Author Topic: The Oliver Perez Comeback Attempt Diary  (Read 4041 times)

Offline houston-nat

The Oliver Perez Comeback Attempt Diary
« Topic Start: April 04, 2011, 01:36:41 PM »
From Adam Kilgore:

Oliver Perez, whom the Nationals signed to a minor-league deal after the Mets released him, will remain in Florida and work with Nationals pitching coordinator Spin Williams, his one-time pitching coach in Pittsburgh, on mechanical changes. “He’s in a good place,” Harris said. “He’s been great. His attitude has been wonderful. He’s eager to learn and change.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/nationals-minor-league-updates-robbie-ray-aj-cole-oliver-perez-sammy-solis-rosters-etc/2011/04/04/AFjoVZcC_blog.html

Offline hammondsnats

Re: The Oliver Perez Comeback Attempt Journal
« Reply #1: April 04, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »
yeah sounds like they are committed to trying to see if they can turn him around.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: The Oliver Perez Comeback Attempt Diary
« Reply #2: April 04, 2011, 01:38:38 PM »
I think he HATED the Mets, so he's happy to be free.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #3: April 04, 2011, 01:40:33 PM »
It would be quite a story if he can get it turned around. 

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #4: April 04, 2011, 01:41:46 PM »
Until he's in the majors, I don't care.  Reclamation projects just don't work for us... EVER.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #5: April 04, 2011, 02:21:42 PM »
maybe we can bring in fat toad hideki irabu.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #6: April 04, 2011, 06:56:34 PM »
I think Barry Bonds would be a great signing.  He has upside in that he might not go to jail.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #7: April 04, 2011, 06:57:59 PM »
Until he's in the majors, I don't care.  Reclamation projects just don't work for us... EVER.

this.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: April 04, 2011, 09:18:52 PM »
this.

My view is just forget about projects until they are in the majors or get cut

Offline Coladar

« Reply #9: April 05, 2011, 12:47:56 AM »

Dmitri Young, Nyjer Morgan... Those two worked well their first season. Then turned to absolute crap.

Of course, I do not believe we have ever had a successful pitching reclamation project in our history. Well, no, I take that back. We did have Daniel Cabrera. My god, what a success story that one was. Heck, even a non-reclamation turning into a reclamation project hasn't worked out yet. Marquis fits that, was a non-reclamation upon coming here and not is clearly a work in progress. So yeah, we have had next to zero luck. That's on the GM first and center, and there's no excuse for it. How many other teams have had zero success stories from guys at rock bottom over the past six years? It's unacceptable how bad they've been taking a chance at a guys second chance.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #10: April 05, 2011, 04:45:33 AM »
How many other teams have had zero success stories from guys at rock bottom over the past six years? It's unacceptable how bad they've been taking a chance at a guys second chance.

That's kind of hyperventilatory to me. I mean, how many stories are there of guys at rock bottom who bounce back to the top? Colby Lewis, Josh Hamilton, Carlos Pena in 2007, Cliff Lee, maybe some incarnation of Javier Vazquez. The Mets had an entire 25-man roster of guys at the top whom they dropped to rock-bottom. It just doesn't happen very often at all.

At any rate, guys like Dmitri Young, J.D. Martin, and Tyler Clippard weren't exactly total failures and didn't exactly become superstars, but they did return to or achieve major-league serviceability in the Nationals system.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #11: April 05, 2011, 08:02:16 AM »
That's kind of hyperventilatory to me. I mean, how many stories are there of guys at rock bottom who bounce back to the top? Colby Lewis, Josh Hamilton, Carlos Pena in 2007, Cliff Lee, maybe some incarnation of Javier Vazquez. The Mets had an entire 25-man roster of guys at the top whom they dropped to rock-bottom. It just doesn't happen very often at all.

At any rate, guys like Dmitri Young, J.D. Martin, and Tyler Clippard weren't exactly total failures and didn't exactly become superstars, but they did return to or achieve major-league serviceability in the Nationals system.

But you're talking about reclamation guys that jumped up to be the best in baseball, with name recognition across the entire country. That's a best case scenario, sure. My point though was we have simply never had a reclamation project that didn't end in total and abject failure. Dukes, Milledge, Young, Olsen, Morgan, Pena, Cabrera. On and on.

My earlier point wasn't Colby Lewis level players. I just meant we have never had a reclamation project that didn't flash and burn,leading to their inevitable and hasty departure. Surely a vast majority of teams, over the last six seasons, have had sone reclamation project that stuck. By that I mean he could be a bench guy his entire contract. Just a player that doesn't get DFA'ed due to abject failure is a positive when it comes to this. Someone who has mild success, stays on the team for a couple years and leaves as a decent player for FA or trade. The Nats have zero. My belief is most other teams have had just one, at the vert least.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #12: April 05, 2011, 08:16:16 AM »
If you're counting Elijah Dukes and Lastings Milledge, who were in the "prospects hitting unexpectedly low ceilings" phase, as "reclamation projects," then I would definitely feel justified calling Tyler Clippard a "reclamation project." He had hit his ceiling as a 4.90 ERA starting pitcher when we got our hands on him, and was doomed to a career with far less major-league time than Milledge has had since. I'd also feel justified including Michael Morse: two years ago, he was even more of a Future Failure than Milledge. Doug Slaten was picked up off waivers after posting a 7.11 ERA in Arizona.

If you're counting Nyjer Morgan and Wily Mo Pena as reclamation projects, even though we acquired them when they were good, watched them deteriorate, and then got rid of them rather than investing in an actual reclamation phase, then I'd feel justified including Luis Atilano and Ryan Mattheus, whom we grabbed off Tommy John. Heck, if Morgan and Pena count as trying to build something out of scraps, why not toss in Jesus Flores?

So, either your definition of reclamation guys is too broad, or we actually have some. :)

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #13: April 05, 2011, 08:27:59 AM »
Dmitri Young, Nyjer Morgan... Those two worked well their first season. Then turned to absolute crap.

Of course, I do not believe we have ever had a successful pitching reclamation project in our history. Well, no, I take that back. We did have Daniel Cabrera. My god, what a success story that one was. Heck, even a non-reclamation turning into a reclamation project hasn't worked out yet. Marquis fits that, was a non-reclamation upon coming here and not is clearly a work in progress. So yeah, we have had next to zero luck. That's on the GM first and center, and there's no excuse for it. How many other teams have had zero success stories from guys at rock bottom over the past six years? It's unacceptable how bad they've been taking a chance at a guys second chance.
John Patterson
Joel Hanrahan
Tim Redding (for 1 year)
Estaban Loaiza
Hector Carrasco
Dmtri Young (All-Star)

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #14: April 05, 2011, 11:47:30 AM »
John Patterson
Joel Hanrahan
Tim Redding (for 1 year)
Estaban Loaiza
Hector Carrasco
Dmtri Young (All-Star)

haha what a list.  and there's plenty of more too.  although carrasco was pretty darn good in that year.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #15: April 07, 2011, 11:59:15 PM »

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #16: April 08, 2011, 02:04:02 PM »
twitter outburst:

SI_JonHeyman: Get this mets fans -- nats gm mike rizzo says ollie perez is throwing 91 mph. Straight from coach spin (great name) williams
LilDan0607: @SI_JonHeyman Jon I think he is but the GM got it reverse he is throwing 19 mph! Spare me Nationals please!
PaulS1954: @SI_JonHeyman Maybe Spin saw something the Mets didn't
TheJABOFellas: @SI_JonHeyman Jon, I think Spin is lying to you.

Spin Williams did talk about making a bunch of mechanical changes. Worth pointing out that Spin was Ollie's pitching coach during his best season (and 1 of 2 full seasons ever when OP had a WHIP under 1.40).

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #17: April 08, 2011, 02:05:56 PM »
Perez would have to be pretty lazy, or pretty dumb to see his velocity drop so badly and not go and look back at some old tape to see what's changed.

So I don't really know if Spin has done all that much to fix him.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #18: April 08, 2011, 02:07:35 PM »
Perez would have to be pretty lazy, or pretty dumb to see his velocity drop so badly and not go and look back at some old tape to see what's changed.

So I don't really know if Spin has done all that much to fix him.
Worth pointing out that Spin was Ollie's pitching coach during his best season (and 1 of 2 full seasons ever when OP had a WHIP under 1.40).

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #19: April 08, 2011, 02:15:34 PM »
Sounds like some spin from the Nats to me...

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #20: April 08, 2011, 02:21:51 PM »
Just like CMW being ready, right?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Oliver Perez assigned to Harrisburg
« Reply #21: May 17, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »
Well, lets see how long this lasts.

@washingnats

#Nats LHP Oliver Perez has been assigned to Double A Harrisburg.

Offline Mr Clean

Re: Oliver Perez assigned to Harrisburg
« Reply #22: May 17, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »
I would love to see him come back and beat his old team--in their house.

Offline houston-nat

Re: Oliver Perez assigned to Harrisburg
« Reply #23: May 17, 2011, 01:22:06 PM »
There's got to be room for some serious reporting there, on what he's been doing in Florida, what fixes they've tried to make, where he sits on the radar gun now, all that stuff. I'd really like to read a big fat article about the rebuilding of Oliver Perez.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #24: May 17, 2011, 02:06:53 PM »
Might as well bump this now. He's been assigned to AA Harrisburg, where I'm assuming he joins Peacock, Tatusko, and Shairon Martis in the rotation.