Author Topic: RFK at 50 Years OLD  (Read 4260 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
RFK at 50 Years OLD
« Topic Start: October 01, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
Great Article from Boz!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/rfk-stadium-after-50-years-its-still-personal/2011/09/28/gIQAit7kAL_story.html

My memories of RFK!

Baseball - My first baseball game!  Other baseball games where the entire stadium would reverberate with "We want a Hit". People would slam the seats next to them and stomp and the entire stadium would shake!  Small chairs around the track of the stadium and you would stand in line on Autograph day.  Never did it get Frank Howard's that day.  Got Denny McLain though!

Of course - April 2005.  Nuff said!

Concerts:  McCartney - 4th of July Concert - Kids didn't know who the Beatles were and only knew Paul via his other band, Wings.  He was going solo and sang a lot of hits.  Opened up with "Today is your Birthday!"  Happy Birthday to you!  Also, I did go to the "Give back" concert after 9-11.  It was great but it ran so long, I was afraid I'd never get home on the subway so I missed a few of the final Great acts!

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: RFK at 50 Years OLD
« Reply #1: October 01, 2011, 02:11:44 PM »
It's where I attended my first-ever live sporting event - Senators vs Red Sox, summer 1963, at age 10 with my father (Nats lost 7-5 but I got to see Chuck Hinton launch one).

I did get to one regular-season Redskins match (1979 vs Packers on a ticket of one of my sister's co-worker), and in the 1980's the Redskins still didn't require persons on the STH wait-list to buy the pre-season matches (only they and the Jets had this policy), so my father and I got out to a few of those - including 1985 against the New England Patriots...the Skins were trailing and most of the people left early, but we stayed and were treated to the 15 Minutes of Fame of Babe Laufenberg in a 37-35 comeback win.

My memories of the place since then are mostly soccer-related, apart from the first three Nats seasons (section 311, from which I was unable to see the scoreboard but had a great first-base-line sightline otherwise) and the odd bit of exhibition baseball...DC United (STH 2004-10, also watched them win the title over Colorado in the rain in 1997)...the old Freedom with Mia Hamm, Abby Wambach and Jen 'Iron Lady' Grubb...the World Cup in 1994 and several other international matches.

I haven't been back there since United's home finale this past October - might get out to one of the three remaining United fixtures. When the place finally does go I'll miss the matches and the occasional really good beer (really miss Foggy Bottom Pils) along with the accessibility...what I won't miss are the grubby loos and the attitude-pulling security staff (wonder if they're part of the reason why United's attendance isn't back up despite the team's much-improved play).

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: October 01, 2011, 02:27:39 PM »
I just remember the place shaking during skins games, most of my early baseball memories are OPACY

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #3: October 01, 2011, 02:48:37 PM »
I just remember the place shaking during skins games[...]

...remember when the place used to shake for Nats matches as well in the year of the '05 Overachievers - and how the Nats were surprised by this (Brad Wilkerson remarked about that) since they had previously played in the empty echoing Stade Olympique.

[Still does shake, of course, in the Screaming Eagles/Barra Brava areas during United matches.]

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #4: October 01, 2011, 02:55:06 PM »
i love her.  miss her in some aspects, but Nats Park is a FANTASTIC place to watch a ballgame.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: October 01, 2011, 03:00:44 PM »
It's like a dump you used live in great memories, but noway you're moving back

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #6: October 01, 2011, 03:22:31 PM »
DC Stadium was like a palace when it opened. Find pictures of Griffith Stadium, capacity 25,000 for baseball, including the bleachers. And you would really bleach during a day game in Washington. DC/RFK Stadium was an all-seater. No bleachers, no splinters, and short dimensions. Yes, it was laughable when Austin <XXXXXX> complained that the fences were too far, and when visiting players moaned that they couldn't "go yard" and "jack one" and all the other lame slang that ESPN uses for a home run.

I remember sitting in the PEPCO box, which was in that amazing place, the mezzanine. Ushers came by to take hotdog orders....what luxury!!

In my first game at DC Stadium, I remember Don Lock running down everything in CF.

First, and only, Redskin game there was a disgusting loss to the Cardinals. Otto Graham was angry with Sonny, so the Skins started Dick Shiner, local hero from U of Maryland. Didn't help or hinder, since Jonny Roland and John David Crow ran throw holes that even we could see from the upper deck. Giant.

Later saw a couple of DC United games, including the second year MLS championship, when they broke the stadium's attendance record. The place was loud.

Saw a couple of games in '06 and took my daughter to a game in '07, in the cheap seats almost directly behind home plate. Pointed out the remaining Hondo-seats, and she was amazed that anyone could hit the ball up there. By that time, it was obvious that RFK had been neglected. Had been turned into a dump.

Underneath it, DC/RFK was the best of the dual-purpose parks built in the '60s and '70s. One of two with a grass field. The architect purposely shaped the upper deck to put extra seats around the 50 yard line, which accounts for the curves in the roof. That roof was intended to provide shade all around -- the place really wanted to host baseball as well as the Redskins. No bleachers, less direct sun for summer-time day games. (For comparison, remember Shea, which was built at the same time, and intended for both the Mets and the Jets.).

Still, we did not have baseball at DC/RFK long enough to love it the way fans loved the cigar smoke and Bond Bread factory smell of Griffith, but a good place.

(Of course, the new park is delightful!)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #7: October 01, 2011, 03:27:15 PM »
PS: DC Stadium forced George Preston Marshall to integrate the Redskins. Interior Department owned the new stadium, and Stewart Udall told Marshall that the US government would not lease the stadium to a segregated business.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #8: October 01, 2011, 03:36:40 PM »
From Wiki:

Since the stadium is on a direct sight line with the Washington Monument and the United States Capitol, light towers were not allowed; instead, arc lights were placed on its curved, dipping roof.

That is interesting in how it would impact the chances for the Skins to build a giant stadium with a retractable roof on the RFK grounds.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #9: October 01, 2011, 04:07:53 PM »
First visits to RFK were for the Crackerjack Oldtimer games.  Growing up we never made it to see the Redskins there, but I did make it to a couple games during the Norv years before they moved.  Before the Nats returned I saw the United there four or five times a year, about 40-50 total games.  Also during that time I caught the Who, Stones, Dead, U2, HFSetivals, Floyd, and Tibetan Freedom Fest.  Then the Nats came and I was able to catch my usual ~25 games a year.  My last visit was the Eagle Bowl last winter, although I'm way overdue to see the United.

Memories of RFK center around the great tailgating scene as much as the live events. 
--The 2005 opener was my #1 moment, can't remember much after the tailgate, but I'm sure we had fun.
--Tibetan Freedom Fest Day 2 had most of the crowd leave before the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Pearl Jam came on.  There couldn't have been more than a couple thousand of us down on the lawn.
--David Beckham's first visit with the Galaxy.  Out of control tailgating.  After the group of kids next to us went into the game with their dads, we watched their moms pee in the bushes.
--Chief pointing to the sky every night in June 2005 as another save went in the books.
--Marco Etcheverry making his feet move in some sort of impossible spinning motion before kicking the goal of the year.  Then watching the confetti swirl in the updraft for what seemed like an eternity.
--Tibetan Freedom Fest Day 1 ending with what sounded like a bomb going off, turns out some chick had gotten struck by random lightning without warning when it wasn't even raining.
--Being passed a joint at the Stones that was spiked with a little something I didn't expect.
--Best tailgate of the year every year in the early 90s was the Dead.  Only problem was when the actual concert began and all those morons started that freaky dance to that horrible music.
--Convincing a bunch of kids that throwing french fries dipped in ketchup off the fifth level deck was a fun idea.
--Skipping out of work on a blazing hot afternoon to see Frank Robinson pull Matt Lecroy out of the game mid-inning.
--Watching the Skins lose to the Giants on TV in the parking lot before watching the United go down 4-0 in the first half of a playoff game.  Not exactly fun, but memorable.
--Taking my then 1 year old to her first ballgame.  Mommy carried my beers through security while I got searched like a criminal.
--Barry Bonds, Ryan Church, and Ryan Zimmerman HRs.  Somehow power shots were more memorable at RFK than at Nats Park.
--Hawking a loogie at the back of the five story high Mia Hamm banner so that from the ground it looked like she was a dot head.
--Teddy coming down on the zip wire back when the President's Races were more creative.

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #10: October 01, 2011, 05:05:28 PM »

--Teddy coming down on the zip wire back when the President's Races were more creative.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #11: October 01, 2011, 05:31:10 PM »
Went to the first baseball game there in '62 0r '63 when the stadium opened. Used to go to the Redskin games with my father , brother and uncle until I got my own season tickets in '67. Actually saw the first bowl game ever played there  (the US Bowl ) to a virtuaLLY EMPTY STADIUM. wENT TO THE FIRST wASHINGTON fEDERALS GAME THERE AND TO NEVER RETURN. Used to attend the diplomaTS SOCCER GAMES IN THE LATE '60S'.A lot of great memories when G. Allen coached and then Gibbs I.The place rocked when the Skins were winning. Never missed a home play off game and actually went to four of the five Super Bowls.Took my pregnant wife and then my daughter to the games until the Skins moved to Fed Ex.

Gave up my ST this year at that POS in PG county after not attending a Redskin game in over 10 years. I liked RFK because you always felt you were part of the action. All in all ....good memories

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #12: October 01, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »
Wow, RFK.  Where to start?  Seeing Johan Cruyff play for the Diplomats...Olympic games in 1996 (Portugal/USA and Mexico/Nigeria, was out of the country for the '92 WC)...DC United's first ever international friendly vs Leeds United (when Leeds was still in the Premier League)...seeing baseball at RFK for the first time in '05...the Nats/Yankees series in '06...RFK is to me kind of like going to visit grandma. 

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #13: October 01, 2011, 10:32:07 PM »
I was in the Army and saw a double header between Washington and Cleveland.

Saw the 1983 NFC Championship game when Grant (?) knocked out the Dallas QB.

Saw the Federals, Diplomats, Phil Collins, Stones, Dead  ...   Dips season tickets.

Saw Walter Peyton, Cincinnati, Houston ....

Saw the old timers' game.

EDIT:   This isn't even counting all the great Nats' games I saw.   Payin' $7 and sittin' in the outfield eating peanuts  ....   loved it !!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #14: October 01, 2011, 10:39:30 PM »
As far as I know, it's the only stadium in the country with a raccoon living in the team store.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #15: October 02, 2011, 09:50:47 AM »
We used to come up from Florida when I was a kid to visit my relatives in Baltimore. I got to go to a Skins game against the Eagles at the old RFK. That place was rocking that day. Awesome football environment. The only other events that I've been to since have been Nats games and HFSestival.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #16: October 22, 2017, 11:27:32 AM »
Getting ready to head over to RFK for possibly the last time, the final finale as the United move out. Should be a good time tailgating in lot 8, but with the kids coming along it seems doubtful that this last visit will end up ranking up there all those crazy moments from my extended misspent youth.

Offline Elvir Ovcina

« Reply #17: October 22, 2017, 12:59:24 PM »
Getting ready to head over to RFK for possibly the last time, the final finale as the United move out. Should be a good time tailgating in lot 8, but with the kids coming along it seems doubtful that this last visit will end up ranking up there all those crazy moments from my extended misspent youth.

I'll be there too.  I'm a bit worried that I might actually cry, so I'll have to get good and drunk to make up an excuse. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #18: October 23, 2017, 03:23:07 AM »
So what will happen to RFK ?  Will it be torn down and condos built in its place ?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #19: October 23, 2017, 03:27:33 AM »
Mitlen - I would never have imagined you were a Dead Head.

Saw some great Bruce Springsteen shows at RFK.  One made me sing ThunderRoad to my wife all the way home from the concert.

I was in the Army and saw a double header between Washington and Cleveland.

Saw the 1983 NFC Championship game when Grant (?) knocked out the Dallas QB.

Saw the Federals, Diplomats, Phil Collins, Stones, Dead  ...   Dips season tickets.

Saw Walter Peyton, Cincinnati, Houston ....

Saw the old timers' game.

EDIT:   This isn't even counting all the great Nats' games I saw.   Payin' $7 and sittin' in the outfield eating peanuts  ....   loved it !!

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20: October 23, 2017, 07:51:20 AM »
Mitlen - I would never have imagined you were a Dead Head.

Saw some great Bruce Springsteen shows at RFK.  One made me sing ThunderRoad to my wife all the way home from the concert.

Is this a record? Quoting a six year old post? Where are Mitlen and Spider anyways?

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #21: October 23, 2017, 09:25:53 AM »
It's where I attended my first-ever live sporting event - Senators vs Red Sox, summer 1963, at age 10 with my father (Nats lost 7-5 but I got to see Chuck Hinton launch one).

I did get to one regular-season Redskins match (1979 vs Packers on a ticket of one of my sister's co-worker), and in the 1980's the Redskins still didn't require persons on the STH wait-list to buy the pre-season matches (only they and the Jets had this policy), so my father and I got out to a few of those - including 1985 against the New England Patriots...the Skins were trailing and most of the people left early, but we stayed and were treated to the 15 Minutes of Fame of Babe Laufenberg in a 37-35 comeback win.

My memories of the place since then are mostly soccer-related, apart from the first three Nats seasons (section 311, from which I was unable to see the scoreboard but had a great first-base-line sightline otherwise) and the odd bit of exhibition baseball...DC United (STH 2004-10, also watched them win the title over Colorado in the rain in 1997)...the old Freedom with Mia Hamm, Abby Wambach and Jen 'Iron Lady' Grubb...the World Cup in 1994 and several other international matches.

I haven't been back there since United's home finale this past October - might get out to one of the three remaining United fixtures. When the place finally does go I'll miss the matches and the occasional really good beer (really miss Foggy Bottom Pils) along with the accessibility...what I won't miss are the grubby loos and the attitude-pulling security staff (wonder if they're part of the reason why United's attendance isn't back up despite the team's much-improved play).

The above (posted six years ago) summarises my own experiences at RFK through the years...I did get out to the DC United farewell yesterday. my first visit tot he old barn in seven years...too bad about United losing but it was good getting out there one last time...it may not have been the most aesthetic sports ground in the business, but I'll still miss it.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #22: October 23, 2017, 09:39:46 AM »
So what will happen to RFK ?  Will it be torn down and condos built in its place ?

Probably a decades-long political fight, sadly.

Offline Optics

« Reply #23: October 23, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »
Love RFK. So many wonderful memories. It was a dump but it was OUR dump and all of our teams had a legit home field advantage.

I'll tell you one thing: if the Nats played their home playoff games in RFK the way the old great Redskins did, no way they'd have a 3-8 record in home playoff games. There was just something special about RFK and it permeated over to the home team.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #24: October 23, 2017, 10:08:01 AM »
I saw an article heading recently about the possibility of the Redskins moving back to RFK.  Didn't read the article (stupid Post blocks me, for what reason I don't know) but apparently it's being discussed.