Author Topic: The "Code" (split from Davey Johnson thread)  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
do i have to step in and save another thread?!?!

LAC 8)

I'd throw one up-and-in to you but I'd probably be called retarded for having a penis and "old school" or someother such nonsense.   8)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
You're taking this way too personally - at no time did I mention that you were a retard or that you were somehow less of a person for not being a man.

Men handle things differently from women, is that really all that much of a stretch?

The women I've played ball with primarily agree with you that some sort of self-enforced code is retarded, most of the guys I play with think the code is necessary.  Like everything in life, this doesn't translate across the board.

In your opinion, the code is stupid.  Fine.  You win.

Just because two groups of people are different doesn't make it impossible to understand where the other is coming from. Look, you're a good dude, but your posts were impossibly sexist and condescending. People are going to react adversely to that. It's obviously not what you intended, so sorry I was sensitive. Let's forget it.

As it is, i don't think the code is stupid in its entirety. I think there are some traditions that are great and some that simply are archaic, outdated, not relevant, etc,. and some that hurt your team.

I don't think any lead is safe any more in modern baseball. I think a team should play aggressive (NOT bush league) baseball to the last out.

That's all I'm saying.

It was not my intention to start a holy war.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Especially considering the two people currently arguing against this "code" have contradicted themselves already.

+1. Yes, there's a lot of "your code is stupid and mine is better." Who knows. I'm just saying a code does exist and I let the men who play the game at that level figure it out. And, yes, it changes year to year, team to team, game to game, etc. That's why this is a perennial topic on message boards.

Offline hammondsnats

I'd throw one up-and-in to you but I'd probably be called retarded for having a penis and "old school" or someother such nonsense.   8)

i'd charge the mound if you did such a thing.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause

You can only charge the mound if someone throws BEHIND you, not for being a retard with a penis.

Get a unwritten rule book shankapotomous

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
+1. Yes, there's a lot of "your code is stupid and mine is better."

I don't play pro baseball. I have no code.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause

I have no penis

I have no code

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I don't think any lead is safe any more in modern baseball. I think a team should play aggressive (NOT bush league) baseball to the last out.

That's all I'm saying.

And therein lies the problem.  Who is to determine what is "bush league" (a horribly overused term) and what is not?

You play to win, and you play as hard as you can.  And if plunking someone for acting like a punk is necessary, then you do it. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!

You better bring the bat with you, nag.  8)

Offline hammondsnats

You better bring the bat with you, nag.  8)

i'm not nyjer morgan

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
You play to win, and you play as hard as you can.   

So taking an extra should be exactly what you do, regardless of score, right?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Do you believe everyone deserves a trophy?

Also, sac bunts decrease your chances of scoring... so I'm sure the other team would approve of this tactic.

Can't you at least be consistent?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
So taking an extra should be exactly what you do, regardless of score, right?

Yes.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Can't you at least be consistent?

Neither one of those two statements have anything to do with the other one.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Yes.

Which has always been my point?!

Did you read the whole thread?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Neither one of those two statements have anything to do with the other one.

One refers to amatuer ball and the other refers to pro ball.  In one you admit that there's a code of competition to follow no matter what level and the other you say that since you're not MLB there is no code to follow.  Which is it?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
And therein lies the problem.  Who is to determine what is "bush league" (a horribly overused term) and what is not?

You play to win, and you play as hard as you can.  And if plunking someone for acting like a punk is necessary, then you do it. 

Wait, so does that mean I get to plunk you?  :)

Right, so isn't that where the "code" gets murky and in many respects, ineffective? Not every player or every team follows the code. Some guys have codes that make no sense whatsoever (Who was the pitcher that flipped out because ARod stepped on the mound on his way back to the bench??) and some guys are SO extreme. Ozzie Guillen screaming at and benching his pitcher for not plunking a guy comes to mind.

And I never in my life heard about not stealing a base when you're down by a lot of runs. I don't even know how that makes sense. Was it because Nyjer got plunked that they were so pissed that he stole two bases? I don't get it.

Good clean play hard to the last out baseball. Sounds simple right.

Ask 100 people and you'd get 100 different definitions.

Offline Baseball is Life

Yes, you do.
Ben Davis bunting to break up a no-hitter against Randy Johnson is wrong.

Taking the extra base on a ball in the gap when you're up six runs in the third inning is not.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Which has always been my point?!

Did you read the whole thread?

We're disagreeing on bunting for a hit, not taking extra bases.

EDIT:  There's no way this doesn't get split into it's own thread.  We've officially hijacked this one and I think I am to blame here.   Sorry Chief.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
One refers to amatuer ball and the other refers to pro ball.  In one you admit that there's a code of competition to follow no matter what level and the other you say that since you're not MLB there is no code to follow.  Which is it?

Yes, you do.

Both refer to the MLB code. Which I think we all know well enough to comment on.

Myself, I do not have a defined set of unwritten rules which I expect every team to follow. I try to treat every event as its own event.

Offline Baseball is Life

Yes. We agree on that.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
What the freak is happening in here.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Wait, so does that mean I get to plunk you?  :)

Wouldn't be the first time....

Right, so isn't that where the "code" gets murky and in many respects, ineffective? Not every player or every team follows the code. Some guys have codes that make no sense whatsoever (Who was the pitcher that flipped out because ARod stepped on the mound on his way back to the bench??) and some guys are SO extreme. Ozzie Guillen screaming at and benching his pitcher for not plunking a guy comes to mind.

And I never in my life heard about not stealing a base when you're down by a lot of runs. I don't even know how that makes sense. Was it because Nyjer got plunked that they were so pissed that he stole two bases? I don't get it.

Good clean play hard to the last out baseball. Sounds simple right.

Which is why it makes no sense to argue about there being a code - there is no code.  A code assumes uniformity.  All this boils down to is boys getting their feelings hurt and taking it out on the field.  that's it.

Retards with penises.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Ben Davis bunting to break up a no-hitter against Randy Johnson is wrong.

What if your team is trailing 1-0?

If a guy is earning a no-hitter, I'm not sure why everyone feels compelled to make it easier for him.  I woudn't want to be no-hit, I'd want to do anything to get baserunners on, and try to score, etc.  Bunting is just one more way to get on base. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
You guys do remember the outrage over the Davis-Johnson at-bat, right?

So many editorials about how "the code" was broken.