Author Topic: Ryan Braun is a Juicer?  (Read 18983 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Ryan Braun is a Juicer?
« Reply #150: December 20, 2011, 10:10:02 AM »
MDS - I may be mistaken, but I would have thought the positive test was HIPAA protected.  The stuff about herpes I think is less of a concern.  I agree, once the positive test for synthetic testosterone was leaked, someone could have speculated "hey, maybe he's getting treated for herpes, that would produce these results," which is what you suggest may have happened.  I just disagree that that is the controversial part of the case that is going to end up leading to law suits. 

Blue - I agree that an athlete is responsible for what he or she puts in his / her  body.  There used to be a lot of cold medicine incidents due to pseudofed, and many baseball players go through the exemption process for ADD medicine (imagine - someone who can't pay attention at a baseball game?  never happens).  Here, probably Braun needed to go through an exemption process, and it is not reported that he did.  That said, it too may have been protected information, so it may even be possible that he was authorized to take this stuff.  I could see someone not wanting too much information about their herpes out there for general consumption, even now, and why his side and MLB has not come out with a press conference on this.   

Still, 50 games for a legit medical treatment is pretty far from A-Rod's "Boli," Tejada / Palmeiro's "B-12", and the clear and the cream.  When most of us turn on the hate for the juicers, it is for the illegal substances or substances that have no medical value except to enhance performance.   The legit treatments for actual medical conditions tend to be the most sympathetic cases.