Author Topic: The Weather (2012)  (Read 44636 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: The Weather (2012)
« Reply #300: July 01, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »
No AC.   :hang:  The storm damaged the pool in my community that it was closed for most of the day yesterday while they cleaned it up and fixed things around.

The one still lingering effect is that the land phone service still hasn't returned. To show how little that is used anymore I didn't even notice it until just now when I went to check it.

I don't know where these people were from but my sister told me yesterday that she met people who were leaving town for the weekend because they had no power. How did you manage for that time? In other words, what did you do to compensate for the things you normally do that require electricity? I heard that around here grocery stores ran out of ice they had stocked for the 4th of July.

we went over to that one gas station with everyone else to charge our phones and such, and we cooked on the grill.

beyond that, we were just hot and bored.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #301: July 01, 2012, 01:16:35 PM »
My parents, two cheap asses that make the Lerners look like free spenders, are without power and have a dead generator way out in the sticks.  Looks like they're going to be sleeping out on their deck until the power is restored in another week or so.

JMW - my aunt and uncle are in Beckley and said it's total misery there right now. Is it getting any better on terms of power or still a disaster?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #302: July 01, 2012, 01:22:12 PM »

JMW - my aunt and uncle are in Beckley and said it's total misery there right now. Is it getting any better on terms of power or still a disaster?

well, I live in uptown Beckley, and we got power about an hour ago.

half of Beckley had power last night, Robert C. Byrd drive was the cutoff point.  Everything on one side of the road had power last night, and everything on my side of the road didn't get power until today.

I think most of Beckley has power now. it was really bad for the few days though. Beckley was the origination point for two tornadoes.

sucks for restaurants and food stores though. they are gonna probably have to throw everything out and re-order their entire inventory.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #303: July 01, 2012, 01:23:53 PM »
I hope everyone from WNFF made it safely through the storms on Friday and last night!

My tree guy:    :$$$:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #304: July 01, 2012, 01:44:29 PM »

WTOP BREAKING NEWS

It could take more than a week for the more than 1 million customers in the D.C. area that lost power from Friday night's storms to get their power back.

Pepco, Dominion Virginia Power and BGE say all of their customers won't be restored until next weekend.

Earlier water restrictions for WSSC customers in Prince George's and Montgomery counties has been lifted. A boil water alert is still in effect for Falls Church Water customers in parts of Tysons Corner, Vienna, Dunn Loring and Merrifield.
Stay with WTOP Radio, WTOP Mobile and @WTOP on Twitter for the latest.
bit.ly/LnVXFg

For more information visit WTOP.com or tune to 103.5 FM.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #305: July 01, 2012, 01:58:37 PM »
My folks had three telephone poles taken out by a giant tree at the end of the street. No power for the foreseeable future. Luckily, they have great neighbors, so they're okay, but yeah, lots of devastation in south arlington.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #306: July 01, 2012, 01:59:44 PM »
WTOP BREAKING NEWS

It could take more than a week for the more than 1 million customers in the D.C. area that lost power from Friday night's storms to get their power back.

Pepco, Dominion Virginia Power and BGE say all of their customers won't be restored until next weekend.

Earlier water restrictions for WSSC customers in Prince George's and Montgomery counties has been lifted. A boil water alert is still in effect for Falls Church Water customers in parts of Tysons Corner, Vienna, Dunn Loring and Merrifield.
Stay with WTOP Radio, WTOP Mobile and @WTOP on Twitter for the latest.
bit.ly/LnVXFg

For more information visit WTOP.com or tune to 103.5 FM.

Dominion still has 257,605 out in Northern virginia - only a drop of about 12-13% since this morning.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #307: July 01, 2012, 02:37:07 PM »
Old Ironsides sails may have had a problem.  The layers of wood and oak helped protect it from being rammed!  Not sure the effect on wind.

See I remember my history lesson from Boston ;)

I remember her last sail down from Marblehead to the harbor after her rebuild.  They loaded her up with sensors to measure the stresses and determined that, under a full rig, her keel could snap.  Still and amazing ship. 

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #308: July 01, 2012, 04:15:52 PM »
Well it withstood a cannonball when it counted!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #309: July 01, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »
I remember her last sail down from Marblehead to the harbor after her rebuild.  They loaded her up with sensors to measure the stresses and determined that, under a full rig, her keel could snap.  Still and amazing ship.

I saw a commentary from a Naval Officer recently who asserted that the ship is still quite seaworthy and he was very critical of the Navy's reluctance to bring her down to Baltimore for the 1812 bicentennial celebration. 

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #310: July 01, 2012, 05:00:10 PM »
The only sailing she does is to turn her around every so often or to take her out when hurricanes occur.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #311: July 01, 2012, 08:02:02 PM »
They still haven't even come and repaired a downed power pole and power lines in the road near my house. They just coned it off. Weird.

Just using the generator for water and fridge/freezer. Figure this is highly localized around me and I'll be one of the last to get repaired -- lights were on down the road last night in both directions. Luckily my house doesn't get too hot.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #312: July 01, 2012, 08:41:56 PM »
They still haven't even come and repaired a downed power pole and power lines in the road near my house. They just coned it off. Weird.

Just using the generator for water and fridge/freezer. Figure this is highly localized around me and I'll be one of the last to get repaired -- lights were on down the road last night in both directions. Luckily my house doesn't get too hot.

Same for me. Saw lights on two or three blocks away in all directions. I figure that means soon my power will be back.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #313: July 01, 2012, 08:57:18 PM »
Never lost power but Suckass (Comcast) just died.  Very strange to say the least.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #314: July 01, 2012, 08:58:32 PM »
Maybe where the server is got turned off by mistake. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #315: July 01, 2012, 09:05:12 PM »
Well, I'm here in Oakton. No power yet. Ironically, my old apartment never lost power.

Is metro running? If they tell people that they have to drive in to work tomorrow, traffic is going to blow.

We went to Rockville yesterday to go shopping and there were trees on the line by grosvenor - check wmata.com and Dr Gridlock

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #316: July 01, 2012, 09:21:06 PM »
Beckley might be getting hit by another storm tonight.  it looks really bad in Huntington right now.

FML.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #317: July 01, 2012, 09:30:14 PM »
Slate, did you just recently move to Oakton?

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #318: July 01, 2012, 09:36:51 PM »
CWG says possible strong maybe "severe" storms late tonight.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #319: July 01, 2012, 11:24:17 PM »
here we go....

just started raining and thundering here in Beckley.

*crosses fingers*

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #320: July 01, 2012, 11:35:22 PM »
gah....power just went out for 2 minutes, then back on.

hopefully our power stays on.

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #321: July 01, 2012, 11:41:40 PM »
I put in a separate thread.  Govt open with unscheduled leave.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=1031

Offline Coladar

« Reply #322: July 01, 2012, 11:52:30 PM »
Neighborhood still without power. On the border of Arlington and Falls Church near Westmoreland. Here's where having a genny pays off. My beautiful Generac 20KW natural gas generator is purring like a kitten, and has enough kick that not only can I run everything in the house but the AC too. I'm sure my neighbors are ready to kill me. Bought it last March, never thought it would pay off this much this soon.

Neighborhood got hit pretty hard. Two massive trees blocked the roads, one fell on the wires and as I type they still lay in the street. When I walked around Friday night, I overheard a woman say at that location, on Haycock road, some 16 year old wasn't breathing for 20 minutes, they performed CPR, couldn't get through to 911, flagged a tow truck down to find help. No way he survived 20 minutes dead, but I can't find word one about it anywhere
Did anyone hear anything about that? I can't believe, even with CPR, anyone survives 20 minutes.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #323: July 02, 2012, 12:35:46 AM »
Slate, did you just recently move to Oakton?

Yep. Just got power back

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #324: July 02, 2012, 12:46:13 AM »
Crazy light show going on to the south.  Too far away to hear much in the way of thunder.