Author Topic: Tablet PC thread (ITT: Tablet Gaming!)  (Read 5019 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Tablets are the future (Tablet PC thread)
« Reply #75: December 05, 2011, 09:10:06 AM »
powerboater sounds like some hustlers i used to know at radio shack, selling all this talk without any regard to the practical difficulties involved,  especially for people with an average technical aptitude.

Hustler???  This thread started out with Madison asking about tablets and I recommended that he go with a game box, I also mentioned that I've heard that there are a lot of Fires being returned, so I'm hardly pushing tablets. I also recommended doing a lot of reading before making a decision.  I do recommend going high end if you plan on buying a tablet so that it doesn't feel like a dinosaur in six months and the better tablets can do just about anything a laptop can do, which is why I put my money up on a real nice one.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #76: December 05, 2011, 09:16:47 AM »
I didn't mean YOU are a hustler, just comparing all your talk about how you can do XYZ with a tablet to the way radio shack salesmen sell people on things.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #77: December 05, 2011, 01:36:05 PM »
All technology feels like a dinasaur after a few weeks, forget 6 months!  I waited months for my droid bionic.  Best out there!  Now something else is better!

Offline PC

« Reply #78: December 05, 2011, 04:35:43 PM »
With this baby I can remote connect to my work PC and do anything I would need to do at the office.  Heck, I can do the same thing with my Droid X, using the microHDMI cable to connect it to my TV and a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

(Image removed from quote.)

And the holes in this position are clear...just from your post!

The work is still being done on the computer.  Connect to your enterprise network through a tablet doesn't change that.  Tablets and, more importantly, mobile OS's aren't powerful enough to replace computers and won't be for many years.  Read this thread from passmark.com forum.

http://www.passmark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3381

Tablets are secondary/additional devices to the computer. The future is tablets BS is what companies like Apple try to push.  Companies like Apple, that have failed on the desktop and have been trying to distract people from that reality for years.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #79: December 05, 2011, 04:48:17 PM »
I'd hate to have to try and do some of the mainframe work I have to do from one of those tiny little tablets. 

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #80: December 05, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »
I'd hate to have to try and do some of the mainframe work I have to do from one of those tiny little tablets. 

Well you can run pbs scripts from almostg anything with sssh

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #81: December 05, 2011, 05:01:03 PM »
Well you can run pbs scripts from almostg anything with sssh

Sure if I wanted to do simple shiznit.

Offline blue911

« Reply #82: December 05, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »
Sure if I wanted to do simple shiznit.

We need to get jobs at the Play Angry Birds place PC mentioned.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #83: December 05, 2011, 06:41:03 PM »
All technology feels like a dinasaur after a few weeks, forget 6 months!  I waited months for my droid bionic.  Best out there!  Now something else is better!

Should have asked first before going for the Bionic.  :)  It was a snakebitten device that was delayed repeatedly until it was finally released just prior to a series of phones that included major upgrades.  Hopefully Motorola will continue to support the phone with updates for the next couple of years but that depends on sales totals compared to their other phones.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #84: December 05, 2011, 06:52:05 PM »
And the holes in this position are clear...just from your post!

The work is still being done on the computer.  Connect to your enterprise network through a tablet doesn't change that.  Tablets and, more importantly, mobile OS's aren't powerful enough to replace computers and won't be for many years.  Read this thread from passmark.com forum.

http://www.passmark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3381

Tablets are secondary/additional devices to the computer. The future is tablets BS is what companies like Apple try to push.  Companies like Apple, that have failed on the desktop and have been trying to distract people from that reality for years.

There are no holes in my position as you have missed my point that tablets are replacing laptops for home use, I did not make this statement for business use.  But even so, a high end tablet with a dock will handle the word processing and spreadsheets that I use at work with no problem.  I understand that others have specific needs that go well beyond that. 

At Best Buy up the street right now I guarantee that there several people looking at tablets and maybe one or two looking at laptops, I don't even know where they hid the PCs as I didn't see any on display.  Next year without a doubt the retail space for laptops will be reduced at the expense of an expanded area for tablets.

Offline PC

« Reply #85: December 05, 2011, 09:05:18 PM »
But what I posted still holds.  Even for the home market, the number of people who can use tablets EXCLUSIVELY, for all of their computer needs, is small.

If laptops and desktops were more expensive and less powerful, the tablet exclusively would be a wonderful solution but that's not the case.  There's no reason to subject yourself to the Rube Goldbergesque solution of connecting a tablet to a dock and keyboard and using an OS that's still not very powerful when you can get a very powerful notebook for a few hundred dollars, less than many tablets.

And a "high end" tablet is still a very low end computer.  I heard someone say, the other day, "An iPad is a computer with a developmental disorder" during a discussion about what should count as a computer as far as market share is concerned.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #86: December 05, 2011, 10:55:57 PM »
At the time the Bionic was one of the Best phones on the Market!  Rated highly by just about every periodical at the time.  Before that, my old phone's screen was on the blink and unusable!  The only place I could dial out or get voicemail was thru bluetooth in my car.  So I bought my Bionic the 1st day it went on sale.  Rivht now, I wish I had a razor but if I waited Id still be out a phone for 5 months!

You can only research models for so long before the next latest and greatest comes along and its fast!  Especially with computers!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #87: December 05, 2011, 11:24:08 PM »
Like tablets, but carving cuneiform very time consuming.  Smoke signals much better on clear day. 

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #88: December 06, 2011, 12:43:47 AM »
Spent 3 hours watching shows on my Fire tonight and then used the easy-to-use browser to pull up a bus schedule for my friend and then browse reddit.

BUT OMG THE FIRE SUCKS

Offline The Chief

« Reply #89: December 06, 2011, 12:49:13 AM »
BUT OMG THE FIRE SUCKS

You're not even close to being on topic :lol:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #90: December 06, 2011, 05:43:43 AM »
We need to get jobs at the Play Angry Birds place PC mentioned.

Angry Birds: Cluster Edition :lmao:

200 compute nodes emitting "caw caw caw" sounds :lmao:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #91: December 06, 2011, 07:00:55 AM »
At the time the Bionic was one of the Best phones on the Market!  Rated highly by just about every periodical at the time.  Before that, my old phone's screen was on the blink and unusable!  The only place I could dial out or get voicemail was thru bluetooth in my car.  So I bought my Bionic the 1st day it went on sale.  Rivht now, I wish I had a razor but if I waited Id still be out a phone for 5 months!

You can only research models for so long before the next latest and greatest comes along and its fast!  Especially with computers!

Well the Razor hit the market just two months after the Bionic, but if you need a phone about all you can do is buy the best available (or get a cheap one on eBay as a bridge).  The Bionic is still a Beast and the Razor has a few major drawbacks anyway, I'm not understanding the point of a super thin phone when the bezel makes it wider and taller than other phones.  On the bright side you didn't end up with a Thunderbolt.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #92: December 06, 2011, 11:34:49 AM »
I think I will get the Fire and root it. Not sure when.  I am mighty mighty tempted to buy the Onlive console first.

May end up with both, who knows.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #94: December 06, 2011, 04:40:24 PM »
It's not surprising. Amazon is selling the Fire at a loss (according to an independent assessment), hoping to make money on Amazon content.
good luck
http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/kindle-fire-update-6-2-removes-root-functionality-20111130/

Offline The Chief

« Reply #95: December 06, 2011, 04:43:39 PM »
Just another reason why open platforms will continue to be relevant for a long long time.  And I mean open in the general sense, not in the Richard Stallman toenail-eating maniac sense.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #96: December 06, 2011, 04:45:32 PM »
Just another reason why open platforms will continue to be relevant for a long long time.

I look at it as you have a choice, if you want Amazon's eco-system, but a fire, if not buy a playbook (basically the same hardware) or a Vizio 8'' if you hate blackberry (a little more, but slightly better hardware)

Offline The Chief

« Reply #97: December 06, 2011, 04:59:28 PM »
I look at it as you have a choice, if you want Amazon's eco-system, but a fire, if not buy a playbook (basically the same hardware) or a Vizio 8'' if you hate blackberry (a little more, but slightly better hardware)

Not saying there aren't options out there, but when you shop for a PC, it's about what they give you, not - as with Android/Apple phones/tablets - what they take away from you.  Rooting and whatnot is nice, but it's extra work and vendor "support" for it is at best tepid.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #98: December 06, 2011, 05:06:10 PM »
Not saying there aren't options out there, but when you shop for a PC, it's about what they give you, not - as with Android/Apple phones/tablets - what they take away from you.  Rooting and whatnot is nice, but it's extra work and vendor "support" for it is at best tepid.

I actually bought a fire specifically for what they 'take away'- I like that it's basically a kindle, browser, and has access to my amazon videos. Some people actually want a product tied to an ecosystem- to me my tablet isn't a computer, it's purely a conduit to my amazon content (primarily my kindle library) and a browser. I would never buy a similarly restricted computer (if mac pushes the app sore any stronger, I think my next desktop will be linux or windows), but I really don't want to even deal with knowing my tablet has an os- I just want to get to the content

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #99: December 06, 2011, 05:08:55 PM »
I'm going straight command line from now on.