Author Topic: Must See TV Thread (2012-2014)  (Read 103570 times)

Offline houston-nat

Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #675: August 12, 2012, 03:08:50 PM »
houston, you're just starting the series? You're in for a treat!

Yep, just starting!!

Also now I wanna try The IT Crowd.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #676: August 12, 2012, 04:20:56 PM »
I've seen the black guy with glasses from it in other shows and he's absolutely hilarious.  Haven't actually seen the IT Crowd though.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #677: August 13, 2012, 09:34:10 AM »
I've seen the black guy with glasses from it in other shows and he's absolutely hilarious.  Haven't actually seen the IT Crowd though.

Now he's in the neighborhood watch movie with Vince Vaughn.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #678: August 13, 2012, 05:22:48 PM »
ok after all this gushing in this thread...I just started watching Breaking Bad.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #679: August 13, 2012, 05:26:51 PM »
ok after all this gushing in this thread...I just started watching Breaking Bad.

That's what got me started. You won't be sorry.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #680: August 14, 2012, 12:59:38 PM »
so how many of you dems like "the newsroom"? 

i have liberal friends that can't stand it.  i watched the first three episodes, going to to try and hang around for two more, but i may have to throw in the towel.  it's a damn shame b/c sorkin is very talented and jeff daniels (plus a few of the other characters) are solid ... just the agenda and unrealistic storylines (even though they are using some real events) is really bad. 

i want to like this show and continue to watch, it may just be way too hard.  thank god the cavalry is on its way (homeland/dexter/boardwalk/strike back/etc)

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #681: August 14, 2012, 01:01:56 PM »
So when is it on and what network ?

i have liberal friends that can't stand it.  i watched the first three episodes, going to to try and hang around for two more, but i may have to throw in the towel.  it's a damn shame b/c sorkin is very talented and jeff daniels (plus a few of the other characters) are solid ... just the agenda and unrealistic storylines (even though they are using some real events) is really bad. 

i want to like this show and continue to watch, it may just be way too hard.  thank god the cavalry is on its way (homeland/dexter/boardwalk/strike back/etc)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #682: August 14, 2012, 01:06:58 PM »
So when is it on and what network ?

HBO ... sunday nights ... they've already i think 7 or 8 episodes.

i'm surprised at how much negative reaction there is to the show though. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #683: August 14, 2012, 01:06:59 PM »

I'm interested to see how Dexter follows up on last season's ending, but man, it seems like the show just jumped the shark with the season 5 finale.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #684: August 14, 2012, 01:08:55 PM »
I'm interested to see how Dexter follows up on last season's ending, but man, it seems like the show just jumped the shark with the season 5 finale.

you can watch the first two minutes of the new ep online ... looks juicy.

season 1 was tremendous, but jon lithgow in season 4 was one of the best seasons of any tv show in the history of TV.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #685: August 14, 2012, 01:18:23 PM »
Well, I just had a heart attack

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #686: August 14, 2012, 01:25:47 PM »
Well, I just had a heart attack

haha did you watch it knorr?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #687: August 14, 2012, 01:41:27 PM »

I really don't like sorkin's writing style - too sanctimonious, so I'm really not a fan

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #688: August 14, 2012, 01:46:04 PM »
haha did you watch it knorr?

Yeah, blew my mind.  Now I'm looking forward to season 7.  I hope they don't freak it up.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #689: August 14, 2012, 01:46:21 PM »
i just think he got a bit lazy.  i LOVE most of the concept, like most of the cast ... but there's a lot that is really making this show unwatchable.

>taking real life events and have him put his liberal stamp on the angle the show takes is the wrong way about it.  even if he just made up events and put a liberal twist to it, stupid.  should've just been a middle of the road show. 

>it's called the newsroom ... well with his agenda, it takes away from how news is actually made and the people that are involved in dealing with it. 

again i've only seen the first three so maybe it changes down the road, but from what i have heard it really doesn't.  he's gotten really lazy with this project ... the storylines/dialogue/etc.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #690: August 14, 2012, 01:46:46 PM »
Yeah, blew my mind.  Now I'm looking forward to season 7.  I hope they don't freak it up.

outside of some of season 2 and some of season 5 ... they have done a tremendous job on this show.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #691: August 14, 2012, 02:07:48 PM »
I thought season 6 was complete crap from start to finish, as was the finale of season 5.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #692: August 14, 2012, 02:15:43 PM »
i just think he got a bit lazy.  i LOVE most of the concept, like most of the cast ... but there's a lot that is really making this show unwatchable.

>taking real life events and have him put his liberal stamp on the angle the show takes is the wrong way about it.  even if he just made up events and put a liberal twist to it, stupid.  should've just been a middle of the road show. 

>it's called the newsroom ... well with his agenda, it takes away from how news is actually made and the people that are involved in dealing with it. 

again i've only seen the first three so maybe it changes down the road, but from what i have heard it really doesn't.  he's gotten really lazy with this project ... the storylines/dialogue/etc.

Change news to politics and newsroom to whitehouse, and you've described west wing- sorkin specializes in preachy drivel

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #693: August 14, 2012, 02:17:26 PM »
I like it a lot, But I don't take it too seriously. I like that they get into stories like Osama, Deepwater, and the TEA party. I don't like that they are getting into company politics - it's wasting valuable dramatic TV time.

The one thing about the show that bothers me is that Jane Fonda is in it. I guess I'm of an age, but I really, really don't like her, for her politics when she was younger, and for the fact that she never seem to come to grips with how she behaved.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #694: August 14, 2012, 02:20:05 PM »
I thought season 6 was complete crap from start to finish, as was the finale of season 5.

i thought colin hanks was OUTSTANDING

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #695: August 14, 2012, 09:01:05 PM »
The Newsroom is freaking amazing, huge fan. Love the entire cast and the fresh and relevant storyline.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #696: August 14, 2012, 09:50:58 PM »
The Newsroom is freaking amazing, huge fan. Love the entire cast and the fresh and relevant storyline.

The show is completely fake, unrealistic, idealistic and overall completely absurd as a storyline.

That said, I've enjoyed most of it. I love a good news show.

Though I'm really disappointed in how Sorkin feels the need to make the female characters incredibly weak.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #697: August 14, 2012, 10:20:46 PM »
The show is definitely pushing an agenda but that doesn't annoy me too much. I like Daniels and the rest of the team a lot and the chemistry is pretty good.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #698: August 14, 2012, 11:53:22 PM »
I also find I eagerly await the new episode of The Newsroom every week. Really enjoy it. But I was a huge West Wing fan too.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #699: August 15, 2012, 08:24:17 AM »
I echo UMD's sentiments.