Author Topic: 'Cuse' rotation  (Read 1882 times)

Offline zoom

'Cuse' rotation
« Topic Start: December 23, 2011, 11:38:05 AM »
With Milone and Peacock traded, what is the 'projected' starting rotation for Syracuse this year?  Unfortunately, we know that a few of these arms will be called on to pitch in Washington this year.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Re: 'Cuse' rotation
« Reply #1: December 23, 2011, 01:32:04 PM »
Rosenbaum is the only probable I can think of off the top of my head.  Maybe Giliam?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #2: December 23, 2011, 01:57:08 PM »
Rosenbaum is the only probable I can think of off the top of my head.  Maybe Giliam?

I'd put my money on Rosenbaum and Giliam starting the season at AA.  My guess for AAA would probably be something along the lines of Erik Davis, Tanner Roark, Erik Arnesen, and probably either or both of Stammen/Maya.  As the season approaches, I wouldn't be surprised if they signed a minor league free agent as filler.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3: December 23, 2011, 02:03:59 PM »
I'd put my money on Rosenbaum and Giliam starting the season at AA.  My guess for AAA would probably be something along the lines of Erik Davis, Tanner Roark, Erik Arnesen, and probably either or both of Stammen/Maya.  As the season approaches, I wouldn't be surprised if they signed a minor league free agent as filler.

Rosenbaum will definitely be in AA unless he really shows something in minor league ST. He only has 39 innings in AA.

I'll go with

Arnesen
Meyers - If he's returned from the Yankees
Maya
Stammen
Tatusko/Roark

What I'd really like to see is bumping Perry down to AAA, stretch him out and see if we can't find a flaw in his mechanics that could help him get back on track and be a respectable back end starter for the Nats.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #4: December 23, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »
The cuban kid could win 20 for 'Cuse.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #5: December 23, 2011, 02:21:25 PM »
Would Livo take another minor league deal? It'd be really valuable for us to have him if/when one of our starters goes down.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #6: December 23, 2011, 02:29:15 PM »
No way. Livo will get a major league deal with someone, easy.

Hell I feel more comfortable with Livo than I do Detwiler.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #7: December 23, 2011, 02:33:46 PM »
Detwiler is out of options right? So what do we do with him? Send him to the bullpen? Or we could trade him... for Michael Bourn! :lol:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #8: December 23, 2011, 02:35:08 PM »
zing!

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #9: December 23, 2011, 04:52:55 PM »
I remember when we had a promising AAA rotation and crap here in DC; I like this better.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #10: December 23, 2011, 09:06:36 PM »
I remember when we had a promising AAA rotation and crap here in DC; I like this better.

post of the year candidate right there.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #11: December 26, 2011, 10:09:23 PM »
post of the year candidate right there.

+1

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!
« Reply #12: December 28, 2011, 08:21:17 PM »

Fantastic, and so true.  This state of sub AAA pitching and supior DC pitching is a product of years of farm development.  DC has cahsed in its chips for having, for the first time ever, a real top three rotation.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #13: January 05, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »
 It's nice to know that we have such a great farm system, that as soon as the promising players advanced through the Nats Minor League farm system, they are traded - CAUSE they just aren't good enough for the Nats Major League Team....... :smh:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #14: January 18, 2012, 05:46:27 PM »

- I saw Arnesen pitch for Harrisburg, and doubt that he can pitch in AAA. His fastball goes 88 - 90 mph, his control is only moderate, and he didn;t seem to fool Erie hitters with his breaking stuff.

- Isn't the organization allowed to drop Maya just on principle? Where the principle that somebody younger could benefit from the pitching spot in Syracuse, and we know that what we saw is all there is...not much to Maya.

Offhand, I think Harrisburg will be fun to watch this season, but Syracuse? Maybe not.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #15: January 18, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »
- I saw Arnesen pitch for Harrisburg, and doubt that he can pitch in AAA. His fastball goes 88 - 90 mph, his control is only moderate, and he didn;t seem to fool Erie hitters with his breaking stuff.

I've watched the guy quite a few times through his career, the fastball sits around 90-91 and can touch up to 92.  His sinker is his best pitch and his off-speed stuff is decent on a good day.  Of course, he has already pitched over a 100 innings in AAA and has had moderate success and failure (124.2 IP, 3.90 ERA, 1.31 WHIP).  Arnesen isn't going to be a headliner regardless of where he is, but he is the type of pitcher that fills the back end of the rotation.  He will be at AAA for a good part of the year whether he starts the season there or not.

The problem with dropping Maya is that they owe him the money regardless and there really are not any younger guys that would benefit from the spot at this point.  The better pitchers in the system are all at the lower levels.  That could change by June or July of this upcoming season a bit, but right now with the departure of Peacock and Milone, the top levels are pretty barren in terms of starting pitching.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: January 18, 2012, 09:22:30 PM »

- Isn't the organization allowed to drop Maya just on principle? Where the principle that somebody younger could benefit from the pitching spot in Syracuse, and we know that what we saw is all there is...not much to Maya.

Offhand, I think Harrisburg will be fun to watch this season, but Syracuse? Maybe not.

I think they view Maya as a #7-9 starter this year.  Given we typically use 11-13 that means he's likely to get called up at some point.