Author Topic: Thank You: TONY ARMAS  (Read 1540 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Thank You: TONY ARMAS
« Topic Start: July 24, 2005, 11:59:36 AM »
Can we get some love for Tony Armas last night? I think we were all feeling a little aprehensive about his start after the BP Houston had the night before. The man pitched 7 innings with only one hit and 5 strikeouts. He got a well-deserved standing ovation when he was walking to the dugout. I say again: Thank You Tony!

And how 'bout little Carlos Baerga?  The man is an inspiration.   :lol:

Offline mjteggy05

« Reply #1: July 24, 2005, 01:03:31 PM »
I honestly think Armas is starting to come around and pitch up to his stuff. That last start he obviously wasn't feeling well and had to come out of the game, but other than that, Armas really only has 2 or 3 bad starts on the year. If he could just stop nibbling at the corners so much and be more agressive in the strike zone like he was last night.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: July 24, 2005, 01:10:32 PM »
They really needed that from Tony, and he delivered.  And Baerga!!

Here's a few lines from the Post on Carlos' scoring effort.

"When catcher Brian Schneider stroked a single up the middle, Baerga exploded toward home with a wild, goofy dash, feet bouncing off the ground as if he were running in quicksand as he rounded third base. Taveras's throw was on time, but slightly off target. Astros catcher Humberto Quintero leaned left to field the ball and lunged right but he could not get his mitt on the pudgy yet elusive Baerga, who slid awkwardly under the tag to give the Nationals a 4-0 lead.

"He was getting those little, short, chopping steps going," Nationals first baseman Brad Wilkerson said, laughing. "His strides are about six inches long. His foot might be longer than his stride, I don't know."  EOQ

He's had two great slides in the past few games, he's giving it 100% and really showing his teamates what effort means.

Plus, he's hitting over .500 recently.  Vinnie better get better soon!!

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

« Reply #3: July 24, 2005, 01:13:57 PM »
Its these kind of starts - which Armas will make every season - that have kept his career alive and the word "potential" hanging over him.

What I thought was the best sign was that he took the 2 run HR in stride and continued to pitch well. Often, he seems to have problems just putting the last pitch behind him and pitching in the moment.

Reality is, Armas is pitching for his FA contract at season end so is highly motivated.

Montcobaseball

« Reply #4: July 24, 2005, 01:14:38 PM »
He does have a very very weird running style!  Like is trying to avoid piles of dog crap.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #5: July 24, 2005, 01:20:56 PM »
You have to give Armas his due for the great game he pitched yesterday, but I honestly don't thing Armas will still be with the team by the end of the day next Sunday. Yesterday's game did increase his trade value though.