Author Topic: 2011 Post Draft Discussion / Signing Watch  (Read 73186 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: 2011 Post Draft Discussion / Signing Watch
« Reply #50: June 10, 2011, 08:42:20 AM »
And it's officially a story. Linty saved all of the tweets, he should share them with Kilgore. I still can't believe Rizzo and company didn't do their due diligence before drafting him. The info was widely available out there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/nationals-looking-into-offensive-comments-by-draft-pick-zach-houchins/2011/06/10/AGvXLKOH_blog.html

The Nationals are monitoring offensive and vulgar comments made on the Twitter account of Zach Houchins, a shortstop the team picked in the 15th round of this year’s amateur draft.

“We are aware of and investigating the comments,” General Manager Mike Rizzo said in a statement released through a team spokesman after midnight East Coast time. Rizzo was not immediately available for further comment.

Houchins’s Twitter feed was deleted late last night, around the time the Nationals released the statement from Rizzo. It had included rampant epithets depicting African-Americans, many phrases objectifying women and at least one epithet used to describe Chinese people.

Houchins, 18, played this past season at Louisburg Junior College in North Carolina.

I regret not having more information to pass along, as this story warrants more reporting. I will try to have on this story later today.