Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Cameron Selik  (Read 5698 times)

Online sportsfan882

Follow the Prospects: Cameron Selik
« Topic Start: April 26, 2011, 08:53:17 AM »
RHP Cameron Selik (22nd round-University of Kansas)

A little more on Selik than most of these other guys.

Sickels (5/25/2010): "He's a big guy at 6-3, 240 pounds, a "strong legs" type. His numbers are so-so this year, 4.66 ERA with a 68/30 K/BB in 85 innings, 86 hits. But he has a decent fastball at 88-92 MPH, and got some nasty break on his slider at times, in addition to mixing in a few changeups. He would profile as a bullpen back-ender at the higher levels, but someone in the later rounds could pick him up. Guys with worse arms have been successful pitchers.

The Kansan noted that Selik hit 95 mph in a start against Baylor in March. It looks like he's finally starting to come around from his Tommy John surgery in 2007 (a good article from KU's official site about his recovery can be found here. Another by the Kansan can be found here). Another interesting note about his selection: Selik was Stephen Strasburg's catcher growing up.

RHP, U of Kansas, 6’2″ 245 lbs. — “Selik is a big bodied reliever who profiles as a possible middle reliever arm. He’s going to have to stay on top of his conditioning, as he’s already a little big, but I can see him moving quickly as a senior arm, as he’s already signed.”

Jon (DC): I'm sure you'll get a few questions about him, but Cameron Selik? Ever see him in college or at Vermont? Any updated reports on him? Thanks.

Jim Callis: He touched the mid-90s while at Kansas but was inconsistent—which obviously hasn't been the case during his great start so far this year.

23 IP 15 0 R 0 ER 3 BB 23 K (2-0, 0.00 ERA, 0.78 WHIP) start for Hagerstown.

Online sportsfan882

Re: Cameron Selik - Follow the Prospects
« Reply #1: April 26, 2011, 08:54:12 AM »
Fantastic article on Selik who is a converted catcher (caught for Strasburg as a kid).

http://www.allvoices.com/news/5651812/s/52606892-tumbleweed-turned-ace

The bright lights of the big leagues were once tangible for a young Cameron Selik.

He successfully converted from a backup catcher to a relief pitcher. In 2008, he signed his letter of intent to UNLV, which granted him a scholarship.

The path to stardom was paved.

Then he blew out his right elbow, and seemingly his future. Selik underwent Tommy John surgery shortly after.

“They pulled out of the scholarship and I was stuck with nothing. Junior college guy, unproven, coming off injury. No one’s really going to give you that chance — until I met coach Price.”

Kansas coach Ritch Price was in the Las Vegas area recruiting high school kids when he stumbled upon Selik the tumbleweed. The two met up so that Price could check out the arm of UNLV’s leftovers.

“Knowing he was there, I probably went a little too hard,” Selik chuckled to himself.

It took just one bullpen session for Price to make up his mind. 11 months removed from surgery, Selik was a Jayhawk.

Born like this Selik was born to be a ball player.

“The first word out of my mouth was ‘ball’,” Selik said.

At age 5, the San Diego native began playing baseball with his father, a former junior college pitcher.

“I fell in love with it as soon as I started playing. It’s what’s always been there for me,” Selik said.

In little league, Selik was Goliath, towering over toothpick teammates.

“That’s when the off ensive prowess got put into play,” Selik said of his little league days.

But Selik’s eventual pinpoint precision was still undeveloped. His wild throwing on the mound

nearly snapped opposing toothpicks that dared to step into the batter’s box.

“They didn’t let me pitch at all because apparently I threw too hard and had no idea where the ball was going,” Selik said.

Without pitching, Selik groomed into a pillar at the corners — a first and third baseman.

“I always got yelled at because I was playing too close,” Selik said. “When the big hitters were up, I still wouldn’t move.”

When high school rolled around, Selik said that his work ethic off the diamond was good enough to get him to junior college, but nothing more.

He enrolled at Grossmont College in El Cajon, Calif., but was unsure of how he would fit in with the baseball team.

“I was afraid I was going to get cut,” Selik said of his first day there.

Initially, he considered trying out for the team as a backup catcher (an old friend and long-time teammate was already in place as starter). But his coach, Randy Abshier, didn’t want to waste Selik’s arm on the bench. Selik threw a bullpen session for Abshier with surprising accuracy.

Then in the last scrimmage game of the season and the second game of a doubleheader against Point Loma Nazarene, Abshier handed Selik the ball. Due to Grossmont’s shaky defense, Selek’s lone inning read as follows: zero hits, one unearned run, two errors by teammates and four strikeouts.

Abshier told him to leave his catcher’s gear at home. Selik was a pitcher now.

A New Trade

Selik made the team that year as the last of nine players on the pitching staff . Still unproven, he wasn’t used until a blowout in the twelfth game of the season.

“Everyone says that the first time my name was called, I was shaking and tried to hang up my jacket and could barely do it,” Selik said.

In two innings, Selik struck out five batters and established his role as the go-to guy in the bullpen for the rest of the season.

“I loved coming out of the pen in tight situations,” Selik said.

The next season, Selik was again an ace, but this time as a starting pitcher. With little starting experience, he said that he struggled to manage his arm and body for the long haul of a game. Going from one or two innings to six or seven was no easy transition. But the talent was always there.

“You can tell by the way he pitches that he’s got a lot of swagger to him,” junior pitcher Wally Marciel said.

Selik also struggled coping with playing just once every five games. He said that he closed games on days that he wasn’t starting.

“That probably contributed to me getting hurt,” Selik said. “But that’s always the guy I was. I’d do anything to help the team win.”

In a midseason game, Selik got roughed up in a 45-pitch, two-inning clunker and Grossmont had worn out all of its relief pitchers. But the team had a date with a heated rival two days later. Of course Selik off ered his services. The result — a complete game three hitter on two days’ rest.

A Different Place

Selik grew up playing with Stephen Strasburg, the stud pitcher for the Washington Nationals and last year’s No. 1 draft pick.

Strasburg currently lights up radar guns with triple-digit heat and embarrasses hitters with an 86-mph curveball-slider hybrid. But Selik used to catch Strasburg, and he wasn’t impressed.

“Nothing really clicked for him until he got to college,” Selik said. “When he was in high school when we grew up together, he was just another one of the guys. He didn’t have a great work ethic and was out of shape until he got to college.”

At San Diego State, Strasburg’s starts were the only times that anyone would show up for the

games. No Strasburg, no crowd.

“On the West Coast, it’s all about pro sports. It’s the Padres. It’s the Angels. It’s pro football teams.”

Selik needed a place that could match his passion for the game and thankfully found Lawrence.

“I honestly believe that some people would rather watch our team than the Royals,” Selik said. “It’s a better atmosphere for the game and what brought me out here.”

The Flame-throwing Mentor

Now in his senior year and second season as a Jayhawk, Selik is learning to not just throw, but to execute his fastball, slider, curveball and change-up.

“It’s another year removed from the injury,” pitching coach Ryan Graves said. “He has more trust and all of his strength back.”

Having been there and back, he also serves as a mentor for younger players.

“I had Tommy John as well and I was asking him questions,” Marciel said. “I was timid about throwing my slider, but he told me to keep throwing it.”

In nine games started this season, Selik is 5-3.

Batters are hitting just .256 against him and he has struck out 48 to just 17 walks. It would be safe to say that he has grown past the days of the wild little leaguer who wasn’t allowed on the mound.

“You never have to worry about firing him up to pitch,” Graves said.

One More Crack at the Show

After hitting 95 mph on the radar gun against Baylor on March 27 (despite it being one of his worst games of the season), a scout from the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim gave Selik a call.

He recently received letters from the Philadelphia Phillies and the Tampa Bay Rays.

“Over the last month, he’s really opened some eyes,” Graves said. “The fact that he’s been a reliever and a starter, he’s a pretty versatile guy.”

It may have been by a different path than originally planned, but the bright lights of the big leagues are starting to illuminate once more.

The tumbleweed turned into an ace. Now he’s got another chance.

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #2: April 26, 2011, 08:55:01 AM »
I reached out to Cameron through Twitter for a Q&A session, we'll see if he is down for it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: April 26, 2011, 09:08:36 AM »
I reached out to Cameron through Twitter for a Q&A session, we'll see if he is down for it.

:thumbs:

Show him the previous chats, and let him know to contact me to set it up and moderate. 

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #4: April 26, 2011, 12:43:47 PM »
Hell yeah, he said he would be down for it. Are you on twitter, tomterp? How do you want to contact him?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #5: April 26, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »
it's time for him to be up in Potomac.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: April 26, 2011, 12:51:08 PM »
Hell yeah, he said he would be down for it. Are you on twitter, tomterp? How do you want to contact him?

I'm not on twitter, PM me and I'll give you my email address.

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #7: April 26, 2011, 01:10:57 PM »
Alright tomterp, I just got Cam's e-mail and I PM-ed it to you. This is going to be sweet :az:

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #8: April 26, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »
Alright tomterp, I just got Cam's e-mail and I PM-ed it to you. This is going to be sweet :az:

SF's new man-crush lol... Good job though SF!

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #9: April 26, 2011, 01:13:36 PM »
Cam only has 142 followers, come on people: http://www.twitter.com/cameronselik

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #10: April 26, 2011, 01:15:34 PM »
haha if this was werth or livo wanting do a chat, ya know SF would be like nah no thanks don't need your e-mail.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: April 26, 2011, 01:19:54 PM »
haha if this was werth or livo wanting do a chat, ya know SF would be like nah no thanks don't need your e-mail.

You don't want to get too close to Livo anyway, lest you get your nuts busted.     :lol:

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #12: April 26, 2011, 01:20:04 PM »
The 22nd round seems to be lucky for pitchers going from project arms to top prospects in a hurry. Wasn't Tommy Hanson a 22nd rounder and I think there is another good young starter that was as well.

EDIT: It is Jaime Garcia also drafted in the 22 round of the 2005 draft. Logan Morrison was also drafted in the 22nd round that year, but is an outfielder.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #13: April 26, 2011, 01:23:06 PM »
You don't want to get too close to Livo anyway, lest you get your nuts busted.     :lol:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #14: April 26, 2011, 01:33:04 PM »

haha

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #15: April 26, 2011, 02:26:47 PM »
Good work, SF.

Should be a fun chat!

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #16: May 04, 2011, 01:19:49 PM »
Selik promoted to Potomac :whip:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #17: May 04, 2011, 01:20:38 PM »
Selik promoted to Potomac :whip:

that's awesome.  now harper to AA/Harrisburg ... Martin cut, Meyers and Peacock to AAA.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #18: May 04, 2011, 01:26:21 PM »
that's awesome.  now harper to AA/Harrisburg ... Martin cut, Meyers and Peacock to AAA.

There's about 30 pitchers I'd cut before J.D. Martin.

You sure can't stand that guy, though. :)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #19: May 04, 2011, 01:30:11 PM »
There's about 30 pitchers I'd cut before J.D. Martin.

You sure can't stand that guy, though. :)

name 'em.  what has he done to warrant opportunities.  obviously i'd cut mock before him (but he's on the DL).

and meyers/peacock should have a rotation spot over both.

but again, congrats to selik. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #20: May 04, 2011, 01:41:09 PM »
name 'em.  what has he done to warrant opportunities.  obviously i'd cut mock before him (but he's on the DL).

and meyers/peacock should have a rotation spot over both.

but again, congrats to selik. 

I'm not going to sit here and name 30 pitchers I'd cut over him.

You have an irrational hate for him. I don't think you would deny that.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #21: May 04, 2011, 01:53:44 PM »
I'm not going to sit here and name 30 pitchers I'd cut over him.

You have an irrational hate for him. I don't think you would deny that.

haha i don't hate the guy.  i just clearly don't think he's a good pitcher and don't think he should have a place in the organization.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #22: May 04, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »
haha i don't hate the guy.  i just clearly don't think he's a good pitcher and don't think he should have a place in the organization.

He shouldn't, and there is no way there are 30 pitchers more deserving of being cut. With around 13 pitchers a level that is 2 1/4 levels worth of pitchers being cut. J.D. Martin is just as bad as Mock, Atalino, and Martis. The only place they should have in an organization is to job to other teams top prospects.

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #23: May 04, 2011, 02:57:16 PM »
Jeez, that's pretty harsh lol. All 4 guys had success in the Majors sporadically which is more than most Minor Leaguers will ever get to say.

But yeah I agree, at this point they are wasting roster spots in the Minors.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #24: May 04, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »
Jeez, that's pretty harsh lol. All 4 guys had success in the Majors sporadically which is more than most Minor Leaguers will ever get to say.

But yeah I agree, at this point they are wasting roster spots in the Minors.
They are, by definition, replacement players.  There's value in that.  Martin in particular can probably give you multiple starts for an extended period in the majors with an ERA somewhere from 4.5 to 5.2.  You don't let a guy  like that hinder the development of a better prospect, but he can be useeful to the team for fill in starts at the MLB level.  If we need another 12 starters this, Martin would be useful.