Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Brad Peacock, RHP  (Read 33856 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Follow the Prospects: Brad Peacock, RHP
« Reply #300: August 30, 2011, 10:50:26 AM »
If someone knows whether he has to be added to the 40 man roster this off-season, then fill us in. I think that will make a difference in how they handle him this september.  If he must be added before the Rule 5 draft, the only reason not to would be an acute roster squeeze (i.e., need to finish the season with a guy who becomes a free agent at the end of the year like Wang or Nix).

Offline blue911

« Reply #301: August 30, 2011, 10:55:25 AM »
If someone knows whether he has to be added to the 40 man roster this off-season, then fill us in. I think that will make a difference in how they handle him this september.  If he must be added before the Rule 5 draft, the only reason not to would be an acute roster squeeze (i.e., need to finish the season with a guy who becomes a free agent at the end of the year like Wang or Nix).

Chris Marrero was drafted the same year and had to be protected last off season.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #302: August 30, 2011, 11:01:25 AM »
Chris Marrero was drafted the same year and had to be protected last off season.

I think since Peacock was a draft and follow, he must be on the 40 man by this winter.

In fact, according to Nats Prospects "Big Board" Peacock is a 2011 Rule V candidate... so he has to be added this off-season.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmkEIm1TLiXQdGhVRjRfNW81SG8xRlROQ1ZxZzNfbUE&hl=en#gid=0

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #303: August 30, 2011, 11:09:35 AM »
Linty is correct.  Because he was draft and follow, he does not have to be added until this off-season.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #304: August 30, 2011, 12:07:22 PM »
i watched both, personally i thought peacock was better of the two.  his stuff is pretty damn good.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #305: August 30, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »
Does being on the major league roster in September affect his AFL eligibility?

Of course, with his innings load, they may not want him in the AFL.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #306: August 30, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »

Peacock needs to play the AFL to get his innings up. If he's called up he'll get, at most, 20 innings. He's thrown 140+ three seasons in a row. They need to get him to at least 160 this season if they want to use him as a starter.

On top of that, his change isn't there yet. He's doubled his walk rate from double A. If they intend to keep him as a starter, he needs to work on his change some more.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #307: August 30, 2011, 03:45:19 PM »
Peacock needs to play the AFL to get his innings up. If he's called up he'll get, at most, 20 innings. He's thrown 140+ three seasons in a row. They need to get him to at least 160 this season if they want to use him as a starter.

On top of that, his change isn't there yet. He's doubled his walk rate from double A. If they intend to keep him as a starter, he needs to work on his change some more.

He's pitched non-stop for a year straight. The last thing he needs is more innings.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #308: August 30, 2011, 05:24:53 PM »
Benzadrine Farteltaub has a tweet suggestion of a Peacock call-up coming soon:

#Nats RHP Brad Peacock more than likely will work out of the bullpen once he is promoted to the big leagues. #MLB

Offline Slateman

« Reply #309: August 30, 2011, 05:52:15 PM »
Hmmm .... no faith in his ability to improve the change?

Monty what are you talking about? He's only gone 140ish innings. In order to build up his arm he needs to get to the 160s. Unless he was playing in some sort of winter (January and February ) baseball league I've never heard of.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #310: August 30, 2011, 05:54:12 PM »
Hmmm .... no faith in his ability to improve the change?

Monty what are you talking about? He's only gone 140ish innings. In order to build up his arm he needs to get to the 160s. Unless he was playing in some sort of winter (January and February ) baseball league I've never heard of.

He pitched in the AFL last year.

Offline RD

« Reply #311: August 30, 2011, 05:55:45 PM »
Peacock's already thrown 146 innings this year, and should get one more start in the minors, pushing him over 150 for the year.

He'll rack up a couple in the bigs. He's not going to pitch in the AFL. He'll be close enough to that 160 mark.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #312: August 30, 2011, 11:20:32 PM »
Ok fair enough then. Bring him up and let him throw out of the bullpen I guess.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #313: September 21, 2011, 05:28:12 PM »
While he's in the majors, he'll not use up rookie eligibility this season.  This article, with a fantasy emphasis, projects him as one of the prospects to possibly grab now for help down the line in keeper / fantasy:

Brad Peacock, Nationals
I covered Peacock in a Mining the Minors column from last month. The right-hander has come a long way in 2011, to the point where he’s now seen as a potential mid-rotation starter. His first start in the majors was very solid — 5 IPs, 2 hits, no runs, 3 walks and 2 strikeouts against the Mets — and he’ll get another outing or two so the Nats can gauge just how soon he’ll fit into their 2012 plans. After posting a 2.39 ERA, 0.99 WHIP and 10.9 K/9 over Double- and Triple-A, the guess here is he begins the season back in Syracuse for a month or two before getting his shot. Then again, Washington’s rotation is in flux outside of Stephen Strasburg, Jordan Zimmermann and John Lannan, so a good spring could hasten Peacock’s timeframe. The upside here, though, isn’t quite as big as the names ahead of him, so Peacock is more of a streaming option in NL leagues, with the possibility of becoming a spot-starter once we see how he performs early on.