If they'd do the following... they could easily start to build a fanbase.
- Winter caravan. Pay the players some cash and let them travel around the VA/NC/MD/DC letting the fans get to know them.
- Get radio deals with all the major cities in VA/NC/MD/DC... it's your 'territory' start promoting yourself as such.
- Put up billboards in VA/NC/MD/DC... doesn't even have to be more than Strasburg with a menacing glare and a phone number
- Supply all the local pro sports teams with Nats swag. T-shirts, Hoodies, hats, you name it. When they're giving an interview, I don't want to see them wearing a Phillies hat... get them Nats gear.
- More videos like the 'in the game' video they did last year where it was like you were part of the team. But don't stop with one... actually expand on that. Fans want players with personalities. Vignettes are a way to do that.
- Take out a full page ad or two in non-DC papers. Have Morse, Gio, JZ, Espinosa and Ramos be the focus. Make these players recognizable.
- Switch an affiliate to either Richmond or Norfolk. You need that Virginia base much more than you do Pennsylvania or New York. Nothing against Harrisburg or Syracuse, but a Nats farm team needs to be in Richmond or Norfolk to build brand recognition.