Author Topic: Gary Carter  (Read 5484 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Gary Carter
« Reply #25: September 04, 2011, 09:44:26 PM »
Haha. When he said he was a member of the Tribe I don't think he meant the Indians.

I don't think Koufax is gay though.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #26: September 04, 2011, 09:51:08 PM »
I don't think Koufax is gay though.

Rumored, but definitely not.  I told the guy "you just cost yourself a sale azzclown". 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: September 04, 2011, 10:05:13 PM »
I don't see how that, if it were true, would add to the value of an autograph of the greatest lefty to ever pitch. 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #28: September 04, 2011, 10:07:50 PM »
I'm pretty sure he is referring to Sandy Koufax.

I don't see how that, if it were true, would add to the value of an autograph of the greatest lefty to ever pitch. 

It's hard to choose between Koufax and Spahn. Koufax didn't play long enough and the first half of his career was not even close to what he was in his last six years or so. 1963  :shock:  Spahn on the other hand probably stuck around two years too long.  :lol:  A couple of the old timers can chime in on this but didn't Warren Spahn lose several years to WWII. If so, that probably robbed him of a couple of very good seasons.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #29: September 04, 2011, 10:42:41 PM »

Me either.  It was a really bad scene all the way around 'cause I was ready to drop $400 on a Koufax ball that day.  Guess I'll just have to keep that spot next to Shawn Green in my Hebrew Hall of Fame open.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #30: September 05, 2011, 09:44:13 AM »
It's hard to choose between Koufax and Spahn. Koufax didn't play long enough and the first half of his career was not even close to what he was in his last six years or so. 1963  :shock:  Spahn on the other hand probably stuck around two years too long.  :lol:  A couple of the old timers can chime in on this but didn't Warren Spahn lose several years to WWII. If so, that probably robbed him of a couple of very good seasons.
Let me change what I said slightly.  Koufax had the best 5 year (or so) peak of any lefty.  I always refer to Pedro as the righty Koufax for 1997 - 2002 or so.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #31: January 19, 2012, 04:14:37 PM »
Sadly, it sounds like he is losing his battle.  Godspeed to the Carters.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/gary-carter-fight-brain-cancer-takes-turn-worse-tumors-found-ny-mets-hall-famer-brain-article-1.1008797#ixzz1jwNQNRP3

Gary Carter's fight with brain cancer has turned from brave to extremely grave.

On Thursday, Carter's family received a phone call from the doctors at Duke University who have been treating the Mets Hall of Fame catcher informing them that the most recent MRI revealed “several new spots/tumors on his brain,” Carter's daughter, Kimmy Bloomers, wrote on the family website.

In recent weeks, Carter's condition was visibly worsening, and Carter began complaining of severe headaches, fatigue and balance problems that resulted in a fall on Christmas Day in which he tore his rotator cuff.

This past week, Carter spent almost all of his time at his home in Palm Beach Gardens and was too weak Monday to even attend his annual charity golf tournament a few miles away.

According to a family source, the doctors are now deciding whether to cease giving Carter any more treatment.

On the website Thursday, Carter's daughter reported: "I wish I could report the results were good ... I write these words with tears because I am so sad for my dad. Dr. Jimmy Harris will be coming to my parents' house this evening to talk to the family about the next step."

Last May 21, Carter, after complaining of headaches and forgetfulness for weeks, was found to have four small tumors on his brain. From there, it was determined he would be treated with massive doses of chemotherapy and radiation at Duke University. The particular types of brain tumors from which Carter is suffering are inoperable and are the same that eventually proved fatal for former baseball notables, Bobby Murcer, Dick Howser, Johnny Oates, Dan Quisenberry and Tug McGraw.

"This is an unbelievable journey, nothing I could have ever imagined," Carter said in that last interview. "God is helping me get through this.”

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #32: January 19, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »
absolutely horrible horrible news.  Man, a year ago I was hoping he would become the Nats manager someday.

I'll say a prayer.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #33: January 19, 2012, 06:29:10 PM »
May his next step be as comfortable as it can.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #34: January 19, 2012, 08:57:36 PM »
absolutely horrible horrible news.  Man, a year ago I was hoping he would become the Nats manager someday.

I'll say a prayer.

Just a year-and-a-half ago I watched him play a game on Doubleday Field.   :(

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #35: January 19, 2012, 09:30:29 PM »
Heartbreaking. Gary Carter was my baseball hero when I was a kid. He was everything that a baseball star should be.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #37: February 16, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »
Terrible. RIP.

Online imref

« Reply #38: February 16, 2012, 05:28:48 PM »
well this sucks.  Hopefully the Nats honor him during the home opener.

Online imref

« Reply #39: February 16, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »

Offline saltydad

« Reply #40: February 16, 2012, 05:38:28 PM »
What a loss.  :(

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #41: February 16, 2012, 05:40:56 PM »
Very, very sad.  RIP Kid.

Online imref

« Reply #42: February 16, 2012, 05:48:15 PM »
I wonder if the Nats will retire his number.  He's already in the wall of fame.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #43: February 16, 2012, 05:57:43 PM »
Sad news. I wonder if they'll put a patch  for him on the uniforms this season.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #44: February 16, 2012, 06:12:36 PM »
RIP :(
I hope the Nats do retire is number

« Reply #45: February 16, 2012, 07:08:10 PM »
Got to meet Gary Carter 3 years ago in Cooperstown.  He was just a down to earth type of guy.  RIP

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #46: February 16, 2012, 07:28:20 PM »
Rest in Peace Kid!  No more pain!

Offline Bloo

« Reply #47: February 16, 2012, 09:22:55 PM »
R.I.P. Gary Carter. The Nats will win for you this year.

Online imref

« Reply #48: February 16, 2012, 09:32:34 PM »
Got to meet Gary Carter 3 years ago in Cooperstown.  He was just a down to earth type of guy.  RIP

wow, how did you get to meet him?

Online imref

« Reply #49: February 16, 2012, 09:59:17 PM »
Davey Johnson:

"Today, the world of baseball lost a Hall-of-Famer and I have lost a treasured friend. Anyone lucky enough to have been part of Gary Carter's world will agree. Nobody loved life in a bigger way than Gary. He seized every opportunity to savor what mattered most to him: his close-knit, loving family; meaningful, enduring friendships; an unbridled passion for baseball; and the fulfillment he felt from making a difference in his community. Gary's brave battle has ended, but his from-the-gut laughter will be heard and his vitality and spirit will be felt forever. I loved him very much, and I know he is finally at peace.”