0 (0%)
A stranger who has called into any show Phil Wood hosts, for decades
19 (50%)
Other: (list below)
3 (7.9%)
Someone who likes to hear the sound of his own voice, on the air
8 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: Nats Talk Live Saturday 10 AM-NOON on MASN, & other media  (Read 167963 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
On Saturday, Phil Wood mentioned that Nationals Park is one of very few MLB stadiums that has a live organist, rather than prerecorded music cues. Matthew Van Hoose, musician-in-residence at American University’s performing arts department, has played the organ at Nationals Park since 2010.

(Image removed from quote.) (Image removed from quote.)

From 2015:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/at-nationals-park-in-washington-van-hoose-hits-all-the-right-notes/2015/04/30/5625b458-ecea-11e4-a55f-38924fca94f9_story.html

I was expectin' some big hulkin' piper.    That thing looks like my old Roland D-5.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
I didn't know that. That's really interesting. Thanks!

Offline mitlen

I'm afraid Phil is going to explode this morning   ....   :asplode:

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
I'm afraid Phil is going to explode this morning   ....   :asplode:

Why do you say that, mitlen?    :D

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I was expectin' some big hulkin' piper.    That thing looks like my old Roland D-5.

The Nats did a tour a couple of years back where we got to go the audio booth. One of the best tours of the park I've taken. I snuck down and got a picture pretending to be playing the keyboard.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Phil's havin' a pity party for the Oreos.

Maybe just buying an occasional brownie point or two with MASN management. Given Wood's past advocacy of baseball in Washington (his was just about the only voice in this area supporting baseball in DC after Morris Siegel died), I never have figured out why Angelos continues to tolerate him on his network...maybe moments like the above are why.

Offline nats2playoffs

Maybe just buying an occasional brownie point or two with MASN management. Given Wood's past advocacy of baseball in Washington (his was just about the only voice in this area supporting baseball in DC after Morris Siegel died), I never have figured out why Angelos continues to tolerate him on his network...maybe moments like the above are why.

Though Nationals TV broadcasters are employees of MASN, the [Washington Nationals] team makes the hiring and firing decisions, according to sources familiar with the arrangement.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/01/AR2010090106482.html
 :dibbs:

Offline mitlen

Though Nationals TV broadcasters are employees of MASN, the [Washington Nationals] team makes the hiring and firing decisions, according to sources familiar with the arrangement.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/09/01/AR2010090106482.html
 :dibbs:

Sal from Leesburg is really Mark Lerner.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
So you're saying you were running your hands all over Van Hoose's organ?

The Nats did a tour a couple of years back where we got to go the audio booth. One of the best tours of the park I've taken. I snuck down and got a picture pretending to be playing the keyboard.

Offline nats2playoffs

Re: Nats Talk Live Saturday 10 AM-NOON on MASN
« Reply #1359: October 14, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »

1-855-458-0300
or send email to:
NATSTALK@MASNSTUDIOS.com

Phil Wood said that they receive a lot more emails than telephone calls. You should be able to call in and get on the air.

Phil Wood says that you can send emails during the week for future Nats Talk shows at:
NatsChatAt10am@aol.com

NLDS POST-MORTEM: Phil Wood said that the Nationals can expect a letter from the MLB League office, explaining that the 6 umpires were mistaken for not calling a strike and a dead ball end to the play, when Wieters was hit by the Cubs' back swing, which allowed runs to score and the game to be lost.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1360: October 14, 2017, 11:53:22 AM »
there are actually 2 potentially applicable rules, the one we've talked about and another that the ump relied on that might be more specific.  the latter has a lot of judgment in it.  IT is discussed here:
https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-nationals-protest-case/
There’s another rule that would permit a judgment call, however, and it appears to be the more relevant one in this case. (H/T Better Rule Book.)

This is 6.01(a)(1):

6.01 Interference, Obstruction, and Catcher Collisions

(a) (7.09) Batter or Runner Interference

It is interference by a batter or a runner when:

(1) After a third strike that is not caught by the catcher, the batter-runner clearly hinders the catcher in his attempt to field the ball. Such batter-runner is out, the ball is dead, and all other runners return to the bases they occupied at the time of the pitch;

This particular rule actually uses language that specifically addresses the situation we had last night (after a called third strike), identifies the relevant parties (batter-runner and catcher), and directs umpires to utilize their judgment (clearly hinders) to determine if the play was affected. Jerry Layne and the umpires used the appropriate rule, and they were correct to use their judgment.

As for whether that judgment was correct, that’s a separate matter
There’s nothing replay or a protest could have or should have done to change the result of the play. As to whether Layne correctly interpreted the rule, concluding that Wieters wasn’t clearly hindered by the shot to the head, that’s up for debate. It was an important play in an important game, and Layne and the rest of the crew might have missed one here. Unless replay is fundamentally changed to allow review of judgment calls, however — and even then, the play probably doesn’t get overturned — there is nothing egregious about the call last nigh

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #1361: November 11, 2017, 10:21:49 AM »
Is this taped or is this happening now?

Offline LoveAngelos

Re: Nats Talk Live Saturday 10 AM-Noon on MASN
« Reply #1362: November 11, 2017, 03:48:42 PM »

Offline Ray D

« Reply #1363: January 06, 2018, 09:58:33 AM »
Is it possible to get MASN on Alexa?  What is the command?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #1364: January 06, 2018, 10:52:34 AM »
Is it possible to get MASN on Alexa?  What is the command?

"Ya know?"

if that doesn't work, try "Sal in Leesburg."

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #1365: January 06, 2018, 03:52:42 PM »
If you want to get  MASN the command is

Hey Hon dere!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1366: January 27, 2018, 10:40:20 AM »
Got a touch of the flu/cold so I've been restless for a few days.    I needed some Mike Wallace and Phil Wood (not there today) to exorcise the ague.       Turned on the show this morning for background.    Larry (caller) was on for 5 minutes ramblin'.    Thought it was Sal at first.    After Larry hung up, I almost fell out of my chair when Mike used the word "peccadillo".      Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeriste then he comes back with "vicey versa".    I'm feelin' better already.    :)

Offline Ray D

« Reply #1367: January 28, 2018, 10:28:41 AM »
I can't listen to it anymore. They have nothing interesting to say.  Maybe I'll try again when Phil's back.  But Mike Wallace is unlistenable.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1368: January 29, 2018, 09:15:49 AM »
FM-106.7 has a 'Nationals Hot Stove Show' airing at 08.00 Saturday mornings...not a lot of insight but worth checking out for a baseball fix in the dead of winter.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1369: April 07, 2018, 09:39:28 AM »
I listened to most of the new Dan Kolko show on 106.7 this morning, he kept referencing that he was joining the "WJFK family", but it seemed a lot more like an infomercial than an independent talk show. He was doing live commercials selling Nats tickets, had the Revenue Chief on promoting bobbleheads, and had a series of feel good stories about the Rizzo signing and how Roark is going to have a bounce back year. Not that it was a bad show, I stayed tuned in for most of it, just that it came off as being misrepresented.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1370: April 07, 2018, 10:25:09 AM »
I listened to most of the new Dan Kolko show on 106.7 this morning, he kept referencing that he was joining the "WJFK family", but it seemed a lot more like an infomercial than an independent talk show. He was doing live commercials selling Nats tickets, had the Revenue Chief on promoting bobbleheads, and had a series of feel good stories about the Rizzo signing and how Roark is going to have a bounce back year. Not that it was a bad show, I stayed tuned in for most of it, just that it came off as being misrepresented.
Last week he said he didn't like Cincy. Didn't elaborate as to why. Will have to drop him a note. He works for the team. Nuff said.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1371: April 07, 2018, 10:27:04 AM »
Last week he said he didn't like Cincy. Didn't elaborate as to why. Will have to drop him a note. He works for the team. Nuff said.

He works for MASN for his TV gig. I get the feeling he works for the Nats and not for WJFK for his radio job.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
« Reply #1372: April 07, 2018, 10:31:30 AM »
They said Enny was dfa’d?

Offline LoveAngelos

« Reply #1373: April 07, 2018, 10:31:54 AM »
He works for MASN for his TV gig. I get the feeling he works for the Nats and not for WJFK for his radio job.

Kolko has a radio show on WJFK either very early...like 7 am....on Saturday, maybe Sunday.....it's the only time you can turn on that station and not listen to some idiot fret about who the Redskins are going to take in the coming draft

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #1374: April 07, 2018, 10:33:36 AM »
Didn't hear too much of it last week. It's just like ESPN 980 and the Redskins. Whoever they work for technically they know where the bread is buttered.