Author Topic: Fishing  (Read 3635 times)

Online tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Fishing
« Reply #75: June 18, 2012, 03:49:19 PM »
I spotted two adult snakeheads in the Mallows Bay area of the Potomac yesterday, as well as spooked another adult off her nest.

Also caught a couple of nice bass in the clear filtered water, sight casting to them with a Senko.

These are the fry she left in her wake.  I coudn't get a better shot because of the glare and if I got any closer they'd absorb into the grass.

Online mitlen

• We had 'em all the way
« Reply #76: June 19, 2012, 01:04:58 AM »
I spotted two adult snakeheads in the Mallows Bay area of the Potomac yesterday, as well as spooked another adult off her nest.

Also caught a couple of nice bass in the clear filtered water, sight casting to them with a Senko.

These are the fry she left in her wake.  I coudn't get a better shot because of the glare and if I got any closer they'd absorb into the grass.

Infestation can't be good.   I'm not a fisherman (per se) but from what I've read, these guys eat all the local life.

Online tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #77: November 21, 2012, 09:23:18 PM »
This could go in the vacation thread, but here too.

Next August I'm going with my son, and two other dads with their 18 year old sons, to Wyoming into the Wind River Range.  While we are couching this as a "last hurrah" for the boys going off to college, the overt goal of the trip is to catch as many trout as possible.  Brook, Cutthroat, Mackinaw, Lake, Rainbow, and the holy grail, Golden.

My friend who is leading the trip did this as a 20 something, and has never experienced better trout fishing in his life.  A cursory review of Youtube would show that the fishing is as good as ever for those willing to make the trek. 

Day 1 will be about a 14 mile hike with our hydration/daypacks while our full packs are carried in by horseback to our rendezvous point by Grave Lake.  From there, we head north into the Shoshone Reservation for a truly primitive and remote experience.  Grizzly, black bear, mountain lion, wolves, elk, bison, moose, antelope, all the grandeur of The West.    :worship:

Can't wait!

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #78: December 27, 2012, 11:07:22 AM »
To anyone that likes/enjoys fly fishing, on of my co-workers has a fishing business. Here's the web page.

http://www.earlyriseflies.com/

Online tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #79: May 26, 2013, 09:51:26 PM »
A couple of my friends fished Mattawoman creek (lower Potomac) friday a week past, and hammered fish on top.  Fishing a frog, George caught 6 snakeheads and 15 bass.  The largest snakehead was 9 lbs, he had a 7 as well.  Rob also had a 9, didn't get his full report.

It's only a matter of time before the state and US records fall, perhaps a number of times before things settle in for snakeheads.

I'm going tomorrow, going "light" with a canoe, just going to fish 5 hours, quit at noon.  Think I"m going to hit the back of Piscataway.  Grass is getting up, starting to filter the water, so topwater should work plus dropping a Senko in a hole is deadly.