Author Topic: Girardi to be Yanks announcer  (Read 3082 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Girardi to be Yanks announcer
« Topic Start: November 13, 2006, 09:00:31 PM »
NEW YORK -- Joe Girardi is back in the Yankees family, but he won't be wearing pinstripes.

Girardi was introduced as the newest member of the YES Network broadcast team on Monday, as he returns to the network as a game analyst. Girardi spent the 2004 season with YES before taking a job as Joe Torre's bench coach in 2005 and becoming the Marlins manager in 2006.

After being let go by Florida following the season, Girardi interviewed for the Nationals' managerial opening before removing himself from consideration.

"I thought it was best, at this time in my life, to go back to broadcasting," Girardi said. "I enjoy the challenges of broadcasting and I enjoy the challenges of managing. ... We had a lot of discussions with the Nationals, but I felt it just wasn't the right timing for my family and I. I loved managing, but it wasn't the right timing."

Girardi joins John Flaherty, Al Leiter and Paul O'Neill as game analysts for YES, while Michael Kay and Ken Singleton will return to handle play-by-play duties. Girardi will work approximately 60 games in 2007.

Girardi and Flaherty will also co-host "Behind the Plate," a new series on the network which will look at the game of baseball from the viewpoint of two former catchers.

Girardi wants to manage in the Majors again at some point, but he doesn't plan on jumping ship in the middle of the season if an opportunity presents itself. That said, he wouldn't rule anything out.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1: November 13, 2006, 09:25:13 PM »
Well, he's in prime position to be their next manager after Torre. (and YES his decision to NOT come to DC has to do with him wanting the NYY position).

Go Manny Acta.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #2: November 13, 2006, 09:31:51 PM »
exactly...he lied to the press.  Can't say I blame him though...who wouldn't want to manage the Yanks?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #3: November 13, 2006, 09:36:25 PM »
Unless he's planning on calling the games live via Satellite from Florida, that puts his lame "I'm not moving my family again" excuse in the toilet where it always belonged.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #4: November 13, 2006, 10:00:15 PM »
Quote from: "The Chief"
Unless he's planning on calling the games live via Satellite from Florida, that puts his lame "I'm not moving my family again" excuse in the toilet where it always belonged.
Don't foget that crap about having too much respect for Joe Torre to be doing something like that... :roll:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5: November 14, 2006, 08:49:13 AM »
Quote from: "The Chief"

F it. we got Manny Acta and from the looks of Nats19's avatar, he don't take no crap

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: November 14, 2006, 08:53:46 AM »
I heard on XM this morning that Girardi is only going to work 65 games next season.  If true, obviously that would mean he is spending a lot more time with his family, than if he spent 8 months in spring training and on the road with the team.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #7: November 14, 2006, 09:28:38 PM »

F it. we got Manny Acta and from the looks of Nats19's avatar, he don't take no crap

Manny Acta don't take no crap from nobody. Manny Acta is the man. Manny Acta eats Joe Girardi for breakfast.

« Reply #8: November 14, 2006, 10:57:57 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"

Manny Acta don't take no crap from nobody. Manny Acta is the man. Manny Acta eats Joe Girardi for breakfast.

Acta has a chin on him!  Look at that!  That's it, I here-by declare Acta as "The Chin" and I will refer to him as so!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #9: November 15, 2006, 09:00:37 PM »
Acta's "Chin" could become the baseball's equivalent of Bill Cowher's chin.

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
« Reply #10: November 15, 2006, 09:44:10 PM »
Quote from: "Nats19"

Psh. I'm sure Acta wastes his time eating Joe Girardi for breakfast. He goes straight to Tony LaRussa.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #11: November 15, 2006, 10:49:45 PM »
Manny is the man.  I mean come on, he exudes manliness.  It's in his name for cripes sake!  Manny!

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #12: November 16, 2006, 05:52:32 PM »
I got two words for Girardi after this crap: