Josh Smoker
Jason Martinson
Randolph Oduber
Taylor Jordan
Adrian Sanchez
Blake Kelso
Bryce Ortega
Other (explain)

Author Topic: WNFF Top 30 Prospect List: #27 Prospect  (Read 996 times)

Offline JMUalumni

WNFF Top 30 Prospect List: #27 Prospect
« Topic Start: September 15, 2011, 06:34:41 PM »
Voting closes on Friday, September 16, 2011 at 7 p.m.

WNFF Top 30 Prospect List

1. Bryce Harper - OF
2. Anthony Rendon - IF
3. Matt Purke - SP
4. A.J. Cole - SP
5. Brad Peacock - SP
6. Derek Norris - C
7. Alex Meyer - SP
8. Destin Hood - OF
9. Chris Marrero - IF
10. Brian Goodwin - OF
11. Robbie Ray - SP
12. Steve Lombardozzi - IF
13. Sammy Solis - SP
14. Tom Milone - SP
15. Tyler Moore - IF
16. Michael Taylor - OF
17. Matt Skole - IF
18. Erik Komatsu - OF
19. Eury Perez - OF
20. Kevin Keyes - OF
21. Brad Meyers - SP
22. Wirkin Estevez - SP
23. David Freitas - C
24. Rick Hague - IF
25. Jeff Kobernus - IF
26. Daniel Rosenbaum - SP
27. ???

Offline houston-nat

Re: WNFF Top 30 Prospect List: #27 Prospect
« Reply #1: September 15, 2011, 06:41:53 PM »
I've never even heard of Bryce Ortega.

It will be interesting to see if Randolph Oduber can sneak into the top 30. I think he can squeeze in.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2: September 15, 2011, 06:44:18 PM »
Turnbull is my pick here, as well.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #3: September 15, 2011, 06:49:49 PM »
I've never even heard of Bryce Ortega.

Played with Auburn this year and was selected as a short season All-Star.  He is a "high motor" type of player that hit .314/.410/.392 this season.  With that said, he was a 41st rounder this year out of college (Arizona) and probably has little to no upside.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #4: September 16, 2011, 07:51:14 AM »
I'll go Turnbull as well.

Almost picked Oduber.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: September 16, 2011, 08:26:50 AM »
Turnbull gets the high draft pick, overslot break here, but I also want to see Oduber end up somewhere on the list.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #6: September 16, 2011, 02:42:44 PM »
Wasn't Walters supposed to be a projected 2/6 hitter in the lineup according to Rizzo? I smell fabrication.

Offline RD

« Reply #7: September 16, 2011, 04:08:09 PM »
Wasn't Walters supposed to be a projected 2/6 hitter in the lineup according to Rizzo? I smell fabrication.

Because he's not on a list of a fans vote, you think that means anything for his future?

Walters is probably a top 20 guy in the system. Top 25 lock.

The problem with the voting now is, once we got out of the top 12 or so, the list is all over the place because most people don't know much about the rest. If we hadn't gotten that article or two about Michael Taylor around the midway point of the year, only 1 or 2 would've voted him in the top 25. Our system is good but our 5th round pick, who had a decent showing in short season, is at least 10 spots higher than our 4th round pick that was an overslot guy(meaning he wasn't a lesser talent taken for signability)? Skole went to a big school and signed early, so we got to see him play, so everything was weighted in his favor over the JC kid that we selected higher(and was ranked higher by at least Baseball America). Nobody knew anything about Turnbull but did know Skole's name, so he got votes a lot earlier.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #8: September 16, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »
The polling is certainly flawed, but I don't think that anyone would claim that this list is a completely accurate one.  Mostly it is just a for fun type of thing, but I also thinks it fosters some more discussion on the minor league system and also represents a perception of the Nationals farm system from the Nationals fan base (albeit a group of 20-30 mostly diehard Nats fans).  RD, I believe you are right to say that much of the later voting is more or so name recognition and there is an element inherent in being a fan of team that tends to steer things like these to more of a popularity contest, but I think that even with the flaws the exercise serves some good purposes.

This list certainly doesn't match up with the top 30 I would have personally created, though I have enjoyed the discussions on various prospects and hearing what other people think about prospects that I may have perhaps undervalued.  I would love to do this again next season, whether it be an annual or bi-annual type of thing, but I do think the format could be tweaked a little bit.  What if next time, instead of doing 30 separate polls, the 20-30 regular participants submit/post each of their own top 30s and the results are tallied in a manner similar to the college sports polling system?  Thoughts?  Would anyone be interested in doing this again in the future, whether the same format or a different one?

Offline RD

« Reply #9: September 16, 2011, 04:33:21 PM »
Oh, it's perfectly fine for discussion. Im not saying this is pointless.

I just directed a comment at someone questioning Walters talent(actually, more to the point, Rizzo's opinion), and using this poll as justification. This poll is good for developing discussion and helping some learn more about the guys. It's just really not an accurate depiction of anyone's standing within the organization. Even though most of us agree on the top 10-12, that list could be drastically different within our organization or even by places like BA and Sickles, etc.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #10: September 16, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
Fire Rizzo should have been an option in this poll. 
1 - Harper
2 - Rendon
3 - Fire Rizzo
4 - Purke

An argument could be made for Fire Rizzo to be number 2, though.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #11: September 16, 2011, 08:30:18 PM »
Oh, it's perfectly fine for discussion. Im not saying this is pointless.

I just directed a comment at someone questioning Walters talent(actually, more to the point, Rizzo's opinion), and using this poll as justification. This poll is good for developing discussion and helping some learn more about the guys. It's just really not an accurate depiction of anyone's standing within the organization. Even though most of us agree on the top 10-12, that list could be drastically different within our organization or even by places like BA and Sickles, etc.

Sorry, it wasn't really directed at you.  Your point just brought to mind some stuff I had been thinking on.  I agree with what you are saying though.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #12: September 17, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »
I wasn't doubting Walter's talent. I am definitely rooting for the guy to make the Major League's. However, I do not think Rizzo was fabricating in his projections because it would have been unprofessional to say he doesn't project to be in the majors.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #13: September 17, 2011, 09:14:59 PM »
Played with Auburn this year and was selected as a short season All-Star.  He is a "high motor" type of player that hit .314/.410/.392 this season.  With that said, he was a 41st rounder this year out of college (Arizona) and probably has little to no upside.

From what I've seen of NYPL ( a reasonable amount), the hitters are way behind the pitchers and no one walks. That's a very good OBP.