Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Brad Peacock, RHP  (Read 33852 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Follow the Prospects: Brad Peacock, RHP
« Reply #100: June 01, 2011, 12:32:44 PM »
I'd love to see him be the one to replace Marquis when he is eventually dealt.

or maya in his next start hehe

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #101: June 02, 2011, 01:45:19 PM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/sports/fantasy/blog?name=grey_jason&id=6619130

The Washington Nationals rotation likely won't get a shot in the arm from Stephen Strasburg this season. After all, there's no reason for them to rush him back. But it's possible they could get help sometime in the second half from a different pitcher, right-hander Brad Peacock.

The 23-year-old, 6-foot-1 right-hander is creating some buzz with a breakout season at Double-A this year, posting a 2.03 ERA in 62 innings, striking out 82, walking just 13, and giving up just two home runs.

Peacock, primarily an infielder in high school, was a 41st-round pick in 2006 as a draft-and-follow. Now in his fifth season as a pro, he showed some flashes of his current performance last season in fanning 148 over 142 innings, mostly at high Class A. Peacock then went to last year's Arizona Fall League, where I saw him quite a few times, working in a relief role. At the time, I thought his future was indeed going to be in the bullpen. Is it time to re-evaluate that assessment based on his early success this year?

Peacock has a very quick arm and solid arm action that allows him to sit in the 92-95 mph range and touch higher, though it is mostly a straight pitch. He's also able to carry the velocity deeper into the game. Peacock's knuckle-curve has good downward movement and projects out as a plus offering. He just needs to make sure it stays tighter consistently. The third pitch, a changeup, is very much a work in progress, and perhaps the key to what Peacock's eventual role will be.

I was actually a little surprised that Peacock didn't spend more time at the AFL throwing his change. It seemed like the perfect setting to work on it in game action, because it's really just a "show-me" pitch at this juncture. It has the velocity separation you're looking for, but it lacks movement, and he doesn't have a good feel for it, and he occasionally tips it with his arm speed (though he's reportedly doing a better job of that this season.) Essentially, Peacock is just a two-pitch hurler right now. Another issue in previous seasons was that his mistakes are up in the zone. It hasn't been an issue this year, but could still be as he moves up.

At times in the past, Peacock wasn't as aggressive as he needed to be and didn't always trust his stuff, but that's not the case anymore. He actually trusts both of his pitches to get the job done, sometimes to the detriment of his changeup development. He's athletic and repeats his delivery, which bodes well for continuing to throw consistent strikes and locating the fastball, two things he will need to do because he doesn't have a deep repertoire.

I do think the development of Peacock's change is ultimately going to determine how well he can transition to a big league rotation. Obviously, you can still be primarily a two-pitch guy and still have success as a starter in the big leagues. A healthy Ben Sheets is a good example of a short right-hander who had success with basically just a fastball and curve thanks to his impeccable command of them. Peacock has clearly made some strides in both control and command this season, but I think there are still some question marks about his ability to translate his minor league starting success to a major league rotation, and he could ultimately just be a really good arm toward the back of a big league bullpen. That said, his performance in 2011 has at least put him on fantasy radar screens as a name to watch in case that bullpen assessment is incorrect.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #102: June 02, 2011, 01:51:50 PM »
Jason Grey has me on ignore.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #103: June 03, 2011, 12:51:39 PM »

What factors are preventing you from promoting brad peacock to triple A syracuse?

Mike (Rizzo) says, "Brad Peacock is quickly becoming one of our most prized pitching prospects. He currently is performing extremely well at the Double-A level, and is several months removed from a great performance in the Arizona Fall League. We feel that his development is right on track, and the reason that he's not in Triple-A at this time is twofold: We feel he needs more starts at the Double-A level, and the current rotation in Triple-A is also full of major league prospects that are more experienced than Brad."

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #104: June 03, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »
It's actually kind of hard to see Detwiler as a major league starter at this point, with a 90 MPH fastball and poor control. Personally, I wouldn't let him or Stammen hold back other prospects at this point.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #105: June 12, 2011, 06:17:27 PM »
Peacock, today...

6.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 10 K

Offline kirubel94

« Reply #106: June 12, 2011, 06:59:17 PM »
Peacock, today...

6.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 10 K

Zimmerman like.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #107: June 12, 2011, 08:47:42 PM »
Zimmerman like.
FotF can do it all! so that is why he went on the DL!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #108: June 12, 2011, 08:57:12 PM »
FotF can do it all! so that is why he went on the DL!

nice.

i'd rather see peacock than maya.

Offline CatsEye

• Very weird season -Creepy - What....
« Reply #109: June 15, 2011, 11:16:22 AM »
 Quote: Mike (Rizzo) says, "Brad Peacock: He needs more starts at the Double-A level, and the current rotation in Triple-A is also full of major league prospects that are more experienced than Brad."

And that is the crust of the problem -too many pitchers ahead of Brad Peacock  in Triple-A -going back and forth between Triple-A and the Major Club - so Peacock has to wait until they decide to trade, release or tender some of these revolving door pitchers...like Mock, Detwiler, Stammen - just to name a few...until he gets a shot at the Major Leagues,etc. - I think that's a problem. Also that we hold on to some of these Triple-A pitchers tooo long.  
         I'm Sayin -JESUS Could Come To Earth And Perform Miracles, And Mock Still Wouldn't Be Good Enough To Be A  Regular Relief Or Starter Pitcher In Nats Major League Club....And Yet - There He Is Still Pitching - Still Making Excuses.... :smh:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #110: June 15, 2011, 11:26:02 AM »
I think we all agree with you on Mock.

He's hot garbage.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #111: June 15, 2011, 11:41:31 AM »
What's the current AAA rotation?

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #112: June 15, 2011, 11:43:01 AM »

Off the top of my head,

Detwiler
Milone
Meyers
Stammen
Maya/Martin

3 of those pitchers are major league starter prospects, with Detwiler teetering on the edge of starter/reliever because of performance.

Honestly, Maya shouldn't be a starter anymore. But whatever. He's Rizzo's $6 million boy so he'll be like Mock and get chance after chance after chance.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #113: June 15, 2011, 11:44:54 AM »
Martin
Milone
Meyers
Detwiler
Arnensen/Stammen

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #114: June 15, 2011, 11:45:14 AM »
Arnesen has made some spot starts for Syracuse recently.

Gorzelanny made a rehab start with them the other night too.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #115: June 15, 2011, 11:52:15 AM »
The only mainstays are Detwiler, Milone and Meyers (actual prospects). Martin is easily movable out of the rotation as is Stammen, Arnesen and Maya. It's workable. What else does Peacock have to do at AA?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #116: June 15, 2011, 12:13:36 PM »
Quote: Mike (Rizzo) says, "Brad Peacock: He needs more starts at the Double-A level, and the current rotation in Triple-A is also full of major league prospects that are more experienced than Brad."

And that is the crust of the problem -too many pitchers ahead of Brad Peacock  in Triple-A -going back and forth between Triple-A and the Major Club - so Peacock has to wait until they decide to trade, release or tender some of these revolving door pitchers...like Mock, Detwiler, Stammen - just to name a few...until he gets a shot at the Major Leagues,etc. - I think that's a problem. Also that we hold on to some of these Triple-A pitchers tooo long. 
         I'm Sayin -JESUS Could Come To Earth And Perform Miracles, And Mock Still Wouldn't Be Good Enough To Be A  Regular Relief Or Starter Pitcher In Nats Major League Club....And Yet - There He Is Still Pitching - Still Making Excuses.... :smh:

That is the crust of the problem.  :)

Mock is the new Teddy R - always in the race, never wins.  Actually, Mock as the lovable team mascot might make some sense.  Maybe he could fight Maya and his blond highlights for the spot.

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #117: June 15, 2011, 12:35:36 PM »
Martin
Milone
Meyers
Detwiler
Arnensen/Stammen

So Balester was called up to the Major Club? Or are you just talking about starters in AAA?

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #118: June 15, 2011, 12:35:54 PM »
starters dude...

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #119: June 15, 2011, 12:41:30 PM »

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #120: June 15, 2011, 12:41:43 PM »

So Balester was called up to the Major Club? Or are you just talking about starters in AAA?

Starters only.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #121: June 15, 2011, 01:15:32 PM »
Thanks dude.....

it was apparent if you read the conversation.

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #122: June 15, 2011, 01:40:24 PM »
it was apparent if you read the conversation.
               Thank you so much for that comment..... :dagger:

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #123: June 15, 2011, 01:53:19 PM »
That is the crust of the problem.  :)

Glad someone else noticed this  :thumbs:

Offline CatsEye

« Reply #124: June 15, 2011, 02:07:19 PM »
Glad someone else noticed this  :thumbs:
              Crust as in foundation or a solid layer of the problem - I used the word first and used it for a reason in my post, in this thread.  Then I read you quoted me, and used it again -as to where you are going with this I have no idea. It you see fit, substitute the work "crux" of the problem. Even though I have been on this forum for almost 4 years now, I still find some of the postings - with the meaning obvious to many, not so much to me at times - so I will continue to ask questions.    :shrug: