Author Topic: Metrorail warning for August 23 (due to the quake)  (Read 837 times)

Offline 1995hoo

I posted this in the Gameday Thread, but upon reflection it's significant enough to warrant a more prominent posting:

Per WMATA.com and Dr. Gridlock's blog, all Metrorail trains are restricted to 15 mph until further notice while they inspect all the tracks throughout the entire system. Allow extra time if you plan to take the subway to the game tonight. In fact, you best be on your way already (it's 5:01 PM as I type this). Reports are that all the downtown stops are mobbed.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
According to two of my coworkers the Metro is a total nightmare.

Offline SkinsNDeacs

Any chance the delay / postpone tonight's game?

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Oh joy.  I'm actually a little surprised it's functioning at all. 

Offline HalfSmokes

Oh joy.  I'm actually a little surprised it's functioning at all. 

define functioning loose enough and metro, pepco, vre... are all functional

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
According to two of my coworkers the Metro is a total nightmare.

I work early hours and thus got on the system at Archives sometime between 15.30-15.45 (usually I take the Red line from Judiciary Square to Gallery Place then switch to the Yellow, but I was trying to minimise my Metrorail use under these circumstances). I waited about 15min for a Yellow line train and just managed to shoe-horn myself into the front car - very few were able to get on at L'Enfant, and there was already a large group waiting. At Archives they were already blocking people from getting on to the platform, like they used to do at Stadium-Armory at Nats matches in the RFK days (and sometimes still do at Navy Yard).

This, mind you, was before rush hour would really hot up - I shudder to think of what it must have been like when the real crush began. (And could you imagine the Yellow line if this had happened at a Friday, with all those people going to the airport and all that luggage....)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Any chance the delay / postpone tonight's game?

The start time has been moved to 19.25 - it's on.

Offline 1995hoo

Ms1995hoo just called me. She left her office at 6:15 PM to walk to Foggy Bottom (she works at the Watergate). She is at Arlington Cemetery now, 45 minutes later.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Yeah. 4 trains passed packed before I could even get on at Metro Center!  People push from behind whether there's room or not! >:(