Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 40883 times)

Offline Minty Fresh

• Crud, No! I want to play ball!
Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #25: June 07, 2011, 07:40:31 AM »
I still am amused at how many people still think Espinosa is all that, and Desmond is a POS.

Espinosa still has A LOT to prove. Hitting a few bombs doesn't change that.

Desmond still has things to prove as well, not saying he's proven himself. But both have a lot of work to do.

When people on this board develop a liking to a player, they will continue to push it no matter what. Espinosa's .220 average isn't proving anything(and I know Desmond is hitting essentially the same, without the pop but he's been ridiculous on the bases).

I think Rendon would make a sick second baseman offensively but I think he's headed to the outfield.

It's an easier transition to make, and will get him to the bigs quicker, ala Harper.

The best leadoff hitter in our entire organization is Lombardozzi. We're going to have to make room for him in the lineup. That could still mean a shift of Espinosa to short, it could mean keeping Desmond at short and trading Espinosa. It just opens up other options.

I dont want to make this about all that though, so on to Rendon.

We just made out like bandits. Rendon is a flat out stud. To be able to nab him at 6 is freaking amazing. He's a true middle of the order bat that will move quickly.

I liken him to Ryan Braun. While he is much more suited to play on the infield than Braun, I think his all arond bat is more than enough to be a star in the outfield. If he can make the move to 2b with that bat, we have the best 2b in the game. I don't care where he plays, his selection is arguably the best we could've hoped for, considering our offensive woes.

In 2013, we're going to have both Harper and Rendon in the lineup every day. With Werth and Zim, the offensive is going to be pretty damn good.

Just watching the two of them:  Espinosa looks far more comfortable and has all the instincts of a middle infielder.  Desmond does not. 

If we get the power in the lineup we think we're getting with Harper and now Rendon, Espinosa can 8th in the lineup and we don't really lose out.