Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 173254 times)

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #2575: December 17, 2017, 09:53:37 PM »
yeah, pretty much. he's typecast as...himself. kind of hilarious.

i basically look at jurassic world movies as 2-hour insane action fests, no real plot development needed.
Ironically, I was thinking of Thor

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2576: December 18, 2017, 03:48:20 AM »
I'd like to see the movie on Winston Churchill

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2577: December 18, 2017, 09:18:49 AM »
yeah, pretty much. he's typecast as...himself. kind of hilarious.

i basically look at jurassic world movies as 2-hour insane action fests, no real plot development needed.

The book was a superb thriller.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #2578: December 18, 2017, 09:53:56 AM »
I don't think this is a Star Wars spoiler because the character was in Force Awakens and I had the same thought then that I had yesterday after seeing Last Jedi:

Poe Dameron seriously reminds me of Ponch. (For those too young to get the reference, he was Erik Estrada's character on the original CHiPs TV show in the 1970s.)

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2579: December 21, 2017, 06:10:32 PM »
The Disaster Artist was freaking amazing.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2580: December 26, 2017, 10:28:48 PM »
I went to see Jumanji just because we were taking a tour of the Kualoa Ranch when it was being filmed and I wanted to see that gorgeous scenery again but it was surprisingly a terrific film, quite funny and heartwarming even.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #2581: December 26, 2017, 10:57:44 PM »
I went to see Jumanji just because we were taking a tour of the Kualoa Ranch when it was being filmed and I wanted to see that gorgeous scenery again but it was surprisingly a terrific film, quite funny and heartwarming even.

Good to know...we're seeing it in 3D tomorrow...

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2582: December 26, 2017, 11:17:23 PM »
Saw The Last Jedi tonight. Definite thumbs up. 

Offline wj73

« Reply #2583: January 01, 2018, 03:49:06 PM »
Saw Last Jedi this morning and really liked it. Of course there were plot line holes you could drive a truck through, but who cares?  It’s one of those movies where you just buckle up and enjoy the ride.

It was hard at first seeing Carrie Fisher, and they had a nice dedication to her in the credits at the end that brought a tear to my eye.

I was Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher’s age when the first Star Wars movies came out, and somehow I’m still their age now, even though they’re old and grey.  How can that be??  :shock:

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2584: January 01, 2018, 08:20:03 PM »
Saw Last Jedi this morning and really liked it. Of course there were plot line holes you could drive a truck through, but who cares?  It’s one of those movies where you just buckle up and enjoy the ride.

It was hard at first seeing Carrie Fisher, and they had a nice dedication to her in the credits at the end that brought a tear to my eye.

I was Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher’s age when the first Star Wars movies came out, and somehow I’m still their age now, even though they’re old and grey.  How can that be??  :shock:

:lol:
I saw it too, not a huge Star Wars fan so plot holes were lost on me and it was a tad too long but overall really entertaining. is sad to think no more Han, Luke or Leia anymore though.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2585: January 02, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »

:oldy:

Offline wj73

« Reply #2586: January 13, 2018, 07:44:45 PM »
Saw The Post today. Riveting trip down memory lane. Highly recommend.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2587: January 13, 2018, 08:20:21 PM »

We saw The Last Jedi today, worth it though not the best. 

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2588: January 13, 2018, 08:38:37 PM »
We saw "The Post" today as well.  Our eyes were glued to the screen.  Meryl Streep should win an Academy Award.

Even Vark would enjoy this movie.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #2589: January 13, 2018, 09:02:52 PM »

Even Vark would enjoy this movie.

Why do you say that, Mathguy?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2590: January 13, 2018, 09:07:08 PM »
You & I don't agree on very much.  But the tradeoff between "National Security" and "Freedom Of The Press" is a primary story in this movie - one that you'll enjoy watching.

Why do you say that, Mathguy?

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2591: January 13, 2018, 09:13:11 PM »
I realllly want to see it but Meryl realllly bugs me, I’m afraid I won’t be able to get past her :(

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #2592: January 13, 2018, 09:16:44 PM »
I realllly want to see it but Meryl realllly bugs me, I’m afraid I won’t be able to get past her :(

I can't stand her...there's another one too, but I forget her name right now...  :hysterical:

EDIT:  Rene Russo

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2593: January 13, 2018, 09:31:58 PM »
I can't stand her...there's another one too, but I forget her name right now...  :hysterical:

My other is Gwyneth Paltrow, irrationally cannot stand her face.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2594: January 14, 2018, 09:40:22 AM »

Hell, I couldn't stand Katherine Graham.    Then there was Ben boinkin' his feature writer Sally.    :smh:   In no way does this detract from what the Post produced but goodness, it was a regular Peyton Place.    Then, they're callin' out other people's morals.   Is there any of the internal Post intrigue in the movie?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2595: January 14, 2018, 10:44:01 AM »
I'm not going to give out any bits of what was in the movie, but only to say there isn't any "Peyton Place" like drama.

Hell, I couldn't stand Katherine Graham.    Then there was Ben boinkin' his feature writer Sally.    :smh:   In no way does this detract from what the Post produced but goodness, it was a regular Peyton Place.    Then, they're callin' out other people's morals.   Is there any of the internal Post intrigue in the movie?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2596: January 15, 2018, 09:38:17 AM »

That's how I feel about Tom Hanks

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #2597: January 23, 2018, 03:08:15 PM »

I wish, the movie bored me to tears. The story of the Pentagon Papers is fascinating; the story of the Post snatching up the NY Times leftovers is most decidedly not. 

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2598: January 23, 2018, 03:23:07 PM »
I wish, the movie bored me to tears. The story of the Pentagon Papers is fascinating; the story of the Post snatching up the NY Times leftovers is most decidedly not. 

so you're not a kornheiser fan?

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2599: January 23, 2018, 03:25:11 PM »
The Oscar Nominations are out. This is the time of year where I try to watch all of the Best Picture nominated movies (that I haven't already seen) before the awards. It's become harder since they expanded a few years ago. Then I see whether I agree with the voter when they hand out the awards (note: I think they got it right last year). Here are the movies:

Call Me By Your Name

Darkest Hour

Dunkirk

Get Out

Lady Bird

Phantom Thread

The Post

The Shape of Water

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

I've heard good things about them all, except that maybe "Three Billboards isn't that great a movie"  We will have to see.