Author Topic: Must See TV Thread (2012-2014)  (Read 105880 times)

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #1125: February 22, 2013, 12:28:50 PM »
Fords have fans? Do any of them actually drive?

Ford actually makes some very nice cars, it's just that up until recently, they only sold them in Europe while giving us trash.

ford fans are a little pissed off over the shelby review

I guess I can see why, but it's Top Gear, what did they expect?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1126: February 22, 2013, 05:42:01 PM »
ford fans are a little pissed off over the shelby review

how can they be pissed?  Overall he loved the car, he just noted it's cheap and unrefined compared to cars that cost 2-3x, which um...it is.

One of the first cars I drove was an early 1980's Mustang GT.  Ford dropped a 302 V8 into a car designed for a four cylinder.  On wet pavement i could make the back fishtail simply by tapping the breaks.  The clutch was horrid, and steering was so over-assisted you could blow on the wheel to make it turn.

I'm sure things are much improved, but that's the heritage. :)

(and i'm still trying to figure out how Richard beat James even though he was on foot and James was on a bike)

Offline imref

« Reply #1127: February 22, 2013, 05:44:04 PM »
What an awful finale from Downton.

i flew across the country next to two older ladies who spent much of the 5 hour flight discussing it.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #1128: February 22, 2013, 05:49:12 PM »
how can they be pissed?  Overall he loved the car, he just noted it's cheap and unrefined compared to cars that cost 2-3x, which um...it is.

One of the first cars I drove was an early 1980's Mustang GT.  Ford dropped a 302 V8 into a car designed for a four cylinder.  On wet pavement i could make the back fishtail simply by tapping the breaks.  The clutch was horrid, and steering was so over-assisted you could blow on the wheel to make it turn.

I'm sure things are much improved, but that's the heritage. :)

(and i'm still trying to figure out how Richard beat James even though he was on foot and James was on a bike)

richard runs marathons- james is out of shape

in the end he trashed the overall build quality, and for the price- base $54,000, i.e. M3 territory, it should be better

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1129: February 22, 2013, 05:54:02 PM »
I'd have a hard time deciding which is my favorite if I had to choose - James May or Jeremy Clarkson.  Jezza says all the off-the-wall crazy stuff, but Captain Slow much more of a geek in all kinds of manly areas.  I really enjoy his show "James May's Man Lab" as well.

Offline imref

« Reply #1130: February 22, 2013, 06:29:08 PM »
I'd have a hard time deciding which is my favorite if I had to choose - James May or Jeremy Clarkson.  Jezza says all the off-the-wall crazy stuff, but Captain Slow much more of a geek in all kinds of manly areas.  I really enjoy his show "James May's Man Lab" as well.

this is why the American version just doesn't work.  Top Gear is far more about the three personalities than anything else.  It's three ends of a triangle.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1131: February 22, 2013, 06:36:26 PM »
I'm not really a big Richard Hammond fan.  He's OK, but I think May and Clarkson are much more integral to the show.  The US version isn't that bad anymore either.  I watched some of the recent episodes and they're ok.  Though a LOT of the challenges are directly from the UK version.  Like the "RV challenge."  Tanner had a Porsche with a rocket on top very similar to James May's Lotus plus capsule thing.  Rut had a Civic that expanded kinda like Hammond's Land Rover.  And Adam had a car with a a building on top like Jeremy's Citroen with the high rise.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1132: February 22, 2013, 06:43:20 PM »
I'm not really a big Richard Hammond fan.  He's OK, but I think May and Clarkson are much more integral to the show.  The US version isn't that bad anymore either.  I watched some of the recent episodes and they're ok.  Though a LOT of the challenges are directly from the UK version.  Like the "RV challenge."  Tanner had a Porsche with a rocket on top very similar to James May's Lotus plus capsule thing.  Rut had a Civic that expanded kinda like Hammond's Land Rover.  And Adam had a car with a a building on top like Jeremy's Citroen with the high rise.
That was my problem with it when it started.  It was too much of a straight rip off of the Brits.  The Office did this a bit too at the beginning, but it lasted so much longer than the British version they were able to make it their own.  There's so much inventory from the British Top Gear that the American version can go for a while with the British gags.  If they want this show to last at all, they need to create their own identity.  Sounds like they haven't done that yet.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1133: February 22, 2013, 07:52:41 PM »
I'm not really a big Richard Hammond fan.  He's OK, but I think May and Clarkson are much more integral to the show.

He's there for the female viewers. He's nicer on the eyes compared to Clarkson and May.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1134: February 22, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »
:lmao: That's true.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1135: February 22, 2013, 08:07:31 PM »
My evidence:

Offline imref

« Reply #1136: February 22, 2013, 09:11:55 PM »
He's there for the female viewers. He's nicer on the eyes compared to Clarkson and May.

he ruled the Africa episode.

Do we know if he survived in Mexico yet?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1137: February 22, 2013, 09:53:48 PM »
he ruled the Africa episode.

Do we know if he survived in Mexico yet?

yes

Offline imref

« Reply #1138: February 22, 2013, 11:01:19 PM »
I think week 4 was written by some Python alumni.  A couple of great cameos as well.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #1139: February 22, 2013, 11:04:40 PM »
Oh yeah, the Kia "Cee-apostrophe-d" thing followed by the Kia rugby match :lmao:

Offline Coladar

« Reply #1140: February 23, 2013, 11:26:38 PM »
Zero Hour was interesting. My wife and I both liked it. Far fetched? Very much so, but it entertained me. Big Bang Theory was great this week too.

I like Zero Hour as well. I didn't even know what it was when I started watching it, but I find the storyline pretty interesting, and I like how things unfold and keep you guessing.

I didn't know what it was about either, just that it was another fantasy/secrets and mysteries type show. I was looking forward to it for that reason and for Anthony Edwards, but flipped it off after the first five minutes. The pilot's opening seemed to indicate that not only would Rosicrucianism play a decent part in the show, but that they were the 'good guys.' I don't know a whole lot about it, but did read into it a while back after watching the Georgia Guidestones episode of Brad Meltzer's Decoded on History. Based on their portrayal in Decoded and what I read on the Interwebz, a fictional show utilizing them in a favorable light isn't something I could get into. I'll prolly give it another shot at some point, but the pilot starting on that note... wasn't my cup of tea.

Following up on my comments about S2 of Touch - good lord, last night's episode... Everything I posted that I disliked is just getting worse and worse. This doesn't resemble the show I watched last year, not even remotely. It's got two of the same actors, and that's it. I've always hated it when shows take place in LA for no reason beyond the fact it's where most writers live and where the shows film. Now they've obviously moved to LA permanently, losing NYC and all that setting brings a show like this. Further stupidity by using a couple locations over and over only because they've built the set? I get budget constraints and the basics of locations and sets for TV, but come on. Yeah, let's meet at the gun range every episode for our super secret meetings, or use the ever popular newspaper bullpen as the HQ for our wonky little gang. That makes total sense, really.

Then storyline idiocy like 'hey, let's run facial recognition software on that photo! You guys work for a newspaper, of course you've got some l33t spy crap!' Even if the plot were any good, which it isn't, this type of stuff is mindnumbingly stupid and contrived. A show that was so utterly unique changing every last detail for this tired and worn out 'bad guys out to get us,' is bad enough. But pulling nonsense like the supah spy facial ID and using only a handful of sets every episode, stuff they didn't do last year... I'm not sure I can recall a show in the recent past going downhill so dramatically, in so many different ways. I wouldn't care if it weren't for the fact that Touch was such an amazing and unique show, perfect in nearly every way for the first season. I'll give it one more week, but it's a lost cause.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #1141: February 24, 2013, 12:03:17 PM »
What an awful finale from Downton.
Mom looked at me after the end of the show, and said "I don't want to watch this anymore". I had the feeling from the way the series has been developing that they were going to kill off someone, and was on tenterhooks the entire episode trying to figure out who it would be. The next years development- putting the widow and the widower together.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1142: February 24, 2013, 12:43:23 PM »
Bar Rescue is really good so far this season.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1143: February 24, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »
What station/network is it on ?

Bar Rescue is really good so far this season.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1144: February 24, 2013, 07:21:09 PM »
What station/network is it on ?

Spike, episode three is on tonight.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #1145: February 24, 2013, 08:29:17 PM »
Are the Oscars on yet?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1146: February 24, 2013, 08:30:47 PM »

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #1147: February 24, 2013, 09:00:53 PM »
YAY!  Brave won best animated.

Offline imref

« Reply #1148: February 24, 2013, 09:19:56 PM »
Waltz wins best supporting actor, all is right with the world.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1149: February 24, 2013, 10:32:49 PM »
Waltz wins best supporting actor, all is right with the world.
Dude's unstoppably good (though I was pulling for De Niro).