Author Topic: Ripken would be interested in buying Orioles  (Read 1276 times)

Offline El Kabong

Ripken would be interested in buying Orioles
« Topic Start: January 10, 2007, 11:20:14 PM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-orioles-ripken&prov=ap&type=lgns

January 10, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Cal Ripken Jr. would be interesting in buying the Baltimore Orioles if Peter Angelos decides to sell the team.

Ripken Professional Baseball has owned the Class-A Aberdeen Ironbirds of the New York-Penn League since 2002 and the Class-A Augusta GreenJackets of the South Atlantic League since 2005.

There has been speculation that Ripken would want to own the Orioles and he was asked Wednesday about a possible purchase at the Hall of Fame news conference.

"I haven't been approached," he said. "I've thought about that, yes, and if an opportunity were to arise, if Mr. Angelos would want to sell the club, it would be an interesting thought process to go through."

Ripken spent 21 seasons playing for the Orioles before his retirement in 2001. He and Tony Gwynn were elected to the Hall of Fame on Tuesday in their first appearances on the ballot and will be inducted this July.

Angelos has owned the Orioles since 1993.

"Right now I'm very content in learning the business in the minor leagues and also developing kids' complexes and really growing the game of baseball at the grass-roots level," Ripken said. "But certainly if that ever became an opportunity, I certainly would look to be a part of that."

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1: January 10, 2007, 11:59:01 PM »
Ripken as owner would be an awesome move for the birds.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Re: Ripken would be interested in buying Orioles
« Reply #2: January 11, 2007, 06:40:46 AM »
Quote from: "El Kabong"
Ripken Professional Baseball has owned the Class-A Aberdeen Ironbirds of the New York-Penn League since 2002

The VT Lake Monsters play Aberdeen regularly, that's pretty cool to know!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3: January 11, 2007, 08:42:53 AM »
So what is the going rate for the O's?  I'm dying to see how this plays out.  MLB guaranteed a selling price of 365 mil to Angelos.  What if nobody wants to pay that much?  Does MLB buy the team and run them into the ground? I cant see Ripken or someone offering 250 mil then MLB kicking in 115 mil with no strings attached

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: January 11, 2007, 09:00:28 AM »
Dave, tough question to answer without knowing if the MASN rights have to be included with the franchise.  If MLB had half a brain, they would have made sure the price guarantee INCLUDED the MASN rights, which have huge value, thanks to the Nats.  On the other hand, if Angelos can strip the MASN rights, it would really diminish the value of the franchise.  I have to think these rights are included, which supports a high value.

I think they have a good stadium deal, and the stadium is tops.  The team is profitable, thanks to the various and sundry revenue sources.  And any decent management at all, improves the competitive landscape significantly.  So I think they would fetch close $365m, or more.  No way Ripken is the only bidder, and it only takes one or two more serious bidders to drive the price to the top.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5: January 11, 2007, 10:06:14 AM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
Dave, tough question to answer without knowing if the MASN rights have to be included with the franchise.  If MLB had half a brain, they would have made sure the price guarantee INCLUDED the MASN rights, which have huge value, thanks to the Nats.  On the other hand, if Angelos can strip the MASN rights, it would really diminish the value of the franchise.  I have to think these rights are included, which supports a high value.

I think they have a good stadium deal, and the stadium is tops.  The team is profitable, thanks to the various and sundry revenue sources.  And any decent management at all, improves the competitive landscape significantly.  So I think they would fetch close $365m, or more.  No way Ripken is the only bidder, and it only takes one or two more serious bidders to drive the price to the top.

I think in order to get 365 they have to prove that they are a viable baseball market.  Since the Nats have come, that has not been proven.  They have been hurt at the gate because they stink and because the Nats took some of their attendance.  The only way to know for sure how much is due to Nats/sucking is for the O's to start winning and see how many fans they can draw.  That may never happen with the Sox and Yankees in their division

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #6: January 11, 2007, 10:10:11 AM »
There was an announcement  a month ago when this was being rumoured.  Lord Baltimore said he has no intention on selling the team in the forseeable future - but if he ever was, that Ripken would be one of the first persons he would notify.
Quote from: "Baltimore Sun"
Angelos: No Ripken sale
He denies report that ex-star's group will buy O's gradually, like Ravens
By Jeff Zrebiec and Peter Schmuck
Sun Reporters
Originally published December 15, 2006

Orioles owner Peter Angelos adamantly denied a foxsports.com report last night that said he is talking to a group that includes Cal Ripken about buying the club.

"There is no question that Cal and I have a great relationship," Angelos said. "He was a great player for the Orioles and I have an affection for him. But what's being reported, there is simply no substance to it. It has not happened. There have been no such discussions."

The report, using unnamed sources, said that Ripken and Angelos met before Thanksgiving and could meet again before Christmas. It said that the two are discussing a plan similar to what the Ravens did after Art Modell agreed to sell the franchise to current owner Steve Bisciotti. Bisciotti bought a minority interest in the team in 2000 and then exercised an option to buy the rest of the team from Modell four years later.

"If it was true, there would be nothing wrong with that suggestion, but it simply is not true," Angelos said last night. "There is nothing wrong with talking to Cal about such a thing, but it didn't happen."

Angelos, 77, acknowledged that he and Ripken, who is expected to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2007, are friends and they do share dinner occasionally and stay in contact. Ripken owns the minor league Aberdeen IronBirds, an Orioles affiliate, with his brother Bill.

"That team could operate only with Oriole expressed approval and we gave that approval to Cal because of all that he has meant to the organization, both on and off the field," Angelos said. "Since he's retired, we've had plenty of contact."

John Maroon, a public relations representative who works with Ripken, didn't return calls seeking comment last night. In an interview with The Sun in September, Ripken said he would be interested in buying the club if it were up for sale.

"I think I could have value to a group, an ownership group," Ripken said in the September article. "I like Mr. Angelos, and I don't know what's going to happen to his club, but if it were for sale, it would be interesting to explore."

Ripken said he considers Angelos "brilliant" and "a friend." At the time, Angelos said he would enjoy having Ripken own the Orioles, if the time is right.

"If such a day came and he was the person playing that role, I would say you couldn't find a better guy," the owner said.

Angelos and a group of lesser investors bought the Orioles at auction in 1993 for $173 million, which was the highest price ever paid for a major league franchise at that time. He was hailed for bringing the team back under local ownership after the unpopular tenure of financier Eli Jacobs, and spent liberally to build teams that reached the American League Championship Series in 1996 and 1997.

The franchise went into decline after that and attendance has dropped steadily - from a high of 3.7 million to this year's all-time Camden Yards low of 2.15 million.

Still, the value of the team has never been higher, thanks in part to a steady escalation of franchise values in the major leagues over the past decade and also because of the compensation deal Angelos struck with Major League Baseball after the relocation of the Montreal Expos to Washington two years ago.

Forbes magazine estimated the value of the Orioles at $359 million in a study released after the 2005 season, but revenue from the Yes Network in New York has pushed the value of the Yankees near $1 billion and the New England Sports Network has helped the Red Sox reach a valuation of more than $600 million.

Angelos has never put the team up for bid, but he said in an interview soon after reaching the compensation deal that he might consider offers once the Mid-Atlantic Sports Network was up and running and the Orioles had returned to respectability. By any measure, neither of those bars has been cleared.

Angelos, who has been highly criticized during the Orioles' run of nine straight losing seasons, said in April that the team lost $15 million in 2005, but he also expressed confidence that the additional revenues generated by MASN would enable the team to spend more and hasten its return to contention.

The Orioles have been active in the free-agent market but have not been able to pull off a dynamic acquisition to mollify fans.