Author Topic: Player reactions on Riggleman Resignation  (Read 699 times)

Offline SkinsNDeacs

Player reactions on Riggleman Resignation
« Topic Start: June 23, 2011, 07:35:47 PM »
Has there been any reaction from the players?  This is the most important few weeks of this organizations short history and how the players react will determine where we go from here in my opinion.  

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: Player reactions
« Reply #1: June 23, 2011, 07:40:51 PM »
This I'm very much interested in

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #3: June 23, 2011, 07:44:13 PM »
Wow. Another thread on the same topic.

I found myself wishing people would just forget about this after today. I knew it would never happen but still this is getting to be insanely hyped.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #4: June 23, 2011, 07:45:41 PM »
Werth pointed out that a lot of the players are on one-year deals too.

Storen and RZ said they'd play on and the veterans would know how to survive.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #5: June 23, 2011, 07:46:12 PM »
http://www.masnsports.com/the_goessling_game/2011/06/player-reactions.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=masnben

:rofl: at it playing a riggleman commercial after the interview

Wow. Another thread on the same topic.

I found myself wishing people would just forget about this after today. I knew it would never happen but still this is getting to be insanely hyped.

Eh, I mostly agree, but at the same time a separate thread for player reactions does make some sense.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #6: June 23, 2011, 07:47:30 PM »

Yyyyyyyyeaaahhhh that was awkward.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #7: June 23, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »
http://www.masnsports.com/the_goessling_game/2011/06/player-reactions.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=masnben

Pretty professional quotes. And what I take away is that a) the players recognize that they have a job to do and that they need to go forward regardless; b) a complete lack of any players caring enough about whether Riggleman was the manager to make any kind of a stink. I think that's telling.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #8: June 23, 2011, 07:49:39 PM »
Pretty professional quotes. And what I take away is that a) the players recognize that they have a job to do and that they need to go forward regardless; b) a complete lack of any players caring enough about whether Riggleman was the manager to make any kind of a stink. I think that's telling.

Yeah, Ryan Zimmerman seemed more than undisturbed - he seemed to do a bit of a Mona Lisa smile at moments.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #9: June 23, 2011, 07:52:16 PM »
Do you think the Marquis blow up was the beginning of the end? At the time, I didn't think it was a big deal at all. Now, I'm not so sure

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #10: June 23, 2011, 07:54:44 PM »

The Nats have already taken down Riggleman's name from the list of managers and coaches.  I'm guessing they had security watch him pack up his stuff, take any team ID cards, and walk him to the door.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/team/coaches.jsp?c_id=was

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #11: June 23, 2011, 07:55:57 PM »
Eh, I mostly agree, but at the same time a separate thread for player reactions does make some sense.

Personally "Riggleman Quits: General", "Riggleman Quits: Player Reactions", and "Fire Rizzo" seems to more than adequately cover it. I haven't seen this many theads on the same topic since AZ was a Nats fan. :lol:

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #12: June 23, 2011, 07:58:29 PM »
Yeah, Ryan Zimmerman seemed more than undisturbed - he seemed to do a bit of a Mona Lisa smile at moments.

Zimm-with-1-N must have a deal with Rizzo that he'll bat 3rd, no matter how many times he hits into double plays.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #13: June 23, 2011, 08:01:07 PM »
Zimmerman reacting emotionally to anything would really be a story. He's as stoic and even tempered as you get.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #14: June 23, 2011, 08:02:12 PM »
Yes.  Here is a quote from Jayson Werth, which should put all the B.S. speculation about this being some sort of Riggleman-Werth feud to rest.  The reason Riggleman left is because of Rizzo.  That's it.

I strongly suggest you read the book: The Code by Ross Bernstien.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Re: Player reactions on Riggleman Resignation
« Reply #15: June 23, 2011, 08:08:09 PM »
Modified title for clarity.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #16: June 23, 2011, 08:10:47 PM »
Werth pointed out that a lot of the players are on one-year deals too.

Storen and RZ said they'd play on and the veterans would know how to survive.

that seemed pretty cat like. i'd like riggs to come back in the locker room and beat his ass. he definitely could. players and managers are totally different situations with regards to why coaches in most sports need to be signed for a year beyond the current

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #17: June 23, 2011, 08:11:10 PM »
Do you think the Marquis blow up was the beginning of the end? At the time, I didn't think it was a big deal at all. Now, I'm not so sure

It's interesting that you say that. I wondered during the game if Riggleman didn't PH for Marquis to avoid an incident, and after the announcement, it was the first thing I thought of. It's hard not to wonder if he did certain things knowing it was his last game.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #18: June 23, 2011, 08:13:20 PM »
It's interesting that you say that. I wondered during the game if Riggleman didn't PH for Marquis to avoid an incident, and after the announcement, it was the first thing I thought of. It's hard not to wonder if he did certain things knowing it was his last game.

Yep, that whole scene was strange

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #19: June 23, 2011, 08:18:08 PM »
that seemed pretty cat like. i'd like riggs to come back in the locker room and beat his ass. he definitely could. players and managers are totally different situations with regards to why coaches in most sports need to be signed for a year beyond the current

Fair or not, unfortunately for coaches in baseball, it takes the players to back them up. In particular, assistant coaches mostly get paid crap, never know if they are going to have a job next year, and rely on getting tipped by players at the season's end as part of their compensation. They end up having to deal with covering the cost of the extra residence and all the logistics of dealing with that. It's a players' game, and the coaches live on borrowed time. It's part of the business they've chosen, but they know there are plenty of people lined up to take their jobs for their bum pay or less. Remember a couple years back when the BoSox were going to play a game in Japan during ST, and the players had threaten to not get on the bus if the team didn't pick up the expenses for the staff and assistants?

The celebrity managers get the security. The rest of the coaches are low on the food chain.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #20: June 23, 2011, 08:22:58 PM »
The Nats have already taken down Riggleman's name from the list of managers and coaches.  I'm guessing they had security watch him pack up his stuff, take any team ID cards, and walk him to the door.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/team/coaches.jsp?c_id=was

Eh, that's what you do if you fire someone.