Author Topic: CAPS Week 5 - Oct 30 - Nov 4  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
CAPS Week 5 - Oct 30 - Nov 4
« Topic Start: October 30, 2006, 02:46:07 AM »
This Thread Dedicated to the Following Games
OCT 30 @ Calgary Flames; 9PM EST[/b]
NOV 3 vs. Atlanta Thrashers; 7PM EST at Verizon Center[/b]
NOV 4 @ Philadelphia Flyers; 7PM EST

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #1: October 30, 2006, 02:49:29 PM »
Oct. 30 vs. Calgary Flames at Pengrowth Saddledome
Time: 9:00 pm
TV: Comcast SportsNet
Radio: SportsTalk 980 AM
LINK: http://www.washingtoncaps.com/news/news.asp?story_id=4272

Washington Capitals (3-3-4)
Calgary Flames  (3-5-1)

Matchup
The Capitals conclude their longest road trip of the season on Monday night against the Flames in Calgary, playing their fourth game in six nights. Washington is 1-1-1 on the current trip to date, and is 1-1-2 against Northwest Division foes this season. After Monday?s game in Calgary, the Caps will not leave the Eastern time zone for the remainder of the 2006-07 season.
After winning in Colorado on Wednesday and taking a point in a shootout loss to Vancouver on Friday, the Capitals suffered a 4-0 shutout to the Oilers and Dwayne Roloson in Edmonton on Saturday.
Caps coach Glen Hanlon tried to jolt the road-weary Caps with a few lineup changes on Saturday, hoping fresh legs would help combat the natural sluggishness that goes with playing three games in four nights, and changing time zones for each one.

?I thought they all played well,? he said when asked to assess the play of Bryan Muir, Brooks Laich and Boyd Gordon after Saturday?s loss. ?We?re never happy with losing a hockey game. But it?s almost a better feeling tonight than it was for the point that we took in Vancouver. This is a long process and I think we?re farther ahead tonight than we were [Friday night].?

The reason Hanlon felt better after Saturday?s loss is that the Capitals actually played better in many areas against Edmonton than they had in Vancouver. Washington limited Edmonton to 28 shots on goal, the second fewest it has permitted in any game this season. During one stretch of 8:55 and another of 10:21, the Caps held Edmonton without a shot on goal. In each of their two prior outings, the Caps struggled mightily to clear their own zone and break the puck out efficiently.

?To come into the rink here and have stretches of 10-12 minutes and not give up shots, is an accomplishment,? said Hanlon. ?But we?re talking about achievement here now, and we want to win.?

Washington?s goaltending has been extremely good lately. Both Olie Kolzig (.910 save pct. this season) and Brent Johnson (.926) have given the Capitals a chance to win virtually every game this season. Kolzig had to make more than 40 saves in each of the first two games of the trip to enable Washington to collect three points.

?One thing we wanted to focus on was not letting them have 40 shots or whatever they?ve had the last two games,? said defenseman Ben Clymer. ?So it was good from the standpoint that we were able to limit their shots. But obviously we didn?t win the game and we let four in. It was a frustrating game.?

Although the Capitals were blanked for the first time this season in Edmonton, they went into that contest tied for fourth in the league in goals per game. Washington?s power play has been effective of late (5-for-18 in last five games, 26.3%), but the Caps haven?t had many manpower advantages, mainly because they?ve been playing too much in their own end and without the puck.

?It felt like we had a better effort than [Friday], when we came away with a point,? said center Brian Sutherby after the Edmonton game. ?I thought we did some things better and maybe deserved a little bit better fate. But there are definitely still some things we have to clean up and things we have to do to become a better hockey club. We?ll work on those things and get better for Monday.?

Washington has clicked on 16.7% of its manpower advantages this season, the 15th best rate in the league. The Capitals rank 23rd in the league in penalty killing with a kill rate of 80.3%.

Calgary is 1-3-1 in its last five games and is bringing up the rear of the Northwest Division. The Flames struggled offensively in the early going this season, netting just five goals in their first four games. Calgary opened things up a bit after that, pouring home 16 goals in its next four games.

The Flames are in the midst of a span in which they play five times in eight nights. Calgary is 2-2 at home this season, and is coming off a 3-2 home ice loss to the Nashville Predators on Saturday night.

The Caps won their last visit to Calgary, a 4-1 win on Mar. 20, 2003, and are unbeaten in their last six games against the Flames (4-0-2) overall. Calgary?s last win over the Caps came at MCI Center on Mar. 13, 1999. The Flames took a 5-4 overtime decision that night, scoring twice in the final 1:30 of regulation and taking home two points on Valeri Bure?s game-winner in the extra session.

Going into Sunday?s NHL action, the Flames ranked 24th in the NHL in power play prowess with a 12.3% success rate. Calgary has clicked on six of 24 (25%) power play tries in its last four games. The Flames rank 20th in the league in penalty killing efficiency with a kill rate of 81.4%

Notes: Calgary defenseman Dion Phaneuf, a runner-up to Alex Ovechkin for the 2005-06 Calder Trophy, missed Saturday?s game with Nashville because of the flu. It?s the first game Phaneuf has missed in the NHL; he was one of four Flames to play in all 82 games last season ? Flames goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff is the only netminder in the league who has played all of his team?s minutes in goal thus far this season ? Former Cap and current Flames left wing Jeff Friesen is without a goal in his last 25 games.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #2: October 30, 2006, 04:09:31 PM »
All of the games this week are winnable.
I expect wins against ATL and Calgary, or maybe Philly. They always beat us there, but they're playing so bad I hope we can own them.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #3: October 30, 2006, 05:29:28 PM »
I won't be able to watch the game tonight against Calgary.  I'm at work...but I'll be following on gameday from my desk.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #4: October 30, 2006, 10:17:54 PM »
Zubrus is a good egg  :D

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #5: October 30, 2006, 10:22:35 PM »
How 'bout those Caps?

No really, because I have no idea about hockey.  Are they doing well in their division?

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #6: October 30, 2006, 10:26:43 PM »
Quote from: "2k6nats"
How 'bout those Caps?

No really, because I have no idea about hockey.  Are they doing well in their division?
Then get with the program and start watching!   :D

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #7: October 30, 2006, 10:33:29 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
How 'bout those Caps?

Then get with the program and start watching!   :D
Well, I looked on the website, and the Caps are fourth of five in their division @ 3-3, have scored ten points, and are 3 1/2 games out of first.

w00t!  :lol:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #8: October 30, 2006, 10:34:30 PM »
Well, I looked on the website, and the Caps are fourth of five in their division @ 3-3, have scored ten points, and are 3 1/2 games out of first.

They are on Comcast Sports Net right now against the Flames...tune in and enjoy!   8)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #9: October 30, 2006, 10:36:23 PM »

They are on Comcast Sports Net right now against the Flames...tune in and enjoy!   8)
Hey Sens that's not fair.........don't make me feel bad because I don't get SportsNet  :oops:  :lol:

I do get Comcast though.....

• babble on
« Reply #10: October 30, 2006, 10:58:30 PM »
they are more interesting than their record suggests...hard-working, hustling, well-orchestrated journeymen, PLUS the incredible phenom Ovechkin, the wily vet netminder Olie, and the hell-goon Brashear.  Well worth following this year (though Leonsis jacked up prices this year for single-game tickets, not that that matters if you are watching from Vermont!).

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #11: October 30, 2006, 11:36:33 PM »

Hey Sens that's not fair.........don't make me feel bad because I don't get SportsNet  :oops:  :lol:

I do get Comcast though.....
I forgot you are in Vermont.  Sorry.   :(

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #12: October 30, 2006, 11:42:44 PM »
Great win by the Caps tonight.  Zednik and Zubrus both scored twice.  Ovechkin had a really good game (2 assists and a bunch of hits).  All in all, 5 points on the road trip was a success.

• babble on
« Reply #13: October 30, 2006, 11:43:54 PM »
Caps just beat the Flames - Iginla looked awesome, but Calgary is a shadow of its May 2005 self.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #14: October 30, 2006, 11:45:28 PM »
Fantastic.  Glad we could get a win to make it .500 for the long 4-game road trip.

• babble on
« Reply #15: October 31, 2006, 01:39:43 AM »
I hated seeing the Flames and Oilers lose in Game 7 of the Cup Finals to a) SE Division rivals of the Caps;, b) wanker sunbelt bandwagon teams, and c), teams that will haunt us forever.  That said, good win by the Caps tonight.

Chris Pronger is Enemy #1 in Edmonton - the T.O. of western Canada.  Apparently lots of sordid tales about his departure, but I don't know the details/anyone?

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #16: October 31, 2006, 06:52:05 AM »
So the Caps move to 4-3!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #17: November 01, 2006, 07:27:17 PM »
I stand by my prediction that the Caps will make the playoffs this year.
This team is so improved - PP is 14th, PK is 19th.

About Pronger's departure from Edmonton: his wife didn't like it or something.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #18: November 03, 2006, 12:00:03 AM »
Nov. 3 vs. Atlanta Thrashers at Verizon Center
Time: 7:00 pm
TV: Comcast SportsNet
LINK: http://www.washingtoncaps.com/news/Pregame.asp

Atlanta Thrashers (8-3-3)
Washington Capitals (4-3-4)

Barenaked Ladies to Sing National Anthem at Capitals Game Nov. 3

The multi-platinum band Barenaked Ladies will sing the national anthem prior to the Washington Capitals game on Friday, Nov. 3, against the Atlanta Thrashers at Verizon Center at 7 p.m. The recording artists will be playing at the George Mason Patriot Center on Saturday.

On the heels of a successful Western road trip (2-1-1) and their first October with a record above .500 (4-3-4) since 1997-98, the Washington Capitals host the Southeast Division leading Atlanta Thrashers at Verizon Center on Friday night.

Friday?s game is the third meeting of the season between the Caps and Thrashers. Atlanta won an overtime decision at Verizon on Oct. 14 and took another via the shootout at Philips Arena in Atlanta on Oct. 19. The Capitals are 2-1-2 against Southeast Division opponents this season.

Washington?s most recent outing was a 4-2 victory at Calgary on Monday night, the final game of the four-game trip. The Caps allowed more shots on goal than they managed themselves in every game of the trip, but played well at both ends of the ice against the Flames. It was certainly their best overall performance of the trip.

?I thought we did a pretty good job of limiting their shots to the perimeter,? said Washington goaltender Olie Kolzig, ?and it was a much improved hockey game on our part.?

That triumph in Calgary turned a .500 road trip into a winning road trip. It also gave the Caps their second road win of the season about three weeks ahead of last season?s pace.

?It?s huge,? responded Kolzig when asked about the significance of the trip. ?If we have any ideas of making the playoffs, you have to win on the road. We thought coming out here and being .500 would be a good trip, but we?re a little above that. Now we have to do it at home. We can?t be satisfied with what we did here and go home and lay an egg. We?ve got to go back and play well within our conference.?

Sixty-six of Washington?s last 71 games will be played within the conference, and the Caps still must play 27 games within their division, beginning on Friday against Atlanta. The Caps went 5-3-5 against Southeast foes after last February?s Olympic break, so Washington is 7-4-7 in its last 18 divisional tilts.

In the Caps? previous game against Atlanta on Oct. 19, Washington was unable to convert a third-period lead into a victory. Atlanta?s Marian Hossa tied the game in the final minute of regulation and the Thrashers went on to win in the shootout.

In both of its wins on the road trip, the Caps built and maintained third-period leads.

?What really impressed me is how we played after [Calgary?s Jarome] Iginla got the second goal to make it 3-2,? said Kolzig. ?I think they had one more shot [after the goal] and it was a shot from well outside. That showed me that our team wasn?t panicking. We still had confidence and we stuck to our game.?

Caps coach Glen Hanlon tweaked the team?s forward lines in Calgary and the results were positive. Struggling winger Richard Zednik scored his first two goals of the season, including the game-winner on a breakaway in the third. Zednik was paired with center Boyd Gordon and left wing Donald Brashear. That trio had some strong shifts in the attack zone, and it was his linemates? good work along the walls that led to Zednik's first goal of the game and the season.

?Whenever I can get in on the forecheck, I think that is one of my best assets,? said Gordon after the game. ?Just cycling the puck down low and trying to create havoc, our line did a great job of that tonight.

?Zed is a great player and Brash is strong down low. We kept it simple. We got pucks deep and we made some good plays. Going into it, I was excited and I think we played pretty well.?

Washington ranks 12th in the NHL in power play success with a 17% conversion rate. The Caps? penalty killing corps stands 20th in the NHL with a success rate of 81.8%.

At 8-3-3, the Thrashers are off to the best start in franchise history. Atlanta is seeking its first-ever playoff berth, and has positioned itself well with a strong start. The Thrashers hold a five-point lead over second place Carolina in the Southeast Division standings. Even so, there is a bit of uneasiness in Atlanta.

The Thrashers are coming off a 5-2 home ice loss at the hands of the Hurricanes on Wednesday night. Despite outshooting the Canes 42-18 and having 10 power plays to Carolina?s five, the Thrashers never led in Wednesday?s game.

Atlanta goaltender Kari Lehtonen allowed four goals on just 13 shots, and was pulled in favor of backup Johan Hedberg late in the second period. Lehtonen is now 1-5-1 with a 4.11 goals against average lifetime against the Hurricanes. Carolina goaltender Cam Ward made 40 saves, including 16 on the Thrashers? Marian Hossa. Hossa notched his 500th career point in that game, and also established a franchise mark for most shots on goal in a single contest.

After the game, Atlanta coach Bob Hartley was less than complimentary about Lehtonen?s performance. Hartley has already stated that Hedberg will start Friday?s game against the Capitals in Washington, despite Lehtonen?s unblemished (5-0) lifetime mark against the Caps.

The loss to Carolina dropped the Thrashers to 1-2-2 in their last five. Atlanta has one of the league?s most potent power plays, but the Thrashers are just 2-for-27 (7.4%) with the extra man in those five games.

Atlanta is without No. 1 defenseman Niclas Havelid, who has returned to his native Sweden to help care for his ill mother. Havelid leads the Thrashers in ice time and is 10th in NHL.

Atlanta?s power play is ninth best in the league with a success rate of 18.8%. The Thrashers are also ninth in the NHL in penalty killing with a kill rate of 86.4%.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #19: November 03, 2006, 09:39:53 PM »
FINAL at Verizon Center
Atlanta Thrashers  4
Washington Capitals 3

Thrashers seem to be toying with us.  Three goals in three minutes by Atlanta after leading them 2-0 into the second.   :(

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #20: November 04, 2006, 06:43:04 PM »
Nov. 4 vs. Philadelphia Flyers at Wachovia Center

Time: 7:00 pm
TV: WDCW 50

Washington Capitals (4-4-4)[/b]
Philadelphia Flyers (3-8-1)

The City of Brotherly Love hasn?t had much brotherly love to offer the Washington Capitals in recent seasons. It has been more than eight years since the Caps last claimed a regular season victory in Philly. Washington visits Philadelphia on Saturday night in another attempt to reverse their fortunes against the Flyers.

Washington is seeking its first regular season win in Philadelphia since Jan. 31, 1998 when it took a 3-2 decision over the Flyers in overtime. Michal Pivonka scored two goals ? including the game-winner ? and Bill Ranford was the winning netminder for the Caps in that one. Since that day, the Caps are 0-15-1 and have been outscored 64-27 in Philadelphia.

The Capitals visited Wachovia Center in the preseason, and trounced the Flyers by a 6-1 count.

The Caps come into Philadelphia on the heels of a disappointing 4-3 setback to the Atlanta Thrashers on Friday night. Washington squandered a 2-0 second period lead, and in doing so squandered an opportunity to gain ground on the Southeast Division-leading Thrashers.

On bright spot in Friday night?s loss was Dainius Zubrus?s continued strong performance. Zubrus, who was the Flyers? first-round draft choice in 1996, netted two goals to run his season total to a team-leading nine. Dating back to last season, Zubrus has 19 goals and 42 points in his last 40 games.

Capitals captain Chris Clark netted the team?s first shorthanded goal of the season in the second period of Friday?s game. Washington penalty killers stifled the Thrashers power play on Friday. The Caps have killed off 38 of 44 (86.4%) opposing power plays in the last six games while connecting on seven of 28 (25%) power plays of their own.

The Capitals? power play unit ranked 11th in the NHL going into Friday night?s NHL games with a 17% success rate.

The Flyers came into this season with a string of 11 straight playoff appearances, three straight 100-point seasons and 10 consecutive campaigns of 93 or more points. But Philadelphia has struggled significantly in the early going of the 2006-07 season. With only seven points in its first dozen games, the Flyers may be headed for their first playoff miss since 1993-94.

Simply put, the Flyers are poorly constructed for the post-lockout NHL. Deposed general manager Bob Clarke bestowed too many big dollar, multi-year contracts on too many hulking but slow-footed players, the kind of players the team won consecutive Cups with some three decades ago. Time marched on; the Flyers did not. A complete rebuild is in order, but some seem to feel the season is still salvageable.

The Flyers fired head coach Ken Hitchcock and longtime GM Clarke resigned. Philadelphia was 1-6-1 at the time of those moves. The Flyers are 2-2 since, with one win coming via the shootout and one loss coming via the blowout.

Most recently, the Flyers suffered a 5-2 home ice loss at the hands of the Tampa Bay Lightning on Thursday. Forwards Jeff Carter and Randy Robitaille were injured in that game, and their respective statuses are unknown for Saturday?s game against Washington. The Flyers recalled journeyman forward Eric Meloche from the Philadelphia Phantoms of the AHL on Friday.

Robert Esche is expected to get the start in goal for the Flyers on Saturday. Esche?s last start was a 3-0 whitewash of the Chicago Blackhawks on Monday.

Heading into Friday night?s NHL activity, the Flyers had the league?s worst power play with a success rate of just 8.1%. Philadelphia is ninth in the NHL in penalty killing with a kill rate of 86.9%

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #21: November 04, 2006, 06:44:58 PM »
We should WIN.  Flyers are having all sorts of issues.  :pray:

• babble on
« Reply #22: November 04, 2006, 07:59:55 PM »

Didn't they just can Hitchcock last week?  God I hate the Flyers, but not half as much as I hate their fans.  Broad Street buboes.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #23: November 04, 2006, 08:32:01 PM »
Quote from: "Ali the Baseball Cat"

Didn't they just can Hitchcock last week?  God I hate the Flyers, but not half as much as I hate their fans.  Broad Street buboes.
Don't forget most of them are Phillie fans... so it only goes to reason.   :roll:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #24: November 04, 2006, 09:49:01 PM »
FINAL IN PHILADELPHIA
Washington Capitals [/b] 5
Philadelphia Flyers 3

Alex Ovechkin and Ben Clymer scored twice each to support Brent Johnson's 33-save effort in the Washington nets as the Caps downed the Flyers 5-3 in Philadelphia on Saturday night. The victory ended a 16-game drought for the Caps in Philly; Washington's most recent previous win there came on Jan. 31, 1998.

Brent Johnson is going to do just fine when Olaf finally decides to hang up his skates.  There was lots of booing at Wachovia Center.  In Phillie?   :shock:   Say it isn't so!   :lol: