Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 84788 times)

Offline UMDNats

Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #50: June 09, 2011, 08:48:10 AM »
I think that starting off, they should primarily play him at third base, but experiment with him at first and second as well. Have him work on fielding balls at first and taking grounders/DP at second base.

We can keep him primarily at third right now but we should at least try to make him flexible.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #51: June 09, 2011, 09:57:52 AM »
This does sound like Youkilis's development path, coupled with the occasional games at 2d and left when they were trying to find a way to get his bat on the field.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #52: June 09, 2011, 09:59:16 AM »
This does sound like Youkilis's development path, coupled with the occasional games at 2d and left when they were trying to find a way to get his bat on the field.

hope he's not a turd like youkilis

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #53: June 09, 2011, 10:10:05 AM »
If Rednon is injury prone, playing him at 1B instead of up the middle could reduce the chances for injury.  Although that didn't work for Nick Johnson.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #54: June 09, 2011, 10:48:30 AM »
If Rednon is injury prone, playing him at 1B instead of up the middle could reduce the chances for injury.  Although that didn't work for Nick Johnson.
That does make some sense, and is probably worth serious consideration, even though he's not a protypical first baseman (not enough beef  :mg:).  I have to say, as I think about his two ankle injuries, I do cringe at the thought of him trying to turn a double play while someone bears down on him full speed with a hard slide into second.  :icon_frown:

If it worked out, I suppose Morse could be a super sub - 1B/LF and a PH. Laroche would undoubtedly be long gone by then.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #55: June 09, 2011, 11:29:26 AM »

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #56: June 09, 2011, 04:38:30 PM »
When do you think we'll see him up? Next September? Next June?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #57: June 09, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »
When do you think we'll see him up? Next September? Next June?
He could be on the Dustin Ackley schedule - June 2013.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #58: June 10, 2011, 11:52:25 AM »
video embedding discussion split off:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=22981.0

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #59: July 07, 2011, 07:52:01 PM »
Leader of the Pack (Present): Anthony Rendon (Nationals)
The case for: Even though he has yet to play a professional game, Rendon’s combination of tools and polish make him the face of the position. At the plate, the native Texan (another plus attribute) is able to generate tremendous bat speed; his hands and hips work at near elite levels, and his raw strength is above average. Rendon’s hit tool projects to be plus-plus (70 grade)—which should allow him to become a perennial .300 hitter—with the overall approach to work counts, set up favorable hitting counts, and reach base at a high clip. His power potential ranges from average to plus, with a swing that some believe is better suited for gap-to-gap power, rather than a swing with the necessary loft and backspin to produce 25-plus homers per season without selling out his approach.

In the field, Rendon projects as an above-average defender at third, with both the leather and arm grading out as plus tools, and the instincts necessary to bring the physical package together. Speed isn’t a part of Rendon’s game, but his feet aren’t heavy, and he shows good first-step quickness and reactions. Despite not being a physical force, Rendon has all the attributes necessary to become an All-Star talent at the hot corner, with the ability to hit for average, reach base, hit for some power, and play above-average defense. It remains to be seen if Rendon ends up at third base for the Nationals, but that’s a byproduct of organizational depth, not a developmental deficiency in Rendon’s skill set.

The case against: The injury elephant. If you assume health, Rendon was arguably the top player available in the 2011 draft, a polished dual threat on the fast track to the majors. But the medicals obviously scared some teams off, and the health component [read: the ability to stay on the field] will be a concern until it isn’t. That’s as reductive as you can get, but it’s really that simple. A healthy Rendon has the potential to be a well above-average major leaguer, but he’s not going to stay on the top of any tier if his body isn’t ready for the physical challenge. 

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=14445#commentMessage

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #60: July 08, 2011, 04:59:43 PM »
can't wait to see him start making his way through the minors. Hopefully he doesn't skip potomac (the only minor league park my laziness allows me to drive to)

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #61: July 08, 2011, 05:05:20 PM »
Get it done, Rizzo. Go Owls!

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #62: July 08, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Get it done, Rizzo. Go Owls!

Check back August 14 at around 11:55 p.m.

:lol:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #63: July 08, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »

No, I demand special treatment concerning Rendon!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #64: July 08, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »

I can't wait for the first GM willing to tell bud to freak off and sign one of these guys early - you're loosing a decent portion of development time by waiting

Offline RD

« Reply #65: July 08, 2011, 05:52:52 PM »
MLB has to approve the deal. They'll come up with some reason to drag out the approval if someone tried to get around them.

I agree - its a huge piece of developmental time lost. I don't think its a big deal for someone like Rendon, but Meyer and Goodwin still need polish. They could use the extra experience.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #66: July 08, 2011, 05:57:56 PM »
MLB has to approve the deal. They'll come up with some reason to drag out the approval if someone tried to get around them.

I agree - its a huge piece of developmental time lost. I don't think its a big deal for someone like Rendon, but Meyer and Goodwin still need polish. They could use the extra experience.

they could, but the union would scream collusion, hell the team could annonce it and say it's pending league approval.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #67: July 09, 2011, 11:00:43 PM »
I can't wait for the first GM willing to tell bud to freak off and sign one of these guys early - you're loosing a decent portion of development time by waiting

Yes! Sign him now...get the shoulder fixed if it's injured. Get started. If he's not hurt, don't let this entire season go to waste.

Offline ChiefChris

« Reply #68: July 11, 2011, 12:37:35 AM »
So I'm guessing there's like a 0% chance we see this guy in Auburn this season?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #69: July 11, 2011, 12:42:55 PM »
- Sign Matt Stairs as a hitting coach

- Sign Rendon to hit. Argh! As memntioned (several times) above, why waste a year of his development...or recovery from surgery if his shoulder needs it?

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #70: August 19, 2011, 10:06:26 AM »
So when does Rendon make his appearance at Nats Park?   Edit: I mean ala Purke last night, not to play.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #71: September 26, 2011, 09:54:35 PM »
Boswell predicted the 2013 infield would be Z'man, Danny,  Rendon and Beast in Ask Boswell today online.  I hope he's right!   :metal:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #72: September 26, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »
Boswell predicted the 2013 infield would be Z'man, Danny,  Rendon and Beast in Ask Boswell today online.  I hope he's right!   :metal:

See that'd be awesome. I want him to be an infielder.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #73: September 26, 2011, 11:40:37 PM »
did he predict where Desmond goes?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #74: September 26, 2011, 11:42:23 PM »
did he predict where Desmond goes?

as long as desmond keeps hitting the way he's hitting, he's not going anywhere.