Author Topic: Must See TV Thread (2012-2014)  (Read 103589 times)

Offline Coladar

Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #900: January 08, 2013, 11:32:08 PM »
Ugh. I saw a commercial for some new dreck on the home of trash TV, TLC. God, to imagine that craphole was once the Learning Channel is disgusting. But yeah, Pete Rose apparently has a new reality show coming. Apparently he's gone Woody Allen marrying a woman who could be his grandaughter and is of Asian descent to boot.

I'm of the mind he should be allowed in the HoF, don't think he's Satan incarnate, etc. But doing that trash tv out of desperation, he definitely lost whatever respect I had for him. Between him being despised for gambling and crap like this draeing mainly female viewership, I see a guaranteed failure. Reality show on TLC about a disgraced sports player, I can't imagine who they expect to watch. But all the morons watching BooBooBoo and Polygamy Inc., I'm sure it'll be a hit.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #901: January 09, 2013, 08:08:52 AM »
TV thread is for TV.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #902: January 09, 2013, 09:27:13 PM »
Re watching the top gear Vietnam special- may be my favorite episode of any tv show

One of the best.  I really enjoyed the Bolivia special and the Botswana special too.  This year's special they are going to find the source of the Nile.  I believe it starts January 27th but I'm not sure when it will be on in the US.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #903: January 09, 2013, 09:30:32 PM »
One of the best.  I really enjoyed the Bolivia special and the Botswana special too.  This year's special they are going to find the source of the Nile.  I believe it starts January 27th but I'm not sure when it will be on in the US.
Oh, that'll be rich!  Can't wait for that.  Just did a little looking at that, didn't realize how long that river is.  Holy cow!

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #904: January 09, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »

Have you ever seen the winter olympics special?  That and the episode featuring the reliant robin space shuttle are both MSTV.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #905: January 09, 2013, 10:49:58 PM »
Oh, that'll be rich!  Can't wait for that.  Just did a little looking at that, didn't realize how long that river is.  Holy cow!

Good timing being in Egypt, eh?  Will they bring the Baby Moses frankincense, hotel shampoo, and a nintendo DS as well?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #906: January 10, 2013, 12:06:15 AM »
Good timing being in Egypt, eh?  Will they bring the Baby Moses frankincense, hotel shampoo, and a nintendo DS as well?
The source of the Nile isn't anywhere near Egypt.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #907: January 10, 2013, 07:58:49 AM »
Justified is the best show on TV not on HBO. 

I've got to check it out. I hope it's on Netflix.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #908: January 10, 2013, 06:17:31 PM »
Justified is the best show on TV not on HBO. 

Breaking Bad.

But I do like Justified. Very underrated.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #909: January 10, 2013, 06:30:17 PM »
Anyone seen BBC's Whitechapel? I watched a couple hours of it last night and loved it. Too bad being a 'Washington Wino' I didn't see as much of it as I wanted. The marathon went until 4am, not sure exactly when I checked out.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #910: January 10, 2013, 06:53:39 PM »
I had it on for a bit when I hopped on BBCA hoping for Kitchen Nightmares or Top Gear, but didn't really watch it.  It's a mystery drama show?

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #911: January 10, 2013, 06:56:20 PM »
I had it on for a bit when I hopped on BBCA hoping for Kitchen Nightmares or Top Gear, but didn't really watch it.  It's a mystery drama show?

Kind of yeah, gritty, dark. Good plots and acting.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #912: January 10, 2013, 06:59:34 PM »
Anyone seen BBC's Whitechapel? I watched a couple hours of it last night and loved it. Too bad being a 'Washington Wino' I didn't see as much of it as I wanted. The marathon went until 4am, not sure exactly when I checked out.

I haven't seen it, but when I was London-Nat for a year I lived next to Whitechapel. My grocery store was in Whitechapel, and so were my post office and three of my favorite immigrant dive restaurants.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #913: January 10, 2013, 07:01:03 PM »
I haven't seen it, but when I was London-Nat for a year I lived next to Whitechapel. My grocery store was in Whitechapel, and so were my post office and three of my favorite immigrant dive restaurants.

I would like to see what you think of it. I'm not sure of the era it is supposed to be, maybe you could enlighten me on that.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #914: January 11, 2013, 11:47:10 PM »
I made it through season 2 of Mad Men.  They sure know how to leave you in suspense for the next season.  It's everything else that I'm not quite sure about, though.  Leaves me wanting before those season finales.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #915: January 12, 2013, 02:45:48 AM »

Isn't Whitechapel were the Ripper (His Majesty so and so) plyed his trade?

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #916: January 12, 2013, 09:18:14 AM »

Yep, that's the one.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #917: January 12, 2013, 10:13:39 AM »
Also where the first Salvation Army was founded. There was a statue of the first Salvation Army general right next to a bus stop.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #918: January 12, 2013, 11:52:52 AM »
finished revolution season 1 ... okay it gets a lot better and i'm sticking with it.  my guilty pleasure, i dig it.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #919: January 12, 2013, 04:22:41 PM »
Absolutely. I don't know how that show stayed on the air for so long.

I actually loved that show. I don't really miss it mind you, but I did like it. I love Person of Interest too, and Criminal Minds, Big Bang Theory, CSI, NCIS, Elementery, Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. Just started watching season 1 of East Bound and Down.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #920: January 12, 2013, 04:43:56 PM »
I actually loved that show.
Numb3rs wasn't too bad - not "great" television, but I watched most of it once and was fine with it. It was one of the first TV series put up on Netflix Instant that I saw which was how I found out about it. Pretty much the same as every procedural out there.

I started watching Fringe a few weeks ago (thanks to Amazon Prime Instant Video), just got to the end of season 2... holy crap. I'm sad I missed this while it was running but being able to watch an episode or two every night does let me pick up a lot of things that I would have missed if I watched one episode per week.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #921: January 12, 2013, 05:32:30 PM »
The problem with "Numb3rs" is that about five episodes in they abandoned what made the pilot and first couple of episodes great.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #922: January 13, 2013, 01:21:02 AM »

I love Person of Interest too, and Criminal Minds, Big Bang Theory, CSI, NCIS, Elementery, Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. Just started watching season 1 of East Bound and Down.

Haven't tried The Walking Dead yet, and CSI and NCIS tend to bore me now. Love the rest of your choices. I would add , on PBS Inspector Morse, Inspector Lewis, Doc Martin and Garrow's Law. Also try not to miss Charlie Rose.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #923: January 13, 2013, 01:29:24 AM »
The problem with "Numb3rs" is that about five episodes in they abandoned what made the pilot and first couple of episodes great.
Complete agreement! That is exactly what my parents and I thought too!

Offline Coladar

« Reply #924: January 17, 2013, 05:27:57 PM »
Never watched even a second of the Real Housewives tripe. Same with Kardashians, there are some cultural phenomena I don't even want to try to understand.

But I saw Kevin Hart and the massively underrated JB Smoove had a new sitcom about a trend I've never watched on a channel I've never watched, either. Real Husbands of Hollywood on BET... It is far from genius, but as a sitcom hater, it wasn't bad. Clearly tried desperately to be the african american Curb Your Enthusiasm, but when you've got Robin Thicke as the token white dude comic relief, it'd be hard to screw up.

Smoove... Man, has there ever been a guy so widely applauded who just can never 'make it?' Til Death, CYE... Admittedly he portrays his humor and brands himself largely on stereotypes as the Gary Coleman 'Whatchu talkin bout, Willis?" but the dude has comedy chops. Plays perfectly off Hart in this show, if nothing else. Having Nick Cannon? F*ing genius. Literally the perfect casting choice - the crap they can pull using 'Mimi' as a plot device is near limitless. You couldn't create fiction as perfectly absurd as having a 20ish guy married to Mariah Carey.

Lastly, this season of American Horror Story is going to be the greatest thing in history. It's so utterly insane, so impossible to imagine being green lit by suited execs, yet makes such perfect sense. Christ and Antichrist battle ala Carnivale, aliens, nazi doctors mutilating, angel of death, demonic possession of nuns... Good lord, the most banal part of the show is the fact it's set in a 1960s Catholic insane asylum with all expected abuses present. Sheer and utter genius. I thought about using spoilers for said list, but knowing all that and you'd still be totally clueless until watching the show. To imagine this is by the same dude as glee is both shocking and depressing. Anyone capable of dreaming up such depravity, yet such utterly unique and intriguing plots, wasting time on a high school musical show should be criminalized.