Author Topic: Must See TV Thread (2012-2014)  (Read 103604 times)

Offline houston-nat

Re: Must See TV Thread
« Reply #550: May 15, 2012, 02:19:10 PM »
I think after the crap they pulled in the season finale last night, I'm ready to leave How I Met Your Mother. The plot "revelation" about Barney's bride has been blatantly obvious to everyone watching for at least one full season, and they tried to pass it off as a great surprise when it feels more like a stale idea. If I'm watching next year, it will only be because Ashley Williams is ridonkulously adorable and I'm really glad she came back.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #551: May 15, 2012, 07:42:19 PM »
I gave up on HIMYM when the chick from House and Once Upon a Time guest starred. Couldn't stand her character, who was slimy and... Evil. And this is what, season 7 now, and he never met the mother yet. They pulled some lame ass crap with her feet and the yellow umbrella. Jesus Chris. I just looked it up. The kids playing his kids are 25 and 22 IRL. It was 2030 in the flash forwards at the start of the show, seven years ago. Let's be über generous and say the kids are younger than the actors. Maybe 16 and 17 (the daughter the older one) in 2030. Umm... They have problem this season. Ted should have knocked that nag up. NEXT SEASON.

So wtf? I'm guessing by your post Ted still hasn't met her yet, but they are still using the current year. Did they do anything more about the mother this year? But it's 2012 on the show. Not only have they dragged it out to the point the show is godawful. It's about how he met their freaking mother, and you start the show/story eight years before he met her? Why not start when Ted was in his mothers womb. The entire point of the show was how he met her, yet they dilute and divulge to everyone but Ted. Then you consider the show has gone on so long, it doesn't even make any sense according to the show!!! Quite frankly, Jason Segal and Alyson Hannigan are better than this show, now, in season eight. I don't know why they are still on it, particularly Segal, the big movie star AND writer.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #552: May 15, 2012, 07:55:33 PM »
I gave up a few years ago- the show just seemed to plateau a few years ago to me

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #553: May 15, 2012, 08:34:29 PM »
questions

To answer:
(a) Nope, he hasn't met the mother yet.
(b) We did get confirmation that within 36 months his first child will be born, which makes her 15 in the flash-forwards. So he has 36 months to meet the girl and knock her up, or marry her I guess.
(c) The starting point back in Season 1 is relevant, because Barney marries Robin and Ted meets the mother at that wedding. So I guess it's fair to start with how he met Barney and Robin. Of course, the whole thing IS ridiculous - how my parents met takes 10 minutes to tell - but if you were concerned about the story taking too long to tell, you'd think the show had gone on too long after like 6 episodes.

I agree that Jason Segel is better than the show, and there has been a lot of material lately where he seems disengaged and bored. He's basically being marginalized, because he and Hanigan are having a baby on the show, which means all the jokes they're gonna get from now on are "parenting is so hard" jokes. Ugh. Annoying.

However, I will say that Season 7 had some darn good episodes in it, if you know where to look. "Ducky Tie," "Trilogy Time," and "Now We're Even" are quite funny, and aside from a stupid subplot in the latter, the two-episode arc "Rebound Girl"/"Symphony of Illumination" is one of the 4 or 5 best things they've ever done. Of course, what they all have in common is almost minimal obsession with who the mother is.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #554: May 19, 2012, 09:46:45 AM »
May 26th, Midnight on Adult Swim. You will NOT be disappointed.

Toonami is coming back  :halo: :worship: :metal:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #555: May 19, 2012, 01:29:21 PM »
Not sure if it's on in that part of the country, but PBS put together a special on Johnny Carson to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the "Tonight Show".  Really great.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #556: May 19, 2012, 04:13:22 PM »
I The kids playing his kids are 25 and 22 IRL.

Don't they just recycle footage now?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #557: May 19, 2012, 05:59:58 PM »
Don't they just recycle footage now?

Yep. And the series will end (assuming it ever ends) with a scene that was filmed when they were making season 2. Which at least guarantees that the ending will be more enjoyable than most of the last few seasons.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #558: May 20, 2012, 12:38:32 AM »
I have totally gone crazy for Awake. Love it!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #559: May 20, 2012, 07:29:08 AM »
Don't get too attached salty, it got cancelled. :(

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #560: May 20, 2012, 01:36:26 PM »
Don't get too attached salty, it got cancelled. :(

Glad I avoided it, it looked really good. Once House, The Killing, HIMYM, and a few others wrap up, I'm going to stop watching tv for a while.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #561: May 20, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »
I feel kind of sad that I haven't kept up with House over the years now that it's ending.  Really great show from what I have seen of it.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #562: May 20, 2012, 04:48:01 PM »
I feel kind of sad that I haven't kept up with House over the years now that it's ending.  Really great show from what I have seen of it.

The last few episodes have been great TV. Hugh Laurie is the best actor on TV IMO.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #563: May 20, 2012, 11:18:31 PM »
Loved the season finale of Criminal Minds. It's one of my favorites. I also love GoT, BBT, Person of Interest and The Mentalist.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #564: May 20, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
Sherlock.

Man oh man that was great.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #565: May 21, 2012, 02:23:57 AM »
If I didn't know better, the ending would have had me fooled!

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #566: May 21, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »
I picked it back up again this year. It used to be appointment TV for me. Fortunately, it'll be in reruns for years.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #567: May 21, 2012, 09:48:39 AM »
I've only seen two episodes, but I think it's one of the best re-imaginings of a classic character I've ever seen.

Sherlock.

Man oh man that was great.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #568: May 21, 2012, 11:33:18 AM »
The last few episodes have been great TV. Hugh Laurie is the best actor on TV IMO.

He is a tremendous actor.  I loved when RGIII and him were on Leno last week.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #569: May 21, 2012, 01:17:36 PM »
I've only seen two episodes, but I think it's one of the best re-imaginings of a classic character I've ever seen.

Yeah, the modernization has been brilliantly done. It's very very rare for a TV show to use things like cell phones in a way that doesn't look cheesy and stupid, but they pull it off so well. And I don't know if you saw last night's, but the way they re-wrote the ending to Reichenbach Falls is just plain balls-out amazing.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #570: May 22, 2012, 01:40:03 PM »
It's excellent.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #571: May 22, 2012, 02:33:13 PM »
These next two episodes are going to be amazing!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #572: May 22, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »
These next two episodes are going to be amazing!

game of thrones is amazing. going to start reading the books this summer

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #573: May 22, 2012, 06:39:09 PM »

The TV show is amazing, but the books are even better.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #574: May 22, 2012, 10:48:42 PM »

The TV show is amazing, but the books are even better.

Luckily I just graduated and junk so I don't have to read crappy history books anymore. I just took my roommates second book. I decided I wasn't going to read the first book so hopefully this is a good choice.