Author Topic: Crystal City - Here I come  (Read 5522 times)

Offline heeman82

Re: Crystal City - Here I come
« Reply #100: August 18, 2011, 07:41:24 PM »
Bonnie Brae Elementary?

Nope, and I went to L.B.H.S.

Offline PatsNats28

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #102: August 18, 2011, 11:53:30 PM »
We're on a boat!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #103: October 11, 2011, 03:00:50 PM »
Ok, I need a gym and not one surrounded by packs of frumpy BAH types looking for military hot beef injection.  You know, the kind of place where there's a lot of sweat, probably some roids, and a lot of iron pumping.  The kind of place Ronnie Coleman or GMUNat would feel ok working out at.  Does this exist in The Danger Zone™?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #104: October 11, 2011, 06:06:17 PM »
Don't know the rep of the gyms.  You can't get wimpy spaghetti-like arms like mine by working out.  It's just natural.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #105: October 11, 2011, 07:50:59 PM »
Ok, I need a gym and not one surrounded by packs of frumpy BAH types looking for military hot beef injection.  You know, the kind of place where there's a lot of sweat, probably some roids, and a lot of iron pumping.  The kind of place Ronnie Coleman or GMUNat would feel ok working out at.  Does this exist in The Danger Zone™?

Crossfit

BTW, what are houses like in that area?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #106: October 11, 2011, 08:36:39 PM »
Crossfit

I think I'm just going to stick with running 4+ miles a day after work out on the mean streets of The Danger Zone™ and save my cash for bathtub gin and fitted hats. 

BTW, what are houses like in that area?

I don't know, I'm moving into a midrise apartment complex, which is really most of that area. The place my wife used to live in up in Arlington Ridge just sold for ~$800K and it was a tiny 70s rancher on a pretty big lot.  It's probably a minimansion now.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #107: October 11, 2011, 08:41:57 PM »
There's a nice Sport & Health in Crystal City

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #108: October 11, 2011, 08:49:42 PM »
There's a nice Sport & Health in Crystal City

That looks nice but a bit too "chic" for me.  MrsMorse might be into it though, I might just stick with my Rocky workout (running in the weather and pounding concrete walks every 1/4 mile). 

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #109: October 11, 2011, 08:58:24 PM »
800k? Ugh ... I hate my life

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #110: October 11, 2011, 09:07:32 PM »
800k? Ugh ... I hate my life

That's not that bad, really, once you consider the location, lot size, and everything else associated with it.  Honestly, after living out in the 'burbs for five years and dealing with the daily assreaming of traffic I'll gladly pay extra not to have to deal with that crap again.  Besides, it's not like the $800K is your first place, unless you inherit an azzload of money or magically come across $160K you're not financing that with an FHA (3.5% down) loan. 

Offline Dave B

« Reply #111: October 11, 2011, 10:11:50 PM »
There are two sport and healths in cc. I think the one at the north end is the nicer one.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #112: October 11, 2011, 10:15:57 PM »
The nearest Golds I think is in Rosslyn and I think there is an LA Fitness next to the Eclipse (national gateway) down by South Glebe and Jeff Davis.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #113: October 11, 2011, 10:17:14 PM »
There are two sport and healths in cc. I think the one at the north end is the nicer one.

Looks like they have a three day pass deal we'll have to check out.  Thanks for the suggestions.  :thumbs:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #114: October 11, 2011, 10:57:49 PM »
Looks like they have a three day pass deal we'll have to check out.  Thanks for the suggestions.  :thumbs:

can you get onto any military/DoD premises?

you work by the navy yard? there is a Results gym at about 4th and G SE. its really nice and I dont think that much more than sport and health. its a lot more than gold's. Years ago when I looked it was like 80/month plus 250 to join.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #115: October 12, 2011, 09:12:44 AM »
The nearest Golds I think is in Rosslyn and I think there is an LA Fitness next to the Eclipse (national gateway) down by South Glebe and Jeff Davis.

I belonged to Golds in Chantilly for a couple of years, it sounds more like what MDS is looking for.  Lots of meatheads.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #116: October 12, 2011, 09:17:45 AM »
As for sport and health in CC, I have a flyer on my desk that says the location at 2231 Crystal Drive just completed multi-million dollar renovation.  I don't know if this which one of the S & Hs this is.  IIRC, a few of the staff from CCSp just joined some gym that was having specials - this might be the one.  Next time I'm intxciated I'll find out.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #117: October 12, 2011, 09:39:06 AM »
I think we're going to give Sport and Health a go since MrsMorse is a big fan of the pool.  If it's too cool-for-school for me, I might just go with running on the mean streets of The Danger Zone™.  I think I've finally lost enough weight where running on the street won't result in my knees and hips breaking apart. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #118: October 12, 2011, 10:22:32 AM »
I belonged to Golds in Chantilly for a couple of years, it sounds more like what MDS is looking for.  Lots of meatheads.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #119: December 29, 2011, 09:57:40 AM »
Bumping for more feedback.  We put off joining a gym for a while since I had injured my foot again but it looks like all systems are go.  I think we're going to give Sport and Health a go since there's one next to my office and the other is next to our apartment.  Anyone know if these are filled with "old fart", lugheads, the Bluetooth crowd, or normal gov't employees?

I'm also looking for bike tire suggestions but I'll put that in another thread.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #120: December 29, 2011, 11:02:31 AM »
did you manage to move into the only building in crystal city without a resident's gym?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #121: December 29, 2011, 11:09:54 AM »
did you manage to move into the only building in crystal city without a resident's gym?

There's a gym in the building but the equipment isn't suitable for someone my size, hence the need for the sturdier equipment.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #122: December 29, 2011, 12:32:42 PM »
Why would you want them to be normal ?

The Sport & Health in Ballston has a sizable crowd in the 25-40 age range.  But also a fair number of old farts like me who try not to get caught staring at a coed now and then.

Bumping for more feedback.  We put off joining a gym for a while since I had injured my foot again but it looks like all systems are go.  I think we're going to give Sport and Health a go since there's one next to my office and the other is next to our apartment.  Anyone know if these are filled with "old fart", lugheads, the Bluetooth crowd, or normal gov't employees?

I'm also looking for bike tire suggestions but I'll put that in another thread.

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #123: December 29, 2011, 12:52:20 PM »
The gyms around NW DC seem to serve primarily as grabass pickup joints for the toned tweener yups and the buffed-out bois.  Pass.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #124: December 29, 2011, 01:33:24 PM »
The gyms around NW DC seem to serve primarily as grabass pickup joints for the toned tweener yups and the buffed-out bois.  Pass.

Yeah, I'd prefer a place similar to the sweatbox I used to "tone-up" at in Richmond (the Iron Haus) or the FFX County RECcenters since all we need are super sturdy ellipticals and some free weights.  I get enough of the "big bear looking for little cub" in my personal life out on the mean street of the Danger Zone™, can't imagine how bad it would be in some of those places.