Author Topic: Fielder  (Read 215514 times)

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Re: Fielder.
« Reply #3400: January 19, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »
just give him 6 years and $699 million

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #3401: January 19, 2012, 09:20:03 AM »
True. It only takes Fielder to go to Texas for less money to prove us wrong though. I mean, it is a good sign that Gio wanted to be here and immediately wanted an extension.

I'm not staking the perception of this franchise on the whims of one player. The general consensus is that this is a franchise that's on the rise.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #3402: January 19, 2012, 09:23:47 AM »
I'm not staking the perception of this franchise on the whims of one player. The general consensus is that this is a franchise that's on the rise.

I'm in no disagreement with you there. I'm just saying that if Fielder took less money to go to the Rangers then its hard to say this franchise doesn't need to "overpay" when the only target free agent takes less money with another team. That still shouts that we'd need to "overpay" to me. I'm glad now that we didn't overpay for Buerhle but this is a much different situation with much better talent at hand.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #3403: January 19, 2012, 09:24:01 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I've got a bad feeling about this...

That's no first baseman. That's a space station.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #3404: January 19, 2012, 09:25:53 AM »
I agree. The Rangers are going to swoop in and get him despite what their GM says. It makes the most sense.

That's what I assume happens. 

1.  Texas is ready to win it all.  They were 1 strike away this year.  He could put them over the top.
2.  The ballpark is a perfect fit for Fielder.  It's a hitters paradise.
3.  Texas has even less money than us tied up in long term commitments so a huge contract is easier for them.  I think they don't mind letting Hamilton go.  Look at his numbers last year and the number of games missed.  Combine that with his age and I don't think the Rangers want to sign him to a long term deal.  Prince becomes the FOTF.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #3405: January 19, 2012, 09:26:23 AM »
Sign Prince Fielder.

Anybody, please.  Sign him now. 

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #3406: January 19, 2012, 09:27:20 AM »

1.  Texas is ready to win it all.  They were 1 strike away this year.  He could put them over the top.
3.  Texas has even less money than us tied up in long term commitments so a huge contract is easier for them.  I think they don't mind letting Hamilton go.  Look at his numbers last year and the number of games missed.  Combine that with his age and I don't think the Rangers want to sign him to a long term deal.  Prince becomes the FOTF.

I thought Kinsler was the FOTF?

4. Kinsler, Bourbon, Hamilton, Fielder, Cruz, Napoli, Beltre, Moreland, Young

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #3407: January 19, 2012, 09:27:39 AM »
I'm in no disagreement with you there. I'm just saying that if Fielder took less money to go to the Rangers then its hard to say this franchise doesn't need to "overpay" when the only target free agent takes less money with another team. That still shouts that we'd need to "overpay" to me. I'm glad now that we didn't overpay for Buerhle but this is a much different situation with much better talent at hand.

I get you. Prince is our biggest (not only) target this offseason and that could be perceived an indicator of perception if he took less money elsewhere.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #3408: January 19, 2012, 09:28:46 AM »
I thought Kinsler was the FOTF?

4. Kinsler, Bourbon, Hamilton, Fielder, Cruz, Napoli, Beltre, Moreland, Young

I think it's Hamilton.  To be honest, I don't think they have a clear cut FOTF.  I think they need an identity. 

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #3409: January 19, 2012, 09:29:57 AM »
I think it's Hamilton.  To be honest, I don't think they have a clear cut FOTF.  I think they need an identity. 

And some teams just don't have a FOTF. But those teams usually suck.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #3410: January 19, 2012, 09:30:34 AM »

I was going to say Hamilton but I can see them letting him walk. I think they only identity they have now is that they are the clear cut mashing team.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #3411: January 19, 2012, 09:31:03 AM »

One thing I was thinking about this is that it also takes pressure off Texas to spend big money on a FA slugger.  I was sure the Rangers would sign him, but after the Daniels quote I'm not so sure.  I'd still call them the favorite, but I really would not be surprised if some random ass team comes up with him out of the blue.  Dodgers, Blue Jays, back to Milwaukee, who knows. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #3412: January 19, 2012, 09:32:03 AM »

they just lost their ace, so they better be hoping Darvish can step in and immediately post a 5.9 WAR (wilson's number last year, and two wins higher than dicek's best, 1 win better than nomo's best, and 2.5 better than Irabu's best)

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #3413: January 19, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »
One thing I was thinking about this is that it also takes pressure off Texas to spend big money on a FA slugger.  I was sure the Rangers would sign him, but after the Daniels quote I'm not so sure.  I'd still call them the favorite, but I really would not be surprised if some random ass team comes up with him out of the blue.  Dodgers, Blue Jays, back to Milwaukee, who knows. 

If we hadn't been discussed so endlessly by the media, we are still kind of the perfect "random ass team."

Offline Ray D

« Reply #3414: January 19, 2012, 09:46:29 AM »
It only takes Fielder to go to Texas for less money to prove us wrong

I don't think it proves a thing.  You don't know what motivates a person to prefer one city over another.   It could be simply that he likes Mexican food; Mexican food is horrible in DC and good in Texas.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #3415: January 19, 2012, 09:47:35 AM »
Sign Prince.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #3416: January 19, 2012, 09:55:21 AM »
I don't think it proves a thing.  You don't know what motivates a person to prefer one city over another.   It could be simply that he likes Mexican food; Mexican food is horrible in DC and good in Texas.

Food is probably his biggest criteria. I suggest his next meeting be at Ben's Chili Bowl.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3417: January 19, 2012, 09:55:52 AM »
I'd love to see you say any of this to his face.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3418: January 19, 2012, 09:57:41 AM »

It proves that players prefer winners.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #3419: January 19, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »

Or anybody say this to his face, or twitter it to him........No guts - No glory....... :mg:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #3420: January 19, 2012, 10:05:09 AM »
Vega - I'd like to request Lego PF body slamming Lego BiL.  Mummy can follow up if you want.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #3421: January 19, 2012, 10:15:26 AM »
Vega - I'd like to request Lego PF body slamming Lego BiL.  Mummy can follow up if you want.

Me too. That would be funny.

I actually love the guy. I just think it's funny when linty gets motherish when I make fun of his weight. He is a public figure who shouldn't give a rat's behind about what I say.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #3422: January 19, 2012, 10:16:15 AM »

Why would I do that? That would be rude.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3423: January 19, 2012, 10:18:22 AM »
Why would I do that? That would be rude.

As is talking behind someone's back.

Don't really see the difference in the two, to be honest.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #3424: January 19, 2012, 10:22:01 AM »
As is talking behind someone's back.

Don't really see the difference in the two, to be honest.

You have got to stop mothering him like he's your oldest child or something. He's a public figure. It's OK to make certain jokes. There are lines and I have not crossed them. And you certainly don't get to draw the lines anyway. If a whole lot of people on this board get offended, then I would stop. If it's just you and MarlinsDeSade, then that would only encourage me.:~)