Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 173339 times)

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #2625: January 30, 2018, 09:31:49 AM »
Years ago someone stole Mr. Rogers's car. The news put out a story saying it had happened and the next day the car was back with a note saying, 'I'm so sorry- I never would have taken it if I knew it was yours.'

So I looked that one up. While I was, I came across some really interesting rumors about Mr. Rogers. (All false). But wow. The crap folks will make up.

https://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2626: January 30, 2018, 09:44:59 AM »
So I looked that one up. While I was, I came across some really interesting rumors about Mr. Rogers. (All false). But wow. The crap folks will make up.

It was the Seal and/or Marine ones that amused me.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #2627: January 30, 2018, 09:52:01 AM »

Really? Argh! Usually I'm pretty good at Snopesing things but that's one my wife told me years ago. Will have to let her know as well.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2628: January 30, 2018, 10:01:04 AM »
Really? Argh! Usually I'm pretty good at Snopesing things but that's one my wife told me years ago. Will have to let her know as well.

The car one isn’t false. It’s just undetermined. The ones about him being a sniper and tatted up are the ones that are false.

Offline wj73

« Reply #2629: March 04, 2018, 07:03:53 PM »
Black Panther - Marvel Comic stuff is generally not my cup of tea, but I enjoyed Black Panther enormously. The heroes, sidekicks, and bad guys tended to be more nuanced than I’d expected, not the standard one dimensional characters. The CGIs were impressive, and the entire Afro-futuristic look of Wakanda (the hero’s homeland) was incredible. There was much food for thought, but it didn’t pound you with A Message the whole time.

Lots of violence, but it’s comic book violence, not blood and gore violence. And the female warriors kick some serious butt!!  I want a golden spear too!!

Interesting watching it with a almost completely white audience in rural Washington County outside of Hagerstown. From what I could tell from overheard conversations as we left, most of the audience really enjoyed it. So much for the conventional wisdom that white audiences won’t go to movies with a predominantly black cast.

Offline Optics

« Reply #2630: March 06, 2018, 07:01:33 PM »
Black Panther was fantastic. My favorite superhero movie in quite some time. I'd rate it #2 all time superhero movie behind Dark Knight.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2631: March 07, 2018, 09:03:50 PM »
The Big Lebowski turns 20 this week.  The Post did a nice piece where they interviewed critics who panned it (they were legion) when it first came out.

The movie has a devout cult following, but never really sold that well to the masses. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2018/03/06/the-big-lebowski-is-20-we-reached-out-to-the-critics-who-panned-it-to-see-what-they-think-now/?utm_term=.fbe21d2a2e1d

It’s too easy to spill ink waxing about the ways in which Coen brothers’ “The Big Lebowski” has embedded itself in our culture.

The film, which was released 20 years ago this week, is no average cult flick showing at midnight at your local art house theater.

Though the movie was not a huge box-office success, it has since spawned a pseudo-religion, Dudeism, with more than 450,000 “ordained priests;” annual festivals around the country where thousands of costume-clad fans gather to celebrate the film and all its obscure moments; books and academic treatments; White Russian competitions, and legions of fans so fervent that they inspired a film of their own, the documentary, “The Achievers.”

But there is a small group of people who were not impressed with the film, at least when it came out: Many critics were quick to dismiss it as self-indulgent and chaotic. (The Washington Post’s Desson Howe was not one of them — “the Coens have defined and mastered their own bizarre subgenre,” he wrote in his 1998 review, but The Post’s current critic Ann Hornaday has been less impressed).

We took a look at some of the more negative reviews of the film written after its release on March 6, 1998, and reached out with a simple query for the critics who penned them: Would you review “The Big Lebowski” similarly now? Or has your opinion of the movie changed with the benefit of two decades’ time?

etc.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #2632: March 07, 2018, 09:05:42 PM »
The Big Lebowski turns 20 this week.  The Post did a nice piece where they interviewed critics who panned it (they were legion) when it first came out.

The movie has a devout cult following, but never really sold that well to the masses. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2018/03/06/the-big-lebowski-is-20-we-reached-out-to-the-critics-who-panned-it-to-see-what-they-think-now/?utm_term=.fbe21d2a2e1d

etc.

I've never seen it...

...nor have I seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show...  :-[

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2633: March 07, 2018, 09:08:50 PM »
I've never seen it...

I may have seen it but I might have it confused with Kingpin.     :shrug:     OT    I was in W. PA driving my mom to see some of her relatives and we ran across them filming scenes for Kingpin.

Nice ninja  ....  nor I for the Horror Show.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2635: March 07, 2018, 09:13:26 PM »
I haven't seen the Horror show either.  It was a fixture weekly in College Park the whole time I was there, but it was this big cult of people who went weekly, dressed up, and shouted all the right stuff at the right times, I would have felt like an outsider and how does one enjoy the movie like that? 

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #2636: March 07, 2018, 09:16:42 PM »
I haven't seen the Horror show either.  It was a fixture weekly in College Park the whole time I was there, but it was this big cult of people who went weekly, dressed up, and shouted all the right stuff at the right times, I would have felt like an outsider and how does one enjoy the movie like that?

You'd think I'd have tried to see it after all these years...I probably have more Meatloaf and Queen on my playlist than anyone, other than Hendrix and Motley Crue...

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2637: March 07, 2018, 09:18:32 PM »

Sounds like a Gallagher (or Buffett) concert.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2638: March 07, 2018, 10:06:26 PM »
Sounds like a Gallagher (or Buffett) concert.

Buffett is an interesting case.  My older cousin and a couple of his hard partying friends got into Buffett early, and they got me into it just as A1A was emerging as his tour de force (circa 1975, I was a high school senior in the fall).  Changes in Latitude was 2 LP's later and I saw him live at Cap Centre with the Eagles as they debuted Hotel California.  Very few people knew Buffett except when he did Margaritaville and Come Monday, the place lit up.

Hey, why are we doing the spoiler thing with Buffett?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2639: March 07, 2018, 10:08:33 PM »
Buffett is an interesting case.  My older cousin and a couple of his hard partying friends got into Buffett early, and they got me into it just as A1A was emerging as his tour de force (circa 1975, I was a high school senior in the fall).  Changes in Latitude was 2 LP's later and I saw him live at Cap Centre with the Eagles as they debuted Hotel California.  Very few people knew Buffett except when he did Margaritaville and Come Monday, the place lit up.

Hey, why are we doing the spoiler thing with Buffett?

I don't know.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline mitlen

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2642: March 07, 2018, 11:36:24 PM »
I've never seen it...

The horror! :shock: haha It’s time has probably past but I saw Rocky Horror when I was 13 and visiting my sister in college in Boston-midnight showing with all her friends who knew everything to yell and put newspaper over my head during the rain scenes and did the time warp in the aisle, to say it was a blast is an understatement :lol:

Offline wj73

« Reply #2643: March 08, 2018, 09:35:07 AM »
Glad to hear that there are other people who have never seen Rocky Horror Picture Show. I thought I was the only one!

Offline dracnal

« Reply #2644: March 08, 2018, 10:01:16 AM »

Pretend I included all the other people who haven't seen it. Let me sum it up in one word for you:

Don't!

The reason the movie is a cult classic is specifically because it's incredibly terrible and audience participation mocking it has become the whole point. If you watch it on TV at home, you will think, "That's ninety minutes I'll never get back."  If you see it in a theater with other folks joining in (even if you don't), it can still be very entertaining (as Skippy discovered). But yeah, on a TV without the participation... woof. What a stinker.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2645: March 08, 2018, 10:50:00 AM »
Pretend I included all the other people who haven't seen it. Let me sum it up in one word for you:

Don't!

The reason the movie is a cult classic is specifically because it's incredibly terrible and audience participation mocking it has become the whole point. If you watch it on TV at home, you will think, "That's ninety minutes I'll never get back."  If you see it in a theater with other folks joining in (even if you don't), it can still be very entertaining (as Skippy discovered). But yeah, on a TV without the participation... woof. What a stinker.

when I was in Boston last summer they had an outdoor showing in the Quincy Market area.   Lots of people were dressed up and getting involved in the show.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #2646: March 09, 2018, 11:12:05 PM »

etc.

The Big Lebowski (1998) is playing at The AFI Silver Theatre in Silver Spring, MD Fri-Sat-Sun March 9-10-11 at 9:45pm. The theater seats 400 and has a huge screen. Friday included a costume contest with prizes.

https://silver.afi.com/Browsing/Movies/Details/m-0100000043
The AFI Silver Theatre
8633 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, MD 20910

It's one block from the Metro Silver Spring Red Line station, and there are several 6-level public parking garages within a block or two, free on weekends.

There is also an African film festival going on there.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2647: March 10, 2018, 11:30:45 PM »
Hi N2P, good to hear from you again. 

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2648: April 22, 2018, 11:39:34 PM »
Chappaquiddick was fantastic and Jason Clarke deserves every single award invented for his Teddy Kennedy portrayal, he was perfection.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2649: May 03, 2018, 02:17:23 AM »
I just saw Infinity War   :shock: