Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 203532 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I don't have any memories before Marino vs. Montana in the Super Bowl.

:)     Just some background on the Colts for the young folks.   

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
One of the classic games in NFL history was between the Baltimore Colts and the N.Y. Giants in the NFL Championship game of 1959.   Many think that game established the NFL on TV.

28th December 1958 actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_NFL_Championship_Game

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
[...]MASN is shocked and appalled that MLB would collude with one of it's member clubs. Which is all of course a false front considering that the original panel gave the Nats much less than what they had requested and expressly stated that they would not bankrupt MASN, meaning that MLB was effectively colluding with Angelos up to the point where he sued them.[...]

...and then there was the matter of MLB basically acceding to the current MASN set-up under blackmail from Angelos...nothing wrong with that kind of 'collusion'?

Offline mitlen

28th December 1958 actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_NFL_Championship_Game

Oh, my bad.   I only read about it in history books.    :)

Offline machpost

You should read some of what they say about the Nationals on the Orioles Hangout. Not nice. I never knew so much hate existed between the 2 cities. I am sure this MASN dispute hasn't helped. Angelos is a terrible owner.

Baltimore has a tiny wiener and suffers from second city syndrome, so it's not surprising.

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980
Baltimore has a tiny wiener and suffers from second city syndrome, so it's not surprising.

Are there any parts of Baltimore that is nice like some rich suburb that Cal lives at? The national news always shows the bad areas of Baltimore.

Offline HalfSmokes

Are there any parts of Baltimore that is nice like some rich suburb that Cal lives at? The national news always shows the bad areas of Baltimore.

Yes, same as any city- even the biggest crap hole in America has doctors, professionals, business owners ... And they have to live somewhere.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Notes from a podcast out of Baltimore with an interview with John Angelos. Terrible interviewers, but Angelos had some interesting comments,

http://bmoreopinionated.libsyn...

They asked him three main questions
1) Will MASN carry more local programming?
2) Why aren't Os and Nats always on the same MASN channel?
3) Why won't the Nats honor the contract they signed?

Before answering those questions Anglos spent a couple minutes talking about how fair MASN is to both teams and that no one has claimed they are not fair: "Network never designed to focus on one team over the other". That there is no competition between the Nats and Os, they are both competing with other sports. Which seemed to come out of left field
but I think that MASN has a concern to show no signs of favoritism towards the Os in order to avoid giving the Lerners can cause to void the contract.

His other Responses:
1) Angelos stated that MASN covers a lot of local college basketball and other sports, he did not mention how much less non-game coverage there is on MASN as opposed to CSN, he did not mention how much lower the production values are on MASN. He continued that MASN plans on adding more off season MLB coverage but doesn't know if they can get
the ratings or sponsorship to justify the expense (how then does CSN survive?).

2) Angelos said that putting one team on MASN 1 and the other on MASN 2 would cause the team on MASN 2 to suffer in the ratings. That they considered putting the Nats on MASN 1 to give them a jump start. But that the network would do better with the Os on MASN 1. That to be fair they alternated. Complete BS, overflow networks (ESPN 2 and CSN Plus) don't do as well because people can't find the channel, with the Nats on MASN 2 it would be like both teams had their own primary channel, ratings would improve for both teams because fans could find the games they want to watch. His quotes: "MASN has a better second channel situation than a lot of networks" and "Unfair to one team or the other to always feature one team on the primary channel, because of ratings issues"

His one really interesting point was that MASN has considered alternating channels by year - which would be more than fine.

3) First Angelos corrected the interviewer that the MASN deal was signed with MLB not the Nats. He referred to the dispute as a blip, an unfortunate side track. Angelos went into length on how the Os had groomed the DC market, blah blah blah, that 25-35% of attendence was from DC area. That in 2005 they were already planning on MASN in 2007 when CSN contract expired. That this was a dispute over formulas that will soon be resolved.

He's right about the 35% of attendance, the Os are in 1st and their attendance is terrible. Wah. Although he was nice not to mention that the Nats ratings are half of what the Os are getting as called out in the MASN motions. What I can't figure out is why the Nats get such good attendance and there are so many people wearing Nats gear around town but the ratings are terrible and you still have to ask twice to get the game turned on at half the bars around here.

Offline Natsinpwc

The Block.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
Notes from a podcast out of Baltimore with an interview with John Angelos. Terrible interviewers, but Angelos had some interesting comments,

I wish they would get the MASN/MASN2 confusion ironed out because this O's team is one bad week from 3rd place and I want to know where I can watch it.

Offline Five Banners

"Angelos went into length on how the Os had groomed the DC market, blah blah blah, that 25-35% of attendence was from DC area."

Groomed this market? A market that outpopulates theirs and which granted the Orioles permission to exist groomed this one?
The claim of such a big attendance from this area only reflects poorly on that market; it doesn't create a debt that this market is bound to, especially given MLB's market delineation that was present at the time of the move.

Offline mitlen

"Angelos went into length on how the Os had groomed the DC market, blah blah blah, that 25-35% of attendence was from DC area."

Groomed this market? A market that outpopulates theirs and which granted the Orioles permission to exist groomed this one?
The claim of such a big attendance from this area only reflects poorly on that market; it doesn't create a debt that this market is bound to, especially given MLB's market delineation that was present at the time of the move.

What an arrogant SOB.   

Boycott Baltimore

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I wish they would get the MASN/MASN2 confusion ironed out because this O's team is one bad week from 3rd place and I want to know where I can watch it.
:lmao:

:clap:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
One of the classic games in NFL history was between the Baltimore Colts and the N.Y. Giants in the NFL Championship game of 1959.   Many think that game established the NFL on TV.

A great game. We watched, then Dad and I listened as we drove to Granny's house for the regular Sunday afternoon dinner with the aunts, uncles, and cousins. Still listening as we drive home. I think we saw the last Colt drive. I was pulling for the Giants, of course.

Offline mitlen

A great game. We watched, then Dad and I listened as we drove to Granny's house for the regular Sunday afternoon dinner with the aunts, uncles, and cousins. Still listening as we drive home. I think we saw the last Colt drive. I was pulling for the Giants, of course.

I liked both teams and wasn't disappointed that the Colts won.   Johnny Unitas is a Western PA guy and I always liked Alan "the horse" Ameche.     During those years, the Steelers were generally awful so I always had to have a Plan B.   :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Many think that game established the NFL on TV.

I thought that was the Raiders / Jets in '68...

Offline mitlen

I thought that was the Raiders / Jets in '68...

Heidi?      Plus, that was AFL.   That wasn't real football.   :)

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Heidi?     :)

:thumbs:

I was watching it on our big Zenith console B&W TV, and all of a sudden...  :wtf:

Offline mitlen

I was watching it on our big Zenith console B&W TV, and all of a sudden...  :wtf:

Not sure I watched it but I remember the broo-haha about "Heidi".

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
It would be interesting to hear what the Lerners would say if they were offered a permanent slot on MASN2, with no more flip flopping.

Offline whytev

It would be interesting to hear what the Lerners would say if they were offered a permanent slot on MASN2, with no more flip flopping.

If they got all the money from it, I say go for it.

Offline mitlen

Speaking of which (TV), my grandparents had a Zenith that had a frame that lit up.    Supposed to make the picture easier to watch.   Is this a mindfact?

Offline whytev

Speaking of which (TV), my grandparents had a Zenith that had a frame that lit up.    Supposed to make the picture easier to watch.   Is this a mindfact?

No just some old school snakeoil.

Offline mitlen

No just some old school snakeoil.

Nah, they used that for poison ivy.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
A brief summary of the current status of the MASN case: