Author Topic: Nationals vs Diamondbacks, Game 1  (Read 11824 times)

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
Re: Nationals vs Diamondbacks, Game 1
« Reply #275: August 23, 2011, 05:00:05 AM »
Also - we're only 5 games behind the Giants for 2nd place in the wild card race (who are themselves 8.5 games behind the Braves) and 4 games behind the Cards for 3rd place.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings?year=season_2011&type=wild+card

With an upgrade in CF, a better year from Werth, a solid year from Stras, and pretty mcuh the same year from everyone else, I can see us fighting the Braves for the wild card slot next year.  It might not be a stretch to think we'll be about as good as the Cards and Giants are to this point this year.

Or maybe I'm drunk on the Kool Aid.  Ha.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #276: August 23, 2011, 06:56:58 AM »
Sweet game, I had a blast, and MDS exaggerates his fat azz

You should have seen me six months ago.  :P

And if the owners weren't misers who want to sink all their eggs in the basket of health of one ace pitcher, they'd be a force in 2012.

SSB with the FIYAH again!

Actual attendance was about half that at best.

Yeah, there were at least 10 empty sections.  One nice thin about that was I finally got a chance to check out the view from the Red Loft.  Reminds me of my days of drinking Old Style on the Wrigley Roofs.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #277: August 23, 2011, 07:51:11 AM »
Comparative dates on which the Nationals notched their 62nd win, each season:

2005 - 14th August (117th match of season)
2011 - 22nd August (126th match)
2007 - 4th September (139th match)
2006 - 11th September (144th match)
2010 - 15th September (146th match)
[2008 - finished 59-102]
[2009 - finished 59-103]

---

Last night's announced attendance of 19,377 was a Nats Park record low for a Diamondbacks visit - and that record will probably be broken again in this series (no more dollar hot dogs)...pity, because the weather last night was optimal.

Offline loshjott

« Reply #278: August 23, 2011, 07:57:28 AM »
I'm guessing that the cheers are because the fan who caught the HR ball threw it back onto the field.
And I'm guessing the boos are because security came to eject the fan or at least talk to him.
Anyone at the game to confirm?

I was sitting in sec. 105 maybe 40 feet from the guy who caught the HR ball. It was just before the 7th inning stretch and Screech was there getting ready to sing with a bunch of kids. When the guy caught the ball, everyone was yelling "throw it back!" and even Screech got into the action with hand (wing) motions, etc. The guy threw it back, everyone cheered and then security came over and took him (and his young son!) away, and of course everyone booed.  People were yelling at security "Hey, your own mascot told him to throw it back!"

About 10 minutes later the guy and his son were led back to their seats and Screech, who was still in the vicinity, gave the guy a big hug. I wasn't sitting close enough to find out what security said or did to him, but it was a funny scene.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #279: August 23, 2011, 08:19:33 AM »
I was sitting in sec. 105 maybe 40 feet from the guy who caught the HR ball. It was just before the 7th inning stretch and Screech was there getting ready to sing with a bunch of kids. When the guy caught the ball, everyone was yelling "throw it back!" and even Screech got into the action with hand (wing) motions, etc. The guy threw it back, everyone cheered and then security came over and took him (and his young son!) away, and of course everyone booed.  People were yelling at security "Hey, your own mascot told him to throw it back!"

About 10 minutes later the guy and his son were led back to their seats and Screech, who was still in the vicinity, gave the guy a big hug. I wasn't sitting close enough to find out what security said or did to him, but it was a funny scene.

Hey loshjott, welcome to the forum, and thanks for the indepth reporting on the ball-throwing incident!  That screech is like a teenager, he just can't resist living a bit dangerously.

If you get the urge, make sure to stop by the "Welcome new posters - introduce yourself thread" and take your 15 minutes of fame.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #280: August 23, 2011, 08:35:56 AM »

I did see the ball-thrower being led out by two stewards (and heard the booing too)...didn't see the return though...looks like Screech and the stewards need to get on the same page.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #281: August 23, 2011, 08:55:39 AM »
Definitely no longer "werthless" :)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #282: August 23, 2011, 08:58:49 AM »

Great post, thanks :clap:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #283: August 23, 2011, 09:03:50 AM »
And if the owners weren't misers who want to sink all their eggs in the basket of health of one ace pitcher, they'd be a force in 2012.

Eh, I'm with TD, I'm not sure we'll be "a force" in the winning 95 games sense, but I think we'll be a lot more of a wild card factor than we are this year, finish out in the upper 80s. We'll probably all be moaning at the end of the season about how we're 2 games better than the NL West and/or AL Central winner(s) but we're being kept out of the playoffs, and JCA will say "Now you know how the Rays feel" approx. 26 billion times.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #284: August 23, 2011, 11:18:05 AM »
I'm liking the 5 team playoff more and more when I look at the divisions that have gentleman's agreements not to compete by putting the best team on the field or have screwed up finances due to divorces and corporate meltdowns. 

Offline RL04

« Reply #285: August 23, 2011, 04:28:39 PM »
My friend and I went but we don't count in the attendance figures since the tix were free.

Free to you.

I suspect every ticket is counted.

Offline RL04

« Reply #286: August 23, 2011, 04:31:30 PM »
Also - we're only 5 games behind the Giants for 2nd place in the wild card race

Crap!  I wish the two-wild-card system was already in place.

Can you imagine if we were in a playoff race.

Oh, perchance to dream . . .

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #287: August 23, 2011, 05:02:06 PM »
Giveaway and buy two-get two tickets aren't included in the paid attendance.  Teams don't release the actual "through the gate" attendance.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #288: August 23, 2011, 06:48:48 PM »

Free to you.

I suspect every ticket is counted.

They only announce tickets sold, they never release turnstile count.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #289: August 23, 2011, 06:58:38 PM »
They only announce tickets sold, they never release turnstile count.

Tom has me on ignore.