Author Topic: ARMY/NAVY  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: ARMY/NAVY
« Reply #25: December 10, 2011, 04:57:10 PM »
Danny boy is on tv

Offline Slateman

« Reply #26: December 10, 2011, 05:44:51 PM »
9 receptions. Army's leading receiver, for the season, has nine receptions.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #27: December 10, 2011, 05:57:38 PM »
It's a service academy, they're going to ram the ball down your throat.  GO NAVY!!!! 

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #28: December 11, 2011, 09:23:32 PM »
The one thing I'd like to see the service academies change is that if they have an athlete talented enough to go pro, they should allow them to skip their tour of duty provided they act as a spokesperson for their selected branch.

At the very least, they could postpone their service time.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #29: December 12, 2011, 02:46:03 AM »
Being Devils advocate here, their tuition is paid for.  So their service is the return on investment!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #30: December 12, 2011, 06:09:50 AM »
Being Devils advocate here, their tuition is paid for.  So their service is the return on investment!

They do also go in as an officer as well, which let's be honest, isn't such a bad gig. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #31: December 12, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »

not to mention they get paid (although most gets taken right back to pay for uniforms and other crap). My cousin's room mate at west point went in the the corp of engineers. He graduated with a great civil engineering degree, basically gets a hell of an apprenticeship (though he did do a tour in iraq), and the enters the job market debt free with great qualifications after his commitment is over.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #32: December 12, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
They do also go in as an officer as well, which let's be honest, isn't such a bad gig. 

Depends on where you're "gigging" and what your MOS is.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #33: December 12, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »

if you want easy/relative safety, you can find it, my uncle graduated annapolis in 67 and managed to serve logistics in thailand and run a commissary in vietnam

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #34: December 12, 2011, 11:42:43 AM »

My sister-in-law is a Naval officer and has a pretty sweet gig (minus the trips to the Baltic Sea), my brother-in-law, on the other hand, is an Army officer and is somewhere in the azzhole of Afghanistan doing supply duty.  However, neither of them went to a service academy, just OCS.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #35: December 12, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »
if you want easy/relative safety, you can find it, my uncle graduated annapolis in 67 and managed to serve logistics in thailand and run a commissary in vietnam

My sister-in-law is a Naval officer and has a pretty sweet gig (minus the trips to the Baltic Sea), my brother-in-law, on the other hand, is an Army officer and is somewhere in the azzhole of Afghanistan doing supply duty.  However, neither of them went to a service academy, just OCS.

I'm referring more to 11B or Marine "grunt" officers.   

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #36: December 12, 2011, 11:56:11 AM »

My BIL hates his life if that's any consolation. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #37: December 12, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »
My BIL hates his life if that's any consolation. 

I hope all officers are miserabe.    :)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #38: December 12, 2011, 12:01:34 PM »
I hope all officers are miserabe.    :)

I'm sure you're not the only one.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #39: December 12, 2011, 12:09:49 PM »
I'm sure you're not the only one.

...  or even miserable.    LOL

Offline Slateman

« Reply #40: December 12, 2011, 02:21:11 PM »

No it doesn't. Life of an officer > life of the junior enlisted. Way more freedom given to officers. Especially if said junior enlisted is single. You live in the barracks, your life sucks hard. No privacy. No respect. 80% your air or water doesn't function properly.

lol, Marine Infantry officer especially. Jesus, I would have given my left nut to live out in town. I almost got a contract marriage to get the **** out of the barracks. I knew lieutenants who lived in downtown Waikiki or owned their own boat because all their BAH payments went to it.

I had this lieutenant who kept trying to tell me how hard OCS and TBS were. He'd never been on a deployment (I had three under my belt). So I turned to him and I was like, Sir, what are you doing Thursday night?

Well, Corporal, I'll probably catch up on some paperwork, go to the gym and then go to bed early

Really, sir? I'll be supervising field day till one in the morning. After a 27 year old SNCO comes through, tells me I suck as a leader because he found lint underneath one of the dryers and we have to completely re do everything.

Didn't believe me so I bet him a hundred bucks. He showed up at midnight and loe and behold, we're all field daying like crazy because SSgt numbnuts hated duty and found one cigarette butt in the cigarette butt can. LT just stood there for two hours, in civies, just watching. Paid me my money and left shaking his head.

Look, I understand that officers get their crap in at the beginning, but all in all, their lives are infinitely easier and more comfortable than enlisted. Most bases don't let permanent personnel stay in their BOQ simply because they use it for guests and students. One of the many reasons if I go back in, it will be as an officer

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: December 12, 2011, 02:31:08 PM »
No it doesn't. Life of an officer > life of the junior enlisted.

I was a draftee E4 when I got out.   Only thing lower is whalecrap (LOL).    I catch the bus into the city.   It goes through the Pentagon.   I can't believe the number of officers that catch the bus to work.   I never saw such a thing.    Got into a conversation with an officer one day on the bus and told him about my amazement at uniformed folks catching the bus to work.   He asked me, "How did you get to work when you were in the Army?"     I told him, "When I got up I was at work."     :)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #42: December 12, 2011, 02:32:53 PM »
One of the RADM I know likes to slug :shrug:.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #43: December 12, 2011, 02:50:04 PM »
I was a draftee E4 when I got out.   Only thing lower is whalecrap (LOL).    I catch the bus into the city.   It goes through the Pentagon.   I can't believe the number of officers that catch the bus to work.   I never saw such a thing.    Got into a conversation with an officer one day on the bus and told him about my amazement at uniformed folks catching the bus to work.   He asked me, "How did you get to work when you were in the Army?"     I told him, "When I got up I was at work."     :)

Thats because its the Pentagon. There, a major is the equivalent of an E-4 in the rest of the operating forces. Except, they don't have to clean the toilets.

At my old house, in Annandale, there was a bus stop basically in my front yard. Every morning at like 0630, there was half a dozen officers waiting around for the bus. Parking, apparently, is at a premium. And traffic sucked back them.

MDS, likes to slug? Is that some sort of sailor speak for ... well ... I guess I can ask now ... playing gay sailor?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #44: December 12, 2011, 02:59:06 PM »
Slug is a person who is not in a carpool but goes to a place to be picked up by drivers who want to use the HOV lanes.  Sounds weird but it is a ritual around here.  There are a few lots where people park and wait for rides, and drivers go to these lots.  Drive down Crystal Drive sometime around evening rush and you will see them lined up with signs saying where they want to go.   There are specific spots downtown and I suppose at the pentagon and other bid buildings.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #45: December 12, 2011, 02:59:14 PM »
MDS, likes to slug? Is that some sort of sailor speak for ... well ... I guess I can ask now ... playing gay sailor?

it's a fancy word for hitch hiker

Offline Slateman

« Reply #46: December 12, 2011, 03:00:21 PM »
Sounds like a fancy term for prostitute

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #47: December 12, 2011, 03:03:31 PM »
it's a fancy word for hitch hiker

The fabled white collar hitchhiker.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #48: December 12, 2011, 03:10:58 PM »
The fabled white collar hitchhiker.

Did you all see the article about the Sergeant Major (ret) who picked up slugs and then tried to run them over when they naged about his driving?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #49: December 12, 2011, 03:22:01 PM »
Did you all see the article about the Sergeant Major (ret) who picked up slugs and then tried to run them over when they naged about his driving?

That was hilarious.  What a great guy.