Author Topic: 2011 Post Draft Discussion / Signing Watch  (Read 73290 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: 2011 Post Draft Discussion / Signing Watch
« Reply #1300: August 16, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
All you have to do in DC is win, it's really immaterial how long you sucked before you started winning. Cultivating a fanbase is over rated, particularly in a town this transient. This isn't Milwaukee where people grow up, live and die in the same neighborhood. Win big in DC and the seats will be packed every night. That's just how we roll around here.

Conversely, lose and the seats will be empty. The only thing impervious to that are the Redskins, but after a decade of abuse at the hands of the Evil Snyder, even THAT passion is waning and I didn't think I'd ever see that in my lifetime. But like everything else, all the Skins need to do is win and everyone will be back again with a fury.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #1301: August 16, 2011, 05:23:43 PM »
Kasten & Bud were tight.  No two ways around it.  But remember, Stan had an ownership stake in this team.  Do we really think he wanted to go on the cheap knowing full well the horrendous effects that would have on the team?

I don't think Stan really comprehended the effects of doing things on the cheap.

Everything he said in public indicated that he had a 1990's mentality to running a professional sports franchise - it's as if he expected it to be really easy to get an edge on other teams through use of player development alone.  He seemed to ignore the fact that putting tremendous effort into player development and scouting is now the rule rather than the exception.

That line of thinking makes it seem like there's a good possibility Kasten really thought outspending other teams in the draft, with scouting, etc. was perfectly acceptable.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1302: August 16, 2011, 05:25:20 PM »
Kasten & Bud were tight.  No two ways around it.  But remember, Stan had an ownership stake in this team.  Do we really think he wanted to go on the cheap knowing full well the horrendous effects that would have on the team?  I think he was pissed at the Lerners for many things but kept his mouth shut because he had a contractual agreement with them.  He knew he couldn't get out until 5 years and then once he had the chance he ran.  

To me, the Lerners thought they could do it on the cheap.  Hired Bowden because he convinced them he could build a winner on a budget and only cut ties when things went so bad they had no choice.  Rizzo at that point had them where he wanted them.  There was nowhere to go but up if he could convince them to do things his way.  

Kasten was/is angling to be in the commissioner's office.  Being Bud's mouthbreather was what would accomplish that goal. It's no secret the Lerners were chosen because they assured Bud they would not buck the company/salary line. They were confirmed/sealed with a kiss when Kasten came on board. As for Kasten's ownership stake taking a hit? That's not what happened at all. The Lerners/ownership group have been quite profitable.

All of that adds up to there being zero doubt in my mind that Kasten was a snake oil salesman/mole for Bud. Now that's not to suggest that there wasn't a riff between Kasten and the Lerners, I'm certain there was, but it was Kasten that said over and over that the team was not going to spend money and would concentrate instead on developing the farm.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1303: August 16, 2011, 05:26:00 PM »
That line of thinking makes it seem like there's a good possibility Kasten really thought outspending other teams in the draft, with scouting, etc. was perfectly acceptable.

they never really did that until he was gone

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #1304: August 16, 2011, 05:27:54 PM »
Err, I meant NOT outspending other teams. :hammer:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1305: August 16, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »
they never really did that until he was gone

Right, because Kasten probably thought he could do it on the cheap like Bowden said. The owner's liked that idea so everyone was "on board" it wasn't until it became painfully apparent that it was a disastrous path that things changed. As it is, it took a huge scandal to even dump Bowden. Rizzo was Kasten's guy, but it seems clear that from the beginning that Rizzo had his own idea of doing things.

Suffice to say I'm glad Bowden AND Kasten are gone. Rizzo has his issues, but he's so far and away better than those two carnival barkers, it's not even funny ... and I'm not even a Bowden hater!

Ha ...

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1306: August 16, 2011, 05:30:17 PM »
It's a 50% chance that Kasten was a mole for Bud and kept the spending down, 50% rasta's post in my mind. But that moved from 100% mole.

Shamelessly off-topic: if you like moles and spies, check out the trailer to Gary Oldman's new movie.

Gonna be amazing.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1307: August 16, 2011, 05:31:26 PM »
Shamelessly off-topic: if you like moles and spies, check out the trailer to Gary Oldman's new movie.

Gonna be amazing.

ooh

:)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1308: August 16, 2011, 05:36:38 PM »
It's a 50% chance that Kasten was a mole for Bud and kept the spending down, 50% rasta's post in my mind. But that moved from 100% mole.

SO YOU DON'T BLAME THE LERNERS AT ALL FOR NOT SPENDING?!?! 

WOW.

what about now ... it's still just a $60 million payroll dude.  wtf are you smoking.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1309: August 16, 2011, 05:38:39 PM »
Isn't the MLB payroll lower than what it was when they took over?

Offline blue911

« Reply #1310: August 16, 2011, 05:43:26 PM »
Stan's gone. Let the historians debate his role in the first 5 years. The team appears to be moving forward without him, and that's all that matters IMO.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1311: August 16, 2011, 05:43:53 PM »
Stan's gone. Let the historians debate his role in the first 5 years. The team appears to be moving forward without him, and that's all that matters IMO.

Agreed

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1312: August 16, 2011, 05:45:14 PM »
MarkZuckerman
Rizzo said either Rendon or Purke could play in AZ Fall League this year. Also talked Strasburg. Watch my 1-on-1 with him at 6:00 on CSN.

If it's either/or, I'd rather see Purke. But with both of them coming off injuries, it would have been really good to see them in action together.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1313: August 16, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »
MarkZuckerman
Rizzo said either Rendon or Purke could play in AZ Fall League this year. Also talked Strasburg. Watch my 1-on-1 with him at 6:00 on CSN.

If it's either/or, I'd rather see Purke. But with both of them coming off injuries, it would have been really good to see them in action together.

Can't we only send one?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #1314: August 16, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »
Amazing discussion in this topic except hammonds can't read.

Offline blue911

« Reply #1315: August 16, 2011, 05:49:38 PM »
Can't we only send one?

They have to get an exemption since neither were assigned to a AA club by August 1st. I believe each team only gets one exemption.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1316: August 16, 2011, 05:49:51 PM »
Amazing discussion in this topic except hammonds can't read.

haha you act so innocent.  i read what you wrote.  but keep living in your own world :lmao:

hopefully purke/rendon can both play in AFL.  it'd be nice to see the two prize chips together (no slight on goodwin/meyer).

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1317: August 16, 2011, 05:49:57 PM »
SO YOU DON'T BLAME THE LERNERS AT ALL FOR NOT SPENDING?!?! 

WOW.

what about now ... it's still just a $60 million payroll dude.  wtf are you smoking.

Um yeah, I think you're missing the boat on this one. PA was debating whether or not Kasten was a Mole for Bud ...  I say 100% yes, Rasta says 100% no .. PA was 100% yes after my post, then 50% yes after Rasta's post ...

There, we're all caught up now :)

Online RD

« Reply #1318: August 16, 2011, 06:16:11 PM »
If there is a choice, I say send Rendon.

He's closer to the bigs, and needs to get back to infield. Get his bat going, and we could see him in 2012.

Purke needs time to iron out some mechanical issues before being put back on the field in real games IMO. Work on his mechanics in the instructional league, and get him ready for Hagerstown or Potomac next year. I know we'd like to get Purke some innings he lost this year, and see him healthy, but I think being patient with Purke is better than being patient with Rendon.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1319: August 16, 2011, 06:29:39 PM »
If there is a choice, I say send Rendon.

He's closer to the bigs, and needs to get back to infield. Get his bat going, and we could see him in 2012.

Purke needs time to iron out some mechanical issues before being put back on the field in real games IMO. Work on his mechanics in the instructional league, and get him ready for Hagerstown or Potomac next year. I know we'd like to get Purke some innings he lost this year, and see him healthy, but I think being patient with Purke is better than being patient with Rendon.

I concur

Offline Nats113437

« Reply #1320: August 16, 2011, 06:31:58 PM »
Harper and Rendon could bat back-to-back.  Perhaps a preview of things to come.

Offline Rasta

« Reply #1321: August 16, 2011, 07:11:22 PM »
Um yeah, I think you're missing the boat on this one. PA was debating whether or not Kasten was a Mole for Bud ...  I say 100% yes, Rasta says 100% no .. PA was 100% yes after my post, then 50% yes after Rasta's post ...

There, we're all caught up now :)

I do believe Kasten was a mole.  Where I diverge is whether or not he was trying to keep costs down.  If I had to guess, I would think he hated Bowden and wanted to do things differently but he didn't have the Lerners ear. 

JMO

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1322: August 16, 2011, 10:13:45 PM »
Let's go back and debate even more obscure history.  Lee should have detached Longstreet's corps to relieve Vicksburg after Chancelllorsville rather than advance into Pennsylvania.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1323: August 16, 2011, 10:14:04 PM »
I do believe Kasten was a mole.  Where I diverge is whether or not he was trying to keep costs down.  If I had to guess, I would think he hated Bowden and wanted to do things differently but he didn't have the Lerners ear. 

JMO

It's certainly a valid opinion on the situation. Suffice to say, the whole scene was freakED UP!

:)

Offline daveb32

« Reply #1324: August 16, 2011, 10:29:05 PM »
Any chance any of the top 4 play any Minor league ball this year?