Author Topic: Video Games (2012)  (Read 83246 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Video Games
« Reply #25: January 14, 2012, 02:13:33 PM »
No, there's actually a fully-supported Mac version.  I've never tried it but Blizzard is very good about supporting Macs so I would assume it's on par with the Windows version.

I would do some research. I looked into it back when I was playing and most players were using a virtual solutions to play on Windows.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #26: January 14, 2012, 02:14:03 PM »
A year and a half after it came out, I have finally played enough 1v1 games in StarCraft II to make it out of the practice league :lol:

You could have skipped the practice league at any point.

That is a game you have to play every day if you want to be good. I only got up to Platinum League and it was impossible to maintain unless I was playing regularly.

Protoss 4 lyfe, yo!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #27: January 14, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »
No, there's actually a fully-supported Mac version.  I've never tried it but Blizzard is very good about supporting Macs so I would assume it's on par with the Windows version.

Blizzard is the best Mac game developer.  I don't have SC2, but WoW works exactly the same on a Mac as it does on a PC, and patches, xpacs, etc all come out on the same day for both systems.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #28: January 14, 2012, 03:12:01 PM »
I would do some research. I looked into it back when I was playing and most players were using a virtual solutions to play on Windows.

Why would they do this? :shrug:

You could have skipped the practice league at any point.

Oh I know, but I need the practice :lol: Though considering that all of the practice maps start you off with a blocked choke, I don't think it's really very good practice for the "real" world.

That is a game you have to play every day if you want to be good. I only got up to Platinum League and it was impossible to maintain unless I was playing regularly.

Oh I know, but who cares?  I haven't started my placement matches yet, but if I end up in the copper league just dicking around, so what?  I'm playing for fun, not to be the best.  Everyone knows the cyberkoreans > all anyway.

Protoss 4 lyfe, yo!

Eh.  I find Protoss to be the least flexible, personally.  Terrans used to be my comfort zone but I am playing a lot more with Zerg these days and find them much better for reacting quickly to changing battlefield conditions.  They also share the Protoss ability to build static base defense without using up supply (Terrans' biggest weakness, IMO).  Then again I mostly play co-op vs AI and practice games (so far), so what the hell do I know about it? :mg:

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #29: January 14, 2012, 04:01:39 PM »
Why would they do this? :shrug:

I've seen a lot of threads about difficulties running it on OSX. I don't know, because I played on my XPS desktop.

Oh I know, but who cares?  I haven't started my placement matches yet, but if I end up in the copper league just dicking around, so what?  I'm playing for fun, not to be the best.  Everyone knows the cyberkoreans > all anyway.

Well once I reached a certain league because I was playing it a lot, I couldn't play it once in a while. I would get waxed. It's all about precise build orders. And Platinum is still pretty sucky.

I'm not hyper competitive gamer, but 1v1 StarCraft definitely gets me feeling competitive. It's an intense game. I enjoyed the team games (3v3 and 4v4) for fun.

Just explaining why I gave it up, not saying it's like that for everyone.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #30: January 14, 2012, 04:03:49 PM »
Oh I agree.  I probably play 10 co-op games for every 1v1.  I get a bit too worked up over 1v1's, makes me all nervous and twitchy.  PvP team games are fun too, I'd be down if you wanted to team up some time.  I know UMD and cmd used to play as well.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #31: January 14, 2012, 04:08:45 PM »
I don't have my desktop hooked up right now, but I'll let you know when I set it up. Honestly, it will probably be a month or so.

And yeah, I would get nervous when I attacked and stuff playing 1v1. Like heart pounding. It wasn't a particularly relaxing hobby.

I enjoy watching pro matches, although it's been a while since I've tuned in.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #32: January 14, 2012, 07:39:04 PM »
Oh I agree.  I probably play 10 co-op games for every 1v1.  I get a bit too worked up over 1v1's, makes me all nervous and twitchy.  PvP team games are fun too, I'd be down if you wanted to team up some time.  I know UMD and cmd used to play as well.

I still have it, I'll be down to play later tonight (after 11 p.m.) or tomorrow at some point. I stopped playing because I always got owned in 1 v 1 and just lost interest mostly. It's a really good game, though. I don't know how the Koreans do it with their playstyle. Just insane.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #33: January 14, 2012, 07:39:30 PM »
I'm down to get back into SCII if ya'll are playing.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #34: January 14, 2012, 08:04:40 PM »
I'm down to get back into SCII if ya'll are playing.

Is it still $60?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #35: January 14, 2012, 08:06:10 PM »
There's a free version with limited maps, actually.  Not sure what other limits there are.

https://us.battle.net/account/sc2/starter-edition/

I can't see how much the digital version is on Blizzard's store b/c I already own it, but the retail copy is still $60 on their store, yeah.  Not sure if it's cheaper anywhere else.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #36: January 14, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »
I'll have to check out the starter edition.  I wanted to try it but don't want to drop $60 without having played it a bit first to see if I like what it is.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #37: January 14, 2012, 08:52:50 PM »
Is it still $60?

Aw. It was 30$ at Newegg the other day but the deal is over :\

Offline The Chief

« Reply #38: January 14, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »
I guess that would explain why it's sold out.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #39: January 14, 2012, 11:23:38 PM »
StarCraft II anyone?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #40: January 14, 2012, 11:24:50 PM »
Maybe later if I get the starter ed and like it ;)

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #41: January 15, 2012, 12:10:24 AM »
StarCraft II anyone?

You still want to play?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #42: January 15, 2012, 03:04:27 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place, but anyone know where I can get a good deal on a psp memory stick. I have a 2gig but would like to get a bigger one to put movies and what not on for my son. He has a portable dvd player, but the psp is "different" which is entertaining him even more now. I don't want to spend a lot on one, but I'd like at least an 8gig one.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #43: January 15, 2012, 03:19:41 PM »
HOLY CRAP!! The umd of The Incredibles is going for over $150 new on Amazon. Why so expensive?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #44: January 15, 2012, 03:23:11 PM »
Have you seen betamax prices these days!?

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #45: January 15, 2012, 03:30:00 PM »
Have you seen betamax prices these days!?

:lol:

Doing some ebay shopping. Have Incredibles for $5.50, Ice Age for $1.00 and Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters for $.99.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #46: January 15, 2012, 03:55:47 PM »
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place, but anyone know where I can get a good deal on a psp memory stick. I have a 2gig but would like to get a bigger one to put movies and what not on for my son. He has a portable dvd player, but the psp is "different" which is entertaining him even more now. I don't want to spend a lot on one, but I'd like at least an 8gig one.

I wonder if you can use an adapter in a PSP.  Memory Sticks are expensive, like $50 for an 8GB but I saw a 16GB microSD card for $22 that included a bunch of adapters, including a Memory Stick Duo one.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #47: January 15, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »
I wonder if you can use an adapter in a PSP.  Memory Sticks are expensive, like $50 for an 8GB but I saw a 16GB microSD card for $22 that included a bunch of adapters, including a Memory Stick Duo one.

Interesting...

Offline Nathan

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #49: January 15, 2012, 04:07:53 PM »