Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List  (Read 167694 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #550: August 11, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »
Okay, saw The Hurt Locker today.

Can those that saw it let me know what they liked/didn't like about it?

It's a typical action movie. But because it was about the Iraq war and not a made up one, it won academy awards

I haven't seen this view about it. People liked it because of how tense a position like that can be. Winning academy awards for the movie because it was about the Iraq War seems to take away alot of what it accomplished.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #551: August 11, 2012, 07:53:35 PM »
It's a typical action movie. But because it was about the Iraq war and not a made up one, it won academy awards

Most war movies involve actual wars but with dramati license...is that your issue with it?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #552: August 11, 2012, 11:51:12 PM »
Most war movies involve actual wars but with dramati license...is that your issue with it?

I like it for reasons totally separated from the war setting. I like it because it seems to me it's about a junkie who's found his drug, and what happens to him when he loses control of that, and what happens to him when he goes home. The scene in the grocery store, and what followed, was actually my favorite part of the movie.

Well, and I'd be silly to deny that also, it was crazy intense and the direction was stunning. It's like somebody said; a movie with only three explosions can be way more heart-pounding than a movie with 50 explosions.

EDIT: I also like the senselessness and futility that the movie illustrates by introducing a number of characters (at least three) who die more or less immediately. The plot points that go nowhere, too, seem like a confirmation that, hey, in life sometimes a plot goes nowhere too, and in real life you can end up confused and frustrated and caught in a tangle yourself.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #553: August 11, 2012, 11:54:18 PM »
My
Exactly. That's why it won academy awards. Because it was supposed to be a representation of what the Iraq war was. Not because it was a dumb action flick.

He's so hit or miss. Movies like Field of Dreams, Dances with Wolves, Robin Hood, Bull Durham are good.

Then he has stinkers like The Postman, Waterworld, 3000 Miles to Graceland, The Bodyguard, ect.

Oh and he's going to be Jonathan Kent in the new Superman movie

wife's cousin is EOD and has done three tours, I think in the desert. I asked him about it and he flat refused to watch it because the guy that was the "advisor" had never been a team leader or anything like that and was essentially a REMF. If I'm not mistaken, he had to get other people to help him because he had pretty much zero experience. That said, he said some guys he worked with did see it and thought it was pretty decent. I'll have to ask him again though.

I personally, didn't watch it as a "war movie" but a movie about a pretty much unknown part of the military and what they go through. I thought it was one of the most intense movies I've ever seen. I was just constantly waiting for someone to get blown up. While I will not even pretend to know what it's like to be those guys, freak, I can't even understand why anyone would ever want to do that, but I do get the part where people in that line of work aren't always the same as the rest of us. Hell, it's not even close to the same thing, but the people I work with and myself for that matter, don't see things the way you might. We laugh at people who've been stabbed up, and crack jokes about worse things. It's not because we are "hard" or anything like that, it's how we cope. Is this what the movie is trying to portray? Hell if I know, but that's what I took away from it. Yeah, I know... too many words :lol:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #554: August 12, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »
Bourne Legacy was meh

in that case, it's probably awesome

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #555: August 12, 2012, 04:16:54 PM »
Went to see Men In Black 3 at a tiny theater in Fredrick that was still showing in. Just about lost it when they mentioned Davey Johnson, last namedrop I would have expected in that movie.

It was pretty good, the guy they got for young Agent K was great.

The really cheap theater by the Holiday Inn?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #556: August 14, 2012, 11:53:58 AM »
The really cheap theater by the Holiday Inn?

It's Holiday Cinemas right next to the Motel 6, right off Baltimore Pike. I do not go down to Frederick often but downtown is really nice. I wish there were budget theatres in Montgomery County, paying $10+ for a movie is just stupid, and when they say the movie starts at 3, it starts at 3, since they don't play too many ads.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #559: August 14, 2012, 06:11:01 PM »
I deleted it.

:lmao: funny post i forgot to reply.

10 things i hate about you FTW!

Offline Nathan

« Reply #560: August 14, 2012, 06:36:30 PM »
It's Holiday Cinemas right next to the Motel 6, right off Baltimore Pike. I do not go down to Frederick often but downtown is really nice. I wish there were budget theatres in Montgomery County, paying $10+ for a movie is just stupid, and when they say the movie starts at 3, it starts at 3, since they don't play too many ads.

Ah, right.  I used to always go to movies there with my parents when I was a kid.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #561: August 15, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
MDL Holiday Cinemas is $2.75 all shows Tuesdays and has cheap concessions; maske their own popcorn.
 8)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #562: August 15, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »
MDL Holiday Cinemas is $2.75 all shows Tuesdays and has cheap concessions; maske their own popcorn.
 8)

$2.25 Saturday and Sunday morning and on special kids days, it's $1 for the kid and for $3.75 they can get candy, a drink, and popcorn!

For a total of $96.25 you can reserve the party room and have tickets for 25 people.  That's pretty sweet.  It's $40 for the room plus ticket prices for each person.  It's a separate, private room so just your party is there.

http://www.mdlholidaycinemas.com/index.htm

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #563: August 15, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »
Went to see Men In Black 3 at a tiny theater in Fredrick that was still showing in. Just about lost it when they mentioned Davey Johnson, last namedrop I would have expected in that movie.

It was pretty good, the guy they got for young Agent K was great.
The MDL Holiday Cinemas in Frederick MD is currently showing at its 2 theaters, which have huge screens and seat 500 or so:
  Men In Black 3
  Marvel's The Avengers
  Hunger Games (ends tonight)
  Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted (matinees)
  (Sat & Sun only) Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
Starting Friday: Andrew Garfield in The Amazing Spiderman - PG-13

Regular admission is $4.25.  Tuesdays $2.75 and Sat-Sun morning children films $2.25.
http://www.mdlholidaycinemas.com/Now-Showing.html

The few times I've been I've noticed that all the sound comes from the front of the theater, even though there are speakers on the sides.  Huge screens and theaters, and reasonably priced concessions.
 8)

Offline PANatsFan

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #565: August 16, 2012, 11:59:55 AM »
who from this planet hasn't seen dark knight yet?  8)

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #566: August 16, 2012, 03:30:08 PM »

Me. I haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises either.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #567: August 16, 2012, 04:38:57 PM »
Me. I haven't seen The Dark Knight Rises either.

you two need to go get a room (preferably one that is airing TDKR).

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #568: August 16, 2012, 04:44:30 PM »
you two need to go get a room (preferably one that is airing TDKR).

you two? me and who?

Offline blue911

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #570: August 16, 2012, 05:14:36 PM »
you two? me and who?

PA ... i thought everyone in the world had seen TDKR already

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #571: August 16, 2012, 06:43:05 PM »

people with small children

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #572: August 16, 2012, 07:09:48 PM »
....and me.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #573: August 16, 2012, 07:15:26 PM »

Offline Nathan

« Reply #574: August 16, 2012, 07:23:04 PM »
....and me.

So people with small children and people with cats?  Or is it people with small children and people with husbands that act like small children?  :run: :couch: