Author Topic: Buehrle goes to the Marlins  (Read 765 times)

Offline RL04

Buehrle goes to the Marlins
« Topic Start: December 07, 2011, 09:52:31 PM »
Crap.

:razz:

Offline Obed_Marsh

Re: Buehrle goes to the Marlins
« Reply #1: December 07, 2011, 11:33:12 PM »
Yawn. You just knew it wasn't going to happen when Lorble Beedbunker stated it was the National's #1 priority. That crap is like the kiss of death.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #2: December 08, 2011, 01:06:35 PM »

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #3: December 09, 2011, 05:59:55 AM »
Everyone down here is astonished that Loria is spending.  At least on this one, he spent wisely. Marlins had Volstad and Hand as their #4 and #5 before he signed Buehrle. 

I wasn't all that thrilled with Reyes coming in to play 60% of the time, though he should contribute nicely when he's available.  I would feel much better about Hanley moving to 3B if infield coach Perry Hill hadn't quit. 

Pujols was a crazy idea, gaining about 2 WAR over Gaby and leaving Volstad and Hand in the rotation.  Loria admitted that Pujols was only to put butts in seats, not to add to the W column.  Even clearing an average of $30 per ticket per game, Pujols would have to bring over 10,000 more fans to a game than would attend without him to break even.  It's a small stadium, so I guess Loria is realizing the demographic studies are true, and it will still be empty.  And, with the atrocity that pops up in CF, the last thing fans in the stadium will want to see is a Marlins home run. It make you wonder if Loria will have shag carpeting in the concourse.

Buehrle, competing every 5th day, should provide more W's than Pujols playing every day.  For the Marlins fan, compared to acquiring Pujols, this was a good move even if for the wrong reason.

As for Loria and company, their respect for the team and its history are exemplified in the following picture.  Even some non-Marlins fans will likely notice something wrong.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #4: December 09, 2011, 06:03:12 AM »
For the non-Marlins fans, the Marlins have had four no-hitters.  The pictures are of Al Leiter, Anibal Sanchez, Dontrelle Willis, and A J Burnett.

The problem is, Willis never had a no-hitter.  Missing is Kevin Brown.  Oh, and A J pitched his against the Padres, not the Cubs.  Willis should have his picture under ROY, the Marlins have had 3, not 2 as shown (Hanley and Coghlan).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: December 09, 2011, 08:54:46 AM »
I remembered AJ's and wondered if the gray uniform was a NYY uni.  Something like 9 walks or so, right?  Anibal's I recall - it was his first season before the injury set him back.  I would not have remembered Leiter's, and I was racking my brain on Dontrelle (when?  when?).

So you think the line about 30 -35K attendance management has been pumping out is bunk, I take it?  I like the concept of keeping the stadium small to build an incentive to buy tickets in advance.  I think a problem with OPACY is that they increased seats up to 48,000 after the first year (had been very big before that at about 45K).  It was great for the Ripken era, but there is absolutely no incentive to buy seats in advance for any game other than Opening Day and a midseason Saturday night game v. the NYY or BOS.

Good to see you back, Addict.  Our winter meeting threads are too long and troll filled to be worth reading, but there was strong sentiment here to go after Reyes to fill the leadoff problem and put Desmond out of a job.  There was also a wish for Buehrle, and the usual LAC chorus when he went down to Miami.  He was supposedly our top target.  I think the contract is too much, but I can't see why what has given him decent ERAs in the AL can't transfer.  He'll be good unless / until age / injury catches up to him.

PS - I'm saying ERA even though I usually look at defense independent numbers for a pitcher because he has always outperformed the DIPS-like numbers, even with bad defenses.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: December 09, 2011, 09:03:32 AM »
Well, look who crawled out of his mangrove tangle!     :rofl:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #7: December 09, 2011, 09:09:24 AM »
Our winter meeting threads are too long and troll filled to be worth reading, but there was strong sentiment here to go after Reyes to fill the leadoff problem and put Desmond out of a job.

:nono:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #8: December 09, 2011, 11:32:30 AM »
Our winter meeting threads are too long and troll filled to be worth reading, but there was strong sentiment here to go after Reyes to fill the leadoff problem and put Desmond out of a job.  There was also a wish for Buehrle, and the usual LAC chorus when he went down to Miami.

I disagree.  All I see in those threads is people with different opinions who feel very strongly about those opinions.  The only person truly trolling is Slateman with his constant "OMG WE'RE LOSING THE OFFSEASON" crap.  Other than that you have SF being SF and hammonds being hammonds.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #9: December 09, 2011, 01:13:36 PM »
Chief - lots of "in character" stuff, but very little in the way of analysis, which I think NatsAddict likes.  Those are some long threads, too.  I don't feel I missed a darn thing by jumping 10 pages several times.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #10: December 09, 2011, 01:14:42 PM »
Those are some long threads, too.  I don't feel I missed a darn thing by jumping 10 pages several times.

Well that part I agree with.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #11: December 09, 2011, 01:24:58 PM »
Chief - lots of "in character" stuff, but very little in the way of analysis

Maybe, how much analysis can there be though when the team misses out on an opportunity to sign it's main target without it being sour grapes whining? 

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #12: December 10, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »
Other than that you have hammonds being hammonds.

you mean awesome and telling the truth?  yeah, that's true!  8)