Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 167689 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #625: October 01, 2012, 11:59:42 PM »
Taken 2?

What is this I don't even

They keep taking his family! They gotta learn!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #626: October 02, 2012, 12:05:24 PM »
They keep taking his family! They gotta learn!

Wait I thought Taken 2 was where they take HIM and Maggie Grace has to save everyone?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #627: October 02, 2012, 12:42:10 PM »
If you haven't seen "The Imposter", I strongly recommend you do so immediately.  Just a great, great documentary.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #628: October 02, 2012, 01:59:15 PM »
Wait I thought Taken 2 was where they take HIM and Maggie Grace has to save everyone?

Every time I see and ad for that movie I instantly think of this:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #629: October 04, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »
hey lofters ...

seeing how we don't have baseball until sunday, i plan on watching the avengers.  i have watched hulk, the two iron mans and captain america.  love 'em all.  but do i really have to watch thor to enjoy the avengers?  i know the bad guy from avengers has something to do with thor.  but instead of me tracking down that film, can i still watch the avengers and not be lost?

can someone give me the cliffnotes if i should know something?  PM or just use the spoiler tag.

much appreciated.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #630: October 04, 2012, 08:52:46 PM »
hey lofters ...

seeing how we don't have baseball until sunday, i plan on watching the avengers.  i have watched hulk, the two iron mans and captain america.  love 'em all.  but do i really have to watch thor to enjoy the avengers?  i know the bad guy from avengers has something to do with thor.  but instead of me tracking down that film, can i still watch the avengers and not be lost?

can someone give me the cliffnotes if i should know something?  PM or just use the spoiler tag.

much appreciated.

I didn't see Thor or either Iron Man and loved the movie.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #631: October 04, 2012, 08:55:13 PM »
All you need to know about the bad guy is he's Thor's "brother".

Now go enjoy Avengers.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #632: October 04, 2012, 08:57:42 PM »
I watched Thor at work, with the rest of the office, which was weird. It was kind of enjoyably brainless, although the plot didn't make much sense and the acting was mostly ridiculous and - well okay fine, Natalie Portman was hot and it was kinda fun and better than working.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #633: October 04, 2012, 09:01:14 PM »
thanks guys.

and yeah the only reason i want to watch thor is natalie portman.  oh man she's gorgeous.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #634: October 05, 2012, 12:00:26 AM »
avengers = absolutely amazing.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #635: October 07, 2012, 06:42:37 PM »
I wish i had seen this earlier to post... TCM has silent films every Sunday at midnight. One of the few things I enjoy, me and Hugh Hefner and just about no one else.

But tonight they've got two silents playing, both baseball to get you in a playoff mood. One from 1919, the other from 1920 and lists Babe Ruth as an actor. I'll be watching, although probably the only one.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #636: October 09, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Okay... Just watched Prometheus. Awesome film. I'll put the rest in spoilers.

It was awesome, but Scott needs to retire. Two reasons. The Alien crap at the end destroys the entire film. Destroys it. Yeah, great, he'll do a sequel and make a crapload of money having Ripley kill the engineers. Whee.

Scott also needs to shut the **** up. He took a masterpiece with a resounding message and explains it for idiots. I watched the film once, and I understood it all. Yeah, I'm not the average audience member. Furthermore, in working on my own endeavor of taking grains from Christianity and warping them into something far different for a novel this year, I've immersed myself in it. I'll admit, it wasn't until then"why are you trying to kill us!" That I "got" it.

I'd been hoping it was the immortality thing. That they were us, and we were David. That is, they were a parasitical lifeform that evolved intelligence. The bodies we see are mules, engineered, and their intelligence is in the parasite. Humanity was their immortality, a breeding farm of mortals to transfer into near death. Then of course, the dude gets infected and goes insane, and clearly that is not the case.

It would have been a better film had that been the case. Instead... engineered. The crapstorm happens approximately two thousand years ago with them dying. And wouldn't you know, Christmas trees? A cross? They are Nephilim. Christ was one of them. In the Bible, at the resurrection, as the rock moves from the tomb, some stories have it that two tall/towering "angels" went inside. I forget if that's in the synoptic gospels or apocryphal since I've been in a haze of religious dogma lately without focusing on who "won" in the end. The big face statue is Christ. The pathetic part is the last survivor. Dude wakes up, and within five minutes he's launching the ship towards earth's gullet? Umm... I'd say the fact humanity is staring you in the face says they've evolved just a bit.

But to read Scott apparently saying some scenes were filmed with the Christ connection? Takes away the majestic story that was the final product. Still an amazing film, but could have done without him explaining it all in interviews. My favorite film of all time? Event Horizon. Offers explanations for Hell without spoiling it with explanations in press. Scott should have heeded their mysteriousness. But combining sci-fi and religion is always a win, so beggars can't be choosers and all that.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #637: October 09, 2012, 04:34:53 PM »
Okay... Just watched Prometheus. Awesome film. I'll put the rest in spoilers.

It was awesome, but Scott needs to retire. Two reasons. The Alien crap at the end destroys the entire film. Destroys it. Yeah, great, he'll do a sequel and make a crapload of money having Ripley kill the engineers. Whee.

Scott also needs to shut the **** up. He took a masterpiece with a resounding message and explains it for idiots. I watched the film once, and I understood it all. Yeah, I'm not the average audience member. Furthermore, in working on my own endeavor of taking grains from Christianity and warping them into something far different for a novel this year, I've immersed myself in it. I'll admit, it wasn't until then"why are you trying to kill us!" That I "got" it.

I'd been hoping it was the immortality thing. That they were us, and we were David. That is, they were a parasitical lifeform that evolved intelligence. The bodies we see are mules, engineered, and their intelligence is in the parasite. Humanity was their immortality, a breeding farm of mortals to transfer into near death. Then of course, the dude gets infected and goes insane, and clearly that is not the case.

It would have been a better film had that been the case. Instead... engineered. The crapstorm happens approximately two thousand years ago with them dying. And wouldn't you know, Christmas trees? A cross? They are Nephilim. Christ was one of them. In the Bible, at the resurrection, as the rock moves from the tomb, some stories have it that two tall/towering "angels" went inside. I forget if that's in the synoptic gospels or apocryphal since I've been in a haze of religious dogma lately without focusing on who "won" in the end. The big face statue is Christ. The pathetic part is the last survivor. Dude wakes up, and within five minutes he's launching the ship towards earth's gullet? Umm... I'd say the fact humanity is staring you in the face says they've evolved just a bit.

But to read Scott apparently saying some scenes were filmed with the Christ connection? Takes away the majestic story that was the final product. Still an amazing film, but could have done without him explaining it all in interviews.

Well:

The alien bit was just fan service. It was pretty bad but they had to put it in there. If you watch throughout the movie, xenomorphs were hinted all over though. The mural was even about a xenomorph queen or whatever their full name is.

As for the religious stuff, I liked how it was intertwined with science.

Also, when the Engineer immediately woke up, he knew he was late for his mission (2000 years late) and was continuing on as planned. It made the Engineer even more upset when David asked for "power/immortality". Sure humans have become evolved when they meet the engineer but I think that would freak the engineer out even more.

I think a Prometheus 2 would be excellent. I hope it's not a "kill all engineer" type movie. I want more lore in the Alien universe.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #638: October 11, 2012, 08:06:16 PM »

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #639: October 11, 2012, 08:06:52 PM »

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #640: October 11, 2012, 09:15:06 PM »
I wanna see Zero Dark Thirty and Argo so bad.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #641: October 13, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »
I just watched Disturbia on TNT. I've always liked that movie. It's nothing great but I enjoy the first half of the movie lol. Shia La whatever is a pretty good actor. That chick is mad hot in the movie too. She's cute in images I've looked up but for some reason she looks incredible in the movie.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #642: October 13, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »
I just watched Disturbia on TNT. I've always liked that movie. It's nothing great but I enjoy the first half of the movie lol. Shia La whatever is a pretty good actor. That chick is mad hot in the movie too. She's cute in images I've looked up but for some reason she looks incredible in the movie.

LOVE that movie!

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #643: October 13, 2012, 09:59:41 PM »
watched apollo 18 on Showtime tonight, not as bad as I expected.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #644: October 13, 2012, 11:20:40 PM »
Cabin in the Woods was really entertaining.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #645: October 14, 2012, 01:37:15 AM »
watched apollo 18 on Showtime tonight, not as bad as I expected.

yeah i want to check that out. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #646: October 17, 2012, 12:34:52 PM »
JMW,

I saw an interview with Michael Jai White and he said the Black Dynamite crew is about to start up a new movie, but this time it'll be an homage to Blazing Saddles. He said the group wanted to become a Monty Python type acting crew.

Can't wait for the new movie!

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #647: October 17, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »
Hahaha no.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #648: October 17, 2012, 05:56:36 PM »
Argo or Looper tonight?

PS I saw Detachment on Showtime. What an overblown script with weird direction, but dear God, Adrien Brody can act. That was an intensely amazing performance in a C movie.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #649: October 17, 2012, 08:16:51 PM »
Argo or Looper tonight?

Double feature.