Author Topic: Morgan - "... it feels good to be in a baseball city"  (Read 5443 times)

Offline EdStroud

Nyjer go boom off Hanrahan and on to the path.  On the way off the field notice he makes sure to not touch the chalk lines.

[signal]tomterp[/signal]

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday

Funnily enough, I feel like Ankiel is always getting clutch hits.

He is, he's walking more than he has in the past, and his defense is above his past level.  He probably won't continue like that.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Nyjer go boom off Hanrahan and on to the path.  On the way off the field notice he makes sure to not touch the chalk lines.

[signal]tomterp[/signal]

I fear no chalk lines.  Not only that, I will step on cracks in the sidewalk.  Worst of all, I will say "no-hitter no-hitter no-hitter" even when there seems to be one in progress.    :twisted:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
He is

In what way?

RISP -
0-10, .000/.167/.000/.167

Runner on 3rd less than 2 outs -
0-3, .000/.000/.000

High Leverage situations -
1-11, .091/.167/.091/.258

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I more meant that he's been a sparkplug, not so much a finisher.

Offline NatsDad14

I more meant that he's been a sparkplug, not so much a finisher.
If a person sucks we have to rationalize their existence. For a bad hitter we say he is a clutch hitter or a good defensive player no matter what his actual skill level is on those things. With Backup catchers, they can't hit so we assume they play good defense (Wil Nieves). For all around bad players, we say they are a good guy to rationalize their existence (Nieves, AlGo, Stairs)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
I'm not rationalizing anything, he's had several timely hits.  Basically, out of all the guys with terrible lines on our roster right now, he's the last one I'd complain about right now.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
If a person sucks we have to rationalize their existence. For a bad hitter we say he is a clutch hitter or a good defensive player no matter what his actual skill level is on those things. With Backup catchers, they can't hit so we assume they play good defense (Wil Nieves). For all around bad players, we say they are a good guy to rationalize their existence (Nieves, AlGo, Stairs)

In football they say a player has a "great motor".

Offline NatsDad14

In football they say a player has a "great motor".
That's usually a code word for a white athlete.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
That's usually a code word for a white athlete.

Exactly. Especially if he plays defense line.  :lmao:

Offline ProudNationalsFan

Nyjer Morgan was interesting to watch. And at first, he was REALLY good. Great set-up man, had speed, I was real excited when he came over from Pittsburgh. Im not going to defend the things that he did to embarrass our club, but he WAS interesting to watch. You have to admit, there will NEVER be another Nyjer Morgan!

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Nyjer Morgan was interesting to watch. And at first, he was REALLY good. Great set-up man, had speed, I was real excited when he came over from Pittsburgh. Im not going to defend the things that he did to embarrass our club, but he WAS interesting to watch. You have to admit, there will NEVER be another Nyjer Morgan!

I think we all wish 2009 Nyjer Morgan could have lasted forever.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
How does it feel to get swept in a real baseball city, Plush?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=13667

Nyjer Morgan, Enigma
by John Perrotto, Baseball Prospectus

Before a recent game, Nyjer Morgan spotted a reporter he had known since his days playing in the short-season New York-Penn League and broke into a big grin.

"Big John Studd!" the outfielder exclaimed, before putting a big bear hug on the scribe in the middle of the Brewers' clubhouse.

Now, my name is John, and I am a big fellow. I've never been a professional wrestler, though, and I'll let other decide if I'm a stud. However, it isn't every day that a ballplayer gives a big squeeze to a reporter, and Morgan's teammates seemed equally amused and befuddled by the action.

It's an example of what makes Morgan as hard to decipher as any player in baseball. Those who love him say he is a great teammate and one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. Those who hate him claim he might be the dirtiest player in the major leagues, and isn't always such a great teammate.

So, who exactly is the real Nyjer Morgan? He just smiled when asked that question.

"I'm not going there, no, no, no, no," he said. "You know me. You answer that question. You write that story."

Morgan's Brewers teammates are still in the process of getting to know him after he was acquired in a trade from the Nationals during the last week of spring training. However, his first impression has been a good one: he has hit .454/.444/.727, albeit in the small sample of 27 plate appearances, and charmed his new teammates.

"He's a good dude," Brewers first baseman Prince Fielder said. "We have a really good clubhouse. We have guys who really like each other and get along. He has fit right in with us. He's always happy, always in a good mood. Everyone here likes him."

That apparently wasn't the case with the Nationals. At the time of the trade, they said the deal was made to clear a spot in the starting lineup for Rick Ankiel. Morgan had a poor 2010, as his TAv was a paltry .235 in 577 plate appearances and he contributed just 0.9 WARP. However, it would be a reach to find anyone in baseball—including Dayton Moore—who thinks Ankiel is still an everyday player, let alone a center fielder.

In fact, the Nationals are now looking to trade for a center fielder less than a month into the season, which makes the Morgan trade all the more curious on the surface. Below the surface, there was trouble brewing in the Nationals' clubhouse this spring. Jayson Werth was signed to a seven-year, $126 million contract as a free agent over the winter to not only play right field but become the team leader.

Werth, a no-nonsense type, didn't like Morgan from the outset. Morgan's outgoing style clashed with what Werth had become used to in the buttoned-down Phillies clubhouse during the previous four seasons.

The tension finally boiled over during the Grapefruit League season when Morgan did not run the prescribed number of wind sprints after coming out of a game. Werth confronted Morgan about it in the clubhouse, and a shouting match ensued.

Morgan believes that his angering Werth led the Nationals to trade him, but declined the chance to elaborate on the incident. "There's no point in rehashing anything," he said. "I've moved on. I’m with the Brewers now. I'm with a good club, playing with a bunch of good guys who get along. This is the first time in my career that I've been on a team that has a legitimate chance to do some things, and I'm very excited about that."

Morgan's playing time has been limited with the Brewers. He has primarily played right field, where the Brewers have been using Morgan, Mark Kotsay, and Erick Almonte to fill in while Corey Hurt (oblique) has been on the disabled list. However, the move to acquire Morgan seemed most motivated to give the Brewers insurance in the event that the inconsistent Carlos Gomez is unable to handle being the regular center fielder.

First-year manager Ron Roenicke wants the Brewers to be a more aggressive team on the bases, after two seasons playing a station-to-station type game under Ken Macha. Roenicke believes Morgan can be a big part of that style, whether starting or coming off the bench.

"He's got outstanding speed and he knows how to use it on the bases," Roenicke said. "He's a real threat every time he gets on to make something happen. He brought everything to us so far, though. He's played great defense and he's been getting big hits for us. He's going to help us in a lot of ways."

It is on the bases where Morgan has primarily developed his reputation for being a dirty player. He plowed over catchers Bryan Anderson of the Cardinals and Brett Hayes of the Marlins in the span of five days late last season. Nationals manager Jim Riggleman called the August 28 incident with Anderson "unprofessional" after Morgan left Hayes with a separated shoulder.

Morgan, who spent four years as a junior hockey player in western Canada before switching to baseball, does not apologize for his style, saying, "I play the game hard and that's never going to change." In fact, Morgan plowed over Pirates catcher Ryan Doumit, a former teammate, in a game last week, knocking the ball out of his mitt and scoring a run. The play left Morgan with a deep thigh bruise and his close friend, Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen, looking on with mixed emotions.

"The thing about Nyjer is, if he's on your team, then you love him, but it you're playing against him, you hate him," McCutchen said with a smile.

Offline ProudNationalsFan

Hey Todd Coffey, you have a new mission. Bean him. I doubt the pansey will have the guts to charge the mound.

rofl

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Quote from: NYJER
I haven't been on a three-game winning streak in about two years now

Neither had the rest of us, until we rolled over your team.

Offline Obed_Marsh

What's with the avatar? The guy is long gone.