Author Topic: Must See TV Thread (2012-2014)  (Read 103556 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #800: November 06, 2012, 07:28:38 PM »
He's the best television presenter... in the world

I prefer James may,  some of his random crap on BBC (such as a show traveling around England drinking local beers)  is really good, the three really like work best together,  the episodes with only two tend to not be as strong

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #801: November 06, 2012, 07:32:57 PM »
Top Gear only works if Richard, James and Jeremy are together.

And I have yet to see any of their individual shows.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #802: November 06, 2012, 07:52:30 PM »
and from what i read this morning from all the reviews and talking with friends, apparently the show is really beginning to follow the route of the comics, so i'm not sure it's all that different.

again i haven't read them.

Comic books spoilers
In the book the baby dies. All of it after they leave the prison

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #803: November 06, 2012, 08:42:39 PM »
I prefer James may,  some of his random crap on BBC (such as a show traveling around England drinking local beers)  is really good, the three really like work best together,  the episodes with only two tend to not be as strong

Where do you find them?  I've watched some clips of James May's Man Lab on YouTube, I really like what I saw.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #804: November 06, 2012, 08:49:43 PM »
Where do you find them?  I've watched some clips of James May's Man Lab on YouTube, I really like what I saw.

Mostly channel surfing when I'm really bored at my in laws who get bbc America

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #805: November 06, 2012, 10:01:52 PM »
Sounds like he might be a bit like Jeremy Clarkson.

That's a pretty good analogy actually. Anthony Bourdain has a bit more book learning, but also a bit more of a past with heroin addiction and punk rock, so it balances out.

Also Bourdain has written a graphic novel about dystopian gang warfare between sushi chefs. I'm gonna buy it soon.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #806: November 06, 2012, 10:36:06 PM »
That's a pretty good analogy actually. Anthony Bourdain has a bit more book learning, but also a bit more of a past with heroin addiction and punk rock, so it balances out.

Also Bourdain has written a graphic novel about dystopian gang warfare between sushi chefs. I'm gonna buy it soon.

Clarkson is a Torry comedian,  Bourdain is counter culture,  so other than being entertaining,  I don't see the resemblance

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #807: November 06, 2012, 10:48:14 PM »
Clarkson is a Torry comedian,  Bourdain is counter culture,  so other than being entertaining,  I don't see the resemblance

Eh, somewhat foul-mouthed and loony people who say what they're thinking and are regarded as badasses. Bourdain's much more thoughtful though, and connects with the locals rather than finding them funny. Except when they deserve it, like his crazy Russian friend.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #808: November 07, 2012, 02:50:02 AM »
Eh, somewhat foul-mouthed and loony people who say what they're thinking and are regarded as badasses. Bourdain's much more thoughtful though, and connects with the locals rather than finding them funny. Except when they deserve it, like his crazy Russian friend.

That's what I was going by.  Say whatever they think, no internal censor, and damned entertaining even when you don't agree with them.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #809: November 07, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »
When Bourdain was helping to make little folded pancake thingies in someone's house in Finland and an old lady told him that his looked like a sensitive part of the female anatomy, without missing a beat he said "maybe like Paris Hilton on a Monday morning".   

:spit:

That's what I was going by.  Say whatever they think, no internal censor, and damned entertaining even when you don't agree with them.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #810: November 09, 2012, 10:47:09 PM »
The best nonfictional human on television. Next time you want to watch something, make it this:

I need more of this.  Time to check Netflix or Amazon Prime I guess.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #811: November 09, 2012, 11:08:05 PM »

i read Kitchen Confidential and his follow on book a few years ago - they are fantastic books.  Thanks for the heads-up on Mozambique, I haven't caught that episode yet.

Offline imref

« Reply #812: November 09, 2012, 11:08:23 PM »
Top Gear only works if Richard, James and Jeremy are together.

And I have yet to see any of their individual shows.

anyone catch the 50 years of Bond special yet?

Offline imref

« Reply #813: November 09, 2012, 11:08:55 PM »
anthony bourdain is the f'n man.

laos and cambodia were amazing episodes.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #814: November 12, 2012, 08:46:43 AM »
I need more of this.  Time to check Netflix or Amazon Prime I guess.

If you want to see his composure very tested,  watch Namibia.  My personal favorites are Rust Belt, Hudson Valley,  Maine,  and New Jersey

Along those same lines,  Andrew Zimmerman Ethiopia -  he looks ready to say screw it and quit for half the episode

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #815: November 12, 2012, 09:15:33 AM »
Personal favorite Bourdains? Of the most recent seasons, Mozambique, Vietnam, Lebanon (both trips), and Cajun Country Louisiana stand out in my memory, especially the last one, which is one great big joy-hit.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #816: November 12, 2012, 09:21:36 AM »
Worst thing on any show is a stupid dream sequence, I do not want to watch Rick spend the next few weeks taking phone calls from the ghost of Lori. I would definitely like to see Michonne slice up some of those Woodbury punks.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #817: November 12, 2012, 09:33:54 AM »
HOT STOVE is on this am on MLB Network.  ITS ON NOW.  I CAN'T WATCH IT THOUGH!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #818: November 12, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »
been catching up on revolution (think i'm 4 eps deep) ... lots of lost moments in there (not as good though) ... but billy burke is still the freakin man.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #819: November 12, 2012, 01:12:45 PM »
Worst thing on any show is a stupid dream sequence, I do not want to watch Rick spend the next few weeks taking phone calls from the ghost of Lori. I would definitely like to see Michonne slice up some of those Woodbury punks.
I'm not so sure it's a phone call from a ghost. Those old phones didn't need to be plugged into  A/C power like today's phones, but they still carried a charge and got the power to transmit from somewhere. Next week will be interesting to see how they handled it.

why dig 3 graves if you have only 1 body, T -Dog's. Ok, I can see digging them, but there are 3 mounds. Did they show the group discovering the remains of Laurie and Carol? And for those of you with better eyesight, did Rick find the shell or the spent casing?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #820: November 12, 2012, 01:43:29 PM »
michonne is awful.  i hear the character in the comics is HOF, but i can't put up with this biatch.  kill her.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #821: November 12, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »

Direct storyline from the comic book, albeit much earlier in the sequence of events.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #822: November 12, 2012, 02:30:09 PM »
michonne is awful.  i hear the character in the comics is HOF, but i can't put up with this biatch.  kill her.

I think she's awesome. She's definitely 10x better than whiney Andrea.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #823: November 12, 2012, 04:54:32 PM »
I think she's awesome. She's definitely 10x better than whiney Andrea.

andrea isn't good either, but michonne is a terrible character in the show. 

all my friends who love the comic and her character say it's not doing justice.  plus the actress isn't very good.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #824: November 12, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »
been catching up on revolution (think i'm 4 eps deep) ... lots of lost moments in there (not as good though) ... but billy burke is still the freakin man.

that show is awful. i got through like 7 episodes before i realized its just an absurdly ridiculous show and i lost all interest. whiny girl as the lead and an overall concept that is cool but executed so terribly