16 (13.4%)
One of the best in MLB
45 (37.8%)
I'm a moran and I don't like Charlie and Dave
4 (3.4%)
They're just ok
9 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler  (Read 51758 times)

Offline houston-nat

Re: Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler
« Reply #375: April 30, 2016, 10:34:11 AM »
FanGraphs is doing their crowdsourced broadcaster ratings. Go vote on Charlie and Dave!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #376: June 07, 2016, 12:50:40 PM »
FanGraphs is doing their crowdsourced broadcaster ratings. Go vote on Charlie and Dave!
Charlie and Dave made the top ten! The full top ten rankings will be published tomorrow, so we can find out what the exact order is.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #377: June 07, 2016, 03:00:50 PM »
Charlie and Dave made the top ten! The full top ten rankings will be published tomorrow, so we can find out what the exact order is.
what were they thinking?  Where were they going?

Offline Truconfidence

« Reply #378: June 07, 2016, 04:18:14 PM »
The summoner bit is top 3 alone.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #379: June 09, 2016, 03:34:18 PM »
#5! Overall fan grade of 4.5 out of 5.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-broadcaster-rankings-radio-10-1/

"One respondent suggests that Slowes and Jageler are “better than the sum of the parts” — which is both (a) probably a function of chemistry and, it would seem, (b) a property shared by most of the broadcast teams occupying these top five or six slots."

N.B. The "Representative Reader Comment" is me.

5. Charlie and Dave
4. Bob Uecker
3. Mets
2. Jon Miller and Giants
1. Eric Nadel in Rangers

That is elite, elite company.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #380: June 09, 2016, 05:36:59 PM »
#5! Overall fan grade of 4.5 out of 5.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-broadcaster-rankings-radio-10-1/

"One respondent suggests that Slowes and Jageler are “better than the sum of the parts” — which is both (a) probably a function of chemistry and, it would seem, (b) a property shared by most of the broadcast teams occupying these top five or six slots."

N.B. The "Representative Reader Comment" is me.

5. Charlie and Dave
4. Bob Uecker
3. Mets
2. Jon Miller and Giants
1. Eric Nadel in Rangers

That is elite, elite company.

Were the Yankees the worst?  Should be...

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #382: June 09, 2016, 06:18:23 PM »
Yes: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2016-broadcaster-rankings-radio-30-21/

:hysterical:  I listened to parts of one game before I had XM a few years ago...just awful...

Offline Ray D

« Reply #383: June 09, 2016, 07:11:07 PM »
I suppose those who hate the Yankee announcers, it's mostly Sterling.  Not that I like him, but it's that cow of a woman that I can't stand. Everytime she speaks I think of Hillary.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #384: June 09, 2016, 07:18:20 PM »
I suppose those who hate the Yankee announcers, it's mostly Sterling.  Not that I like him, but it's that cow of a woman that I can't stand. Everytime she speaks I think of Hillary.

Oh, she's clearly the worst of the two...

Offline RiotAct

« Reply #385: June 09, 2016, 10:07:22 PM »
Saw that Fangraphs ranked the TV announcers as well, and Bob/FP are ranked #26.  Sounds about right.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #386: June 09, 2016, 10:09:22 PM »
Saw that Fangraphs ranked the TV announcers as well, and Bob/FP are ranked #26. 
There are actually four that are worse?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #387: June 09, 2016, 10:12:00 PM »
There are actually four that are worse?
five

27. Washington (notice 27 not 26)
28. Colorado
29. Cincinnati
30. Atlanta
31. Philadelphia
32. Chicago White Sox away crew (Hawk Harrelson)

There are 32 because the White Sox and Dodgers have different home/road crews.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #388: January 13, 2018, 07:08:20 PM »
Charlie Slowes will be filling in for John Walton on the Caps radio broadcast on Thursday, February 22 when the Caps take on the Panthers.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #389: January 15, 2018, 12:05:21 PM »
Charlie Slowes will be filling in for John Walton on the Caps radio broadcast on Thursday, February 22 when the Caps take on the Panthers.
I can't listen to hockey on radio. I've tried.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #390: January 15, 2018, 02:28:24 PM »

Agreed...it just isn't meant for radio...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
« Reply #391: January 15, 2018, 03:06:23 PM »
Agreed...it just isn't meant for radio...

It’s barely meant for TV. The in stadium product runs circles around the televised one. Almost the exact opposite of the NFL.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #392: January 15, 2018, 03:13:01 PM »

If I can remember, I'm gonna listen to it.    I like Slowes but I remember how excited I got when Frank Herzog was gonna do a Nats' game.    It wasn't what I expected.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #393: January 15, 2018, 03:48:45 PM »
I remember how excited I got when Frank Herzog was gonna do a Nats' game.    It wasn't what I expected.
When was that?   Herzog was great doing Bullets games, and he was fine doing the Redskins.  But I wouldn't have expected him to be any good doing baseball.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #394: January 15, 2018, 03:51:02 PM »
When was that?   Herzog was great doing Bullets games, and he was fine doing the Redskins.  But I wouldn't have expected him to be any good doing baseball.

Herzog was at his best with the Bullets.    If my memory is correct, he was holding place back at RFK.    It was a substitute gig.    Baseball wasn't his thing.

UPDATE:    I've been googlin' like crazy to find if this may be a mindfact.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #395: January 16, 2018, 09:43:01 AM »

I didn't really follow the Caps much till I tuned into Ron Weber's radio broadcasts in 1981, and I've been hooked on radio hockey ever since. You get a pretty good account of what's going on (even if neither of Weber's successors is quite in Weber's league in that area) and you don't have to put up with Pierre Maguire, Miltown Milbury and the rest of those lot.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #396: January 16, 2018, 10:03:24 AM »
I didn't really follow the Caps much till I tuned into Ron Weber's radio broadcasts in 1981, and I've been hooked on radio hockey ever since. You get a pretty good account of what's going on (even if neither of Weber's successors is quite in Weber's league in that area) and you don't have to put up with Pierre Maguire, Miltown Milbury and the rest of those lot.
Ron Weber was a great announcer. He used to do other sports on radio in Philly when I grew up. Gene Hart who did the Flyers games on radio and tv was the best IMHO. Emrick is good also.

For the first few years the Flyers games were rarely on tv and only the third period was on the radio. I used to pick up the Bruins games on WBZ while waiting for the Flyers to come on. The Bruins radio guy was good also. Maybe JCA recalls his name?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #397: January 16, 2018, 11:35:33 AM »
Ron Weber was a great announcer. He used to do other sports on radio in Philly when I grew up. Gene Hart who did the Flyers games on radio and tv was the best IMHO. Emrick is good also.

For the first few years the Flyers games were rarely on tv and only the third period was on the radio. I used to pick up the Bruins games on WBZ while waiting for the Flyers to come on. The Bruins radio guy was good also. Maybe JCA recalls his name?
I never listened to the Bs on the radio, and I rarely watched them on TV by the mid-70s. Fred Cusick and Johnny Pierson were the TV guys, and I think before Cusick it was Don Earle. Cusick may have moved back and forth to radio and TV over the years.  Cusick was the main voice.  Later on, it was Dale Arnold and a few others. 

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #398: January 16, 2018, 11:36:54 AM »
I never listened to the Bs on the radio, and I rarely watched them on TV by the mid-70s. Fred Cusick and Johnny Pierson were the TV guys, and I think before Cusick it was Don Earle. Cusick may have moved back and forth to radio and TV over the years.  Cusick was the main voice.  Later on, it was Dale Arnold and a few others.
I think it was Kusick. More the late 60s. Never liked Don Earle much when he joined the Flyers TV.