Author Topic: Borders going out of business  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Borders going out of business
« Reply #25: July 26, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
Just read "Matterhorn" by Karl Marlantes on my Kindle.  Holy crap that's a pretty intense read.  Marines being marched around the jungle around the DMZ in 'Nam by some idiot officers back in HQ.  The author was a highly decorated Marine so I guess he knows of what he speaks.  So yeah, I read a book that would have been $30 at Borders for under $10 on Kindle...the writing is on the wall for the publishing industry.   

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #26: July 26, 2011, 02:57:07 PM »
I read a book that would have been $30 at Borders for under $10 on Kindle...the writing is on the wall for the publishing industry.   

Good for readers, good for authors, not so good for the intermediaries.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Yeah, it's a 50 caliber.
« Reply #27: July 26, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »

Or for those of us that can't take the Kindle/Nook/Kobo/Soontobeoutdatedagentofconsumerism with us to our jobs.

Offline MarquisDeSade

« Reply #28: July 26, 2011, 02:58:49 PM »
Have no fear, the rent seekers are still seeking their rent. 

Offline EdStroud

« Reply #29: July 26, 2011, 03:13:50 PM »

Not so hot for the people who are losing jobs unfortunately

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #30: July 26, 2011, 03:18:53 PM »
Not so hot for the people who are losing jobs unfortunately

True, but not so different from other examples of economic progress.  I'm sure kerosene lamp makers are still pissed at the advent of the electric light bulb, for example, but they'll get over it someday.

Offline MarquisDeSade

« Reply #31: July 26, 2011, 03:24:29 PM »
Or the 8-track manufacturers.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #32: July 26, 2011, 03:26:12 PM »
(Responding to Nathan on the first page of the thread:) I haven't yet started Song of Ice and Fire, just downloaded the first book over the weekend. I was reading a book about the history of the Interstate Highway System and wanted to finish that first, and then I just haven't been motivated to start the new book yet. (Plus I spent over two hours last night rebuilding a toilet, which was a higher priority than reading.) So I don't yet have a sense for what I think of it. I'll try to comment back when I've read enough to have an opinion, although that could be several weeks depending on the pace at which I make progress.

Ignoring my random analogy, I completely agree with you on the other part. I've always been interested in Shara especially. I was actually just checking something out on the Land of Madmen, and interestingly enough, the WoT planet is round, meaning that I think if you sail east from Seanchan, you get to Shara. I wonder if they've made contact.

I've read Terry Goodkind, I used to like that series when I was younger, but as I got older, I realized that he essentially had a tea partyist agenda which kinda turned me off.

I recall the Big White Book stating that if a ship so much as comes in sight of Shara's east coast it is met with a deadly response from the natives, so maybe that's part of what's going on there. There's no question the Seanchan surely must know about Shara because Artur Hawkwing supposedly sent a second invasion fleet east to Shara shortly after sending one west to Seanchan. Surely that means Shara had been known to exist, then, and since the invasion fleet conquered Seanchan, there must be some knowledge at some level.

It's kind of frustrating to me that he created these lands but then hasn't done anything with them. I'd have loved to have seen Rand fulfill some prophecy that had him going to Shara at some point.

Regarding Goodkind, his political slant definitely shines through, probably most thoroughly in Faith of the Fallen, which was sort of an allegorical treatise against communism. His characters tend to ramble on in long speeches that are unnecessary. But I enjoyed the storyline and liked the characters, for the most part. Earlier this year I read his related book The Law of Nines and found it interesting but unsatisfying. It reached the conclusion too quickly and as too much of a fait accompli. I felt like there were too many aspects of the story that went unexplained and that several plot aspects weren't developed sufficiently. But it was certainly a very quick read and was fine as entertainment.

I'm rather irritated that Goodkind's next book, The Omen Machine, is being released in hardcover on August 16 while the Kindle version won't be available until February. Quite frustrating.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #33: July 26, 2011, 03:26:56 PM »
Or the 8-track manufacturers.

Which pisses me off because I can't play either my Bread (Manna) tape, nor my Bobby Sherman bootleg.     :rant:

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #34: July 26, 2011, 03:28:02 PM »
Which pisses me off because I can't play either my Bread (Manna) tape, nor my Bobby Sherman bootleg.     :rant:

We have an old 8-track player in our storage unit. Don't know whether it still works. We even have a few cartridges for it.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #35: July 26, 2011, 03:32:58 PM »
I really never expected the LP to outlast the CD.  There are three stores selling vinyl records within a 5 minute walk from my house, and not a CD in sight (unless you count the street stall selling MS-13 narco rap).

Offline MarquisDeSade

« Reply #36: July 26, 2011, 03:36:55 PM »
Unless you count the street stall selling MS-13 narco rap.

No joke, pick one up for me if you can.  I'm always looking for new beatz.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #37: July 26, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Regarding Goodkind, his political slant definitely shines through, probably most thoroughly in Faith of the Fallen, which was sort of an allegorical treatise against communism.

That's exactly what I was thinking of. The labor unions destroyed the economy, the concept of equality being twisted... I feel like he distorted communism though. Not that I'm a communist, but he went a bit too far.

Offline OldChelsea

• From the best seat in the house at Nationals Park
« Reply #38: July 27, 2011, 08:39:35 AM »
I really never expected the LP to outlast the CD.  There are three stores selling vinyl records within a 5 minute walk from my house, and not a CD in sight (unless you count the street stall selling MS-13 narco rap).

With Borders gone about all that's left are Melody (which also does LP's) just north of Dupont circle, and I think the B&N in E street still carries them.