Author Topic: Follow the Prospects Master Thread  (Read 109701 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Follow the Prospects Master Thread
« Reply #150: August 14, 2013, 02:27:02 PM »
Check out Travis Ott. 

Just turned 18 on 6/29

Today:  5 IP 3 hits 1 run 0 bb  7 Ks

He's on the incredible GCL team.

Odd. You don't see guys drafted out of HS in the 25th round sign very often. Wonder why he slipped so far.

Shippensburg High School pitcher Travis Ott will get the opportunity to play professional baseball after all.

With the final pick of the 25th round on Saturday, the Washington Nationals drafted the Hounds' hot-armed lefty.

Before becoming the 766th overall pick in the 2013 MLB Draft, Ott finished his senior campaign with a 5-2 mark with a 1.82 ERA. He also struck out a school record 112, just shy of two strikeouts per innings pitched.

En route came a perfect game against Greencastle-Antrim, a no-hitter against Red Lion and a one-hit, 17-strikeout performance against Big Spring.

Ott worked out for the Nationals on Monday, impressing the scouts with a first-pitch fastball that hit 89 mph, according to Greyhounds skipper Dan Watkins. Ott later topped out in the low-90s, enough to satisfy Washington officials.

“He's very deserving of it and he did what they wanted to see,” said Watkins.

“Some had questioned his velocity but his first pitch at the workout was 89. They needed to see that he was an upper-80's kid. What he's done for us is just tremendous. He was never a kid that wanted to go to college, so this was really the route that needed to happen for him. I'm happy that he's going to get that chance.”

Epler on Twitter: @threejacker

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #151: August 14, 2013, 02:47:07 PM »
crap that's just a few miles down 81 from me.  I dont read much local news but I've never heard of him.  I hope he excels. 

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #152: August 16, 2013, 09:15:47 PM »
anyone want to start an austin voth thread?
I would, but I don't know how.

Tonight so far:  6 IP  5 hits  1 run  1  bb   11  Ks

This kid seems to be a badass.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #153: August 17, 2013, 12:05:15 PM »
Mr Clean - take a look at the first post of this thread.  If  you don't feel comfortable posting photos or videos, that's OK. I don't either. 

If you could pull together the basic bio details (age, position, handedness, previous team (HS, juco, college,independent, international, round drafted), add a link to his MiLB stats page, and maybe check some of the scouting or prospect sources for evaluations (Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, Fangraphs, John Sickels are a few), that is enough.  If you have seen the guy, write your opinion, too.  Finally, maybe do a google of his name to see if there are hometown write ups or local paper coverage in the recent past or around the time he was drafted, and throw in a link.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #154: August 17, 2013, 01:56:38 PM »
Mr Clean - take a look at the first post of this thread.  If  you don't feel comfortable posting photos or videos, that's OK. I don't either. 

If you could pull together the basic bio details (age, position, handedness, previous team (HS, juco, college,independent, international, round drafted), add a link to his MiLB stats page, and maybe check some of the scouting or prospect sources for evaluations (Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, Fangraphs, John Sickels are a few), that is enough.  If you have seen the guy, write your opinion, too.  Finally, maybe do a google of his name to see if there are hometown write ups or local paper coverage in the recent past or around the time he was drafted, and throw in a link.

I'll take care of it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #155: August 17, 2013, 07:09:21 PM »
Thanks.  I'm going to copy some of the posts in this thread and cross-post them to the Voth thread so that Linty's post stays first.  Thanks Mr. Clean for spotting him.

Offline Mr Clean

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157: August 23, 2013, 11:11:57 AM »
updated first post to add Voth and Bacus to the master list.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #158: August 28, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »
Ben Grisz is now with Auburn. Anyone know where he has been for two years?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159: December 03, 2013, 09:48:35 AM »
Got to do some clean up on the master list to reflect guys who have been released or are minor league free agents.  Chris Marrero and the like.  Anyone else?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160: December 11, 2013, 08:50:20 AM »
Probably could use an Aaron Barrett thread.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #161: April 09, 2014, 09:32:07 PM »
Probably could use an Aaron Barrett thread.

Never mind.

But Bryan Harper has given up 1 hit in a couple of scoreless innings for Potomac.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #162: April 10, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »
Can't find a way to post to the Christian Garcia thread. He's at AAA, so he's back to a prospect. So far, three on-inning relief appearances. No runs, one hit, and three strikeouts. I don;t know how hard he's throwing, but if he's got his 2012 arm back, he could help the Nats. (I have some blind instinct that dislikes a pitcher who breaks his hand punching hard things.)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163: April 10, 2014, 03:46:52 PM »
Can't find a way to post to the Christian Garcia thread. He's at AAA, so he's back to a prospect. So far, three on-inning relief appearances. No runs, one hit, and three strikeouts. I don;t know how hard he's throwing, but if he's got his 2012 arm back, he could help the Nats. (I have some blind instinct that dislikes a pitcher who breaks his hand punching hard things.)
Unlocked.  Will split and merge your quoted post.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #164: April 14, 2014, 12:24:27 AM »
Meanwhile, Christian Garcia has throw in 4 games, pitched 5 scoreless innings no earned runs, two hits, two walks=, and five K's. WHIP = .80.

Either Garcia is playing with magic, or his arm is back. He was briliant at the end of 2012...if he keeps it up, I'd want Garcia, rather than Barrett or Teinen on the Nats. Or shuttle them: whichever pitched last takes a rest. Use Syracuse as part of the bullpen.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #165: April 14, 2014, 12:28:14 AM »
Garcia is good when healthy and terrible at staying healthy- his good innings shouldn't be wasted in the minors

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #166: April 16, 2014, 06:10:10 PM »
Anybody know anything about Karsten Whitson.  I was looking at the 2010 draft.  This guy got drafted 9th and was offered 2.1M and turned it down to go to college to get paid $0.  Apparently we drafted him in the 37th round of the 2013 draft lol. 

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #167: April 16, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »
Anybody know anything about Karsten Whitson.  I was looking at the 2010 draft.  This guy got drafted 9th and was offered 2.1M and turned it down to go to college to get paid $0.  Apparently we drafted him in the 37th round of the 2013 draft lol. 

ah nvm looks like he is still in college.  I guess if you turn down getting picked 9th I can see turning down the 37th round as well.  LOL @ that poor guy tho. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #168: May 06, 2014, 08:20:36 AM »
i'm creating one for Wilmer Difo

Offline Salamander Man

« Reply #169: May 08, 2014, 11:41:17 AM »
I think someone (I will if need be) should create an Estarlin Martinez thread. 

Offline imref

« Reply #170: May 26, 2014, 10:36:33 PM »
can we unlock the Taylor Jordan thread?

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen

Offline imref

« Reply #172: May 31, 2014, 10:56:20 PM »
adding shawn pleffner

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #173: June 05, 2014, 09:10:01 PM »
i'll update the list this weekend.

As for Fedde and the draftees, if you want to start an FTP before they sign, then I'll just not it in italics on the master list.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #174: June 05, 2014, 09:13:37 PM »
i'll update the list this weekend.

As for Fedde and the draftees, if you want to start an FTP before they sign, then I'll just not it in italics on the master list.

These guys signing has been de-risked quite a bit with the slotting system.