Author Topic: Nyjer Morgan traded to Brewers  (Read 11699 times)

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
Re: Nyjer Morgan traded to Brewers
« Reply #125: March 27, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »
Haha thanks guys, been getting a lot of that already and hasn't been an hour, I really couldn't resist.  Was hoping to find a big version of it for a background, but no success.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #126: March 27, 2011, 07:39:54 PM »
By the way... ex Nat Marco Estrada looks like he will be the Brewers #5 stater in their rotation. ST stats-1-1 record with a 1.88 ERA. Good for Marco!
ouch, he is AAAA material. :lmao: at the Brewers and Greinke

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #127: March 27, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »
ouch, he is AAAA material. :lmao: at the Brewers and Greinke

greinke is going to pwn souls when comes back.  but not when we face him 8)

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #128: March 27, 2011, 08:07:06 PM »
There are parts of this thread which makes me laugh my ass off. :lmao: Anyone paying attention should not be surprised.

This trade is the blindingly obvious coming to pass. Go back and KnorrForYourMoney and I openly called it back on February 24th; granted it was obvious well before this time. Secondly I am surprised we pumped and dumped him for even a marginal prospect. My respect for Rizzo and our P.R. department is one notch better as he got a bit more than a beer and nachos for the headcase.

Also to the minority of hypocritical nages who gave me crap, :poke: and  :spit:.

Trouble is it is a bitter pill. Any hope of speedy, defensive, CF, lead off hitter is dead until at least next year. :( Granted those don't show up in baseball very often.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #129: March 27, 2011, 08:20:02 PM »
It's a wash, yes. Difference is, one player has baggage, one doesn't. Look at our recent ST games against FL and STL... Near brawls in each, all because of Morgan. Thus, we win getting an albatross, an ungrateful one at that considering his comments recently, off the team. It's not a wash, we win. Addition by subtraction is still addition. Bye bye Nyjer, signed, your biggest fan. Not.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #131: March 27, 2011, 08:55:30 PM »
:lmao:

that is a pretty funny post i missed that earlier haha

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #132: March 27, 2011, 09:09:57 PM »

ESPN's fantasy report from Rotowire on Morgan, (since he's on my fantasy team):

"Carlos Gomez will still be the starting center fielder after Milwaukee traded for Morgan, GM Doug Melvin told the team's official web site. "We view [Morgan] as a little more than an extra guy, but we told Carlos to keep doing what he's doing," Melvin said.
Spin:
Both Morgan and Gomez may begin the season in the starting lineup with Corey Hart likely to begin the season on the DL. While Morgan hasn't been named a starter, it's not hard to see him getting more playing time. He could platoon with Gomez in center field and could take over the everyday job if Gomez struggles.

Morgan has been traded to Milwaukee for Cutter Dykstra, MLB.com reports.
Spin:
Morgan could take over center field for the Brewers and instantly gets a boost in fantasy value since he seemed headed for Triple-A with Washington."

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #133: March 27, 2011, 09:11:18 PM »
The Brewers have Wil Nieves and Nyjer Morgan. I wonder what Greinke's NCAA picks looked like.

He probably put VCU in the Final Four.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #134: March 27, 2011, 09:12:57 PM »
no when someone calls me out or brings up the topic i'm not just going to back away.  my intention was to move on.  i was ready to move on, but someone else brought it up.

how is it so hard to comprehend? 

It's hard to comprehend that anyone says they're done with a topic when in fact they don't mean that at all.  If you're not done with a topic then why say you are?  Make up your mind.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #135: March 27, 2011, 09:25:17 PM »
It's hard to comprehend that anyone says they're done with a topic when in fact they don't mean that at all.  If you're not done with a topic then why say you are?  Make up your mind.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: haha omg can you just trash all this bickering.  i have made up my mind and i thought i was pretty clear about it from the start.

go nats.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #136: March 27, 2011, 09:53:54 PM »
He probably put VCU in the Final Four.
What a dumbass.  They don't even belong in the tournament.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #137: March 27, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »
I just flipped thru the Baseball America Prospect Handbook, and Cutter is not the book. So, he was not one of the Brewers top 30 prospects.

Even so, I'm glad Nyjer is gone.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #138: March 27, 2011, 10:06:27 PM »
I just flipped thru the Baseball America Prospect Handbook, and Cutter is not the book. So, he was not one of the Brewers top 30 prospects.

Even so, I'm glad Nyjer is gone.

Can you tell me if Philip Cerreto for the St. Louis Cardinals is in their Top 30?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #139: March 27, 2011, 10:13:12 PM »
Can you tell me if Philip Cerreto for the St. Louis Cardinals is in their Top 30?

linty, too lazy to PM ya, damn i wish we could get sizemore/carmona.  carmona had a great spring.  i took grady as a sleeper for this year.

Offline Five Banners

« Reply #140: March 27, 2011, 10:23:59 PM »
Morgan never should've been allowed to sniff training camp in the first place and take up space, especially on a team with so many questions in the outfield.  Hopefully that's the last bit of any poisonous attitude the team will have to endure this season.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #141: March 28, 2011, 07:17:29 AM »
Another take on the trade from the other side:

Even Kevin Goldstein, who rated Dykstra in the top 20 Brewers prospects, said: "Not a fan of new #Nationals IF Cutter Dykstra who I saw many times in 2010. Doesn't have D chops to stay in IF; plus speed is gone."

Dykstra for Morgan is a clear win for the Brewers, in terms of talent.

Unfortunately, though, this move is not just about talent. There is a reason the Washington Nationals opted to trade Morgan for a light-hitting prospect without a clear defensive position.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/fanblogs/118754314.html

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #142: March 28, 2011, 07:33:46 AM »
Dave Nichols has posted a nice blog entry on why he thinks Rizzo made a mistake getting rid of Morgan.

http://natsnewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2011/03/morgan-trade-leaves-more-questions-than.html

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #143: March 28, 2011, 07:57:04 AM »
What does it mean that Dykstra's speed is gone?  How does that happen at 21 years old?  Was he injured?

Offline blue911

« Reply #144: March 28, 2011, 08:01:25 AM »
What does it mean that Dykstra's speed is gone?  How does that happen at 21 years old?  Was he injured?

He may mean that his (+) speed is gone.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #145: March 28, 2011, 08:52:02 AM »
Dave Nichols has posted a nice blog entry on why he thinks Rizzo made a mistake getting rid of Morgan.

http://natsnewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2011/03/morgan-trade-leaves-more-questions-than.html

I disagree with a ton in that article.

Because on Dec. 21 -- the day the Washington Nationals signed Rick Ankiel -- he "won" the job and it was the last day Nyjer Morgan was in their plans, in my humble opinion.

I think if Nyjer showed up to camp getting on base, playing hard, playing CF properly he could have won the job.

Plus, Morgan was the only option to lead off for this team.  With him gone, and Ankiel hitting sixth or seventh, Ian Desmond will be forced into a role that does not suit him and could potentially ruin his value with the bat if he allows the pressure to dictate what type of player he "should" be.

Morgan is a lead off hitter if you ignore OBP and look only at speed. Even then, he gets thrown out and picked off so much his speed is negated by his own recklessness. I don't consider Desmond or Nyjer to be good lead off options.

And actually, Desmond batting lead off could be good for his development. His job will be to get on base and work the count. Maybe this could cancel out some of his free-swinging attitude he has picked up from Guzman/Eckstein.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #146: March 28, 2011, 08:57:15 AM »
I basically stated in my blog that I think trading Morgan is a lot like selling crap you dont' want in an old RPG video game. You aren't really getting much for it, but it is better than throwing it in a dumpster.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #147: March 28, 2011, 09:07:53 AM »
Nope - not only is he not in the Top 30 - he isn't shown anywhere in their organization depth chart which shows 40 position players and 41 pitchers.

As a 22yo playing rookie ball, I'd say that he was a little old for the level. But batting .425 is impressive for anyone.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #148: March 28, 2011, 09:09:31 AM »
He may mean that his (+) speed is gone.

Yeah - I got that - but how does that happen?  Did he never have plus speed and they judged him wrongly to begin with (the Brewers, I mean, and the scouting reports from when he was drafted)?  Did he have some kind injury? 

I don't get how someone can be fast at 19 and 20 years old and then at 21 not be fast anymore.  He did steal a few bases last year and got caught a fair amount too - I wonder if the guy was referring to the CS numbers in some fashion when referring to the speed being gone.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #149: March 28, 2011, 09:11:43 AM »
I disagree with a ton in that article.

I think if Nyjer showed up to camp getting on base, playing hard, playing CF properly he could have won the job.

Morgan is a lead off hitter if you ignore OBP and look only at speed. Even then, he gets thrown out and picked off so much his speed is negated by his own recklessness. I don't consider Desmond or Nyjer to be good lead off options.

And actually, Desmond batting lead off could be good for his development. His job will be to get on base and work the count. Maybe this could cancel out some of his free-swinging attitude he has picked up from Guzman/Eckstein.
Wih Weerth hitting behind him, if Desmond remains a free swinger - at least he'll be free-swinging at more fastballs and picthes in the strike zone.