Author Topic: The Future Of Baseball On The Space Coast  (Read 18805 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: The Future Of Baseball On The Space Coast
« Reply #50: April 08, 2011, 09:53:45 AM »
John Perrotto, BP, April 4:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=13429

:az: :az: :az: New complex? I can take my son to Spring Training the first year, that's how memories are made :) Orlando would be more than ideal, although Naples is gorgeous.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #51: April 08, 2011, 10:13:54 AM »
 :pray: :pray: :pray:

Orlando!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #52: April 08, 2011, 11:19:35 AM »
John Perrotto, BP, April 4:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=13429

I'm not sure of the lay out at City of Palms, but I understand that there's about a mile or two between the park and the minor league fields.  With the Red Sox leaving that complex, I suppose there is time for a major renovation of City of Palms, but that still leaves a long walk / ride to the practice fields. I don't know if there is enough space on the minor league fields to build a stadium with parking and practice fields.  Orlando would be closer to Tampa Bay and still be within distance of the East Coast teams, so I'd think that'd be preferred to Fort Myers, but the Fort is aggressive, wants a 3d team, and has hosted the Nats managment several times.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #53: April 08, 2011, 11:27:20 AM »
I'm not sure of the lay out at City of Palms, but I understand that there's about a mile or two between the park and the minor league fields.  With the Red Sox leaving that complex, I suppose there is time for a major renovation of City of Palms, but that still leaves a long walk / ride to the practice fields. I don't know if there is enough space on the minor league fields to build a stadium with parking and practice fields.  Orlando would be closer to Tampa Bay and still be within distance of the East Coast teams, so I'd think that'd be preferred to Fort Myers, but the Fort is aggressive, wants a 3d team, and has hosted the Nats managment several times.

not impressed with that place at all.

granted i have never been there, just going off of word of mouth and what i've seen ... it looks like an old park already, not in a great neighborhood (or at least not a lot of stuff to do), the complex is way up the road, etc.

i wouldn't mind staying in viera, but i think the dream is dead.  a move to orlando would be excellent, but i hope we get our own facility.  not share it with anyone. 

Offline bud

« Reply #54: April 08, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
Please no Arizona.  Granted, I want to see a move to the southern Gulf coast.  I keep saying I'll make it down for SP one year. If the Nats go to Arizona, I doubt I'll ever make it.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #56: February 06, 2012, 06:03:52 PM »
more on City of Palms efforts to woo the Nats:

http://ballparkdigest.com/201202064481/major-league-baseball/features/lee-county-pitches-nats-on-spring-training-move

City of Palms comes off as desperate in this article.  Seems like the Orlando site is more likely, although the team will use any leverage they can to get the best deal.

Offline axman

« Reply #57: February 06, 2012, 06:39:47 PM »
The City of Palms site may not be optimal, but after visiting Arizona last year I think the Gulf Coast is the way to go.  The convenience of the concentration of stadia in Phoenix is hard to beat, and the closest thing to that in Florida is the Fort Meyers-Tampa corridor.  Even Orlando is a bit remote, given I-4 traffic, unless all of the Atlantic teams relocated there.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #58: February 06, 2012, 06:52:14 PM »
Agreed. Arizona is for all intents and purposes as far as California. It makes no sense for a team less than 100 miles from the Atlantic Ocean to play Spring ball there. I will say, though, that I was in Arizona for a Spring game last year (business trip) and it was a great climate for baseball.
Please no Arizona.  Granted, I want to see a move to the southern Gulf coast.  I keep saying I'll make it down for SP one year. If the Nats go to Arizona, I doubt I'll ever make it.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #59: February 06, 2012, 07:06:50 PM »
The City of Palms site may not be optimal, but after visiting Arizona last year I think the Gulf Coast is the way to go.  The convenience of the concentration of stadia in Phoenix is hard to beat, and the closest thing to that in Florida is the Fort Meyers-Tampa corridor.  Even Orlando is a bit remote, given I-4 traffic, unless all of the Atlantic teams relocated there.

Orlando is far from remote, they'd play the majority of their games against the Astros and Braves with virtually no travel.  Then the Tigers are a short drive away along with the five(?) teams in the Tampa area. 

Offline Moore Athletic

« Reply #60: February 06, 2012, 09:00:25 PM »
Orlando is far from remote, they'd play the majority of their games against the Astros and Braves with virtually no travel.  Then the Tigers are a short drive away along with the five(?) teams in the Tampa area. 

We stayed in Orlando last Spring, and it allowed us to catch games in Viera as well as the Tampa area.  We also squeezed in a day at Universal Studios.  Plus, we drove, and I'm glad we didn't have to tack another 3 hours or so onto the trip each way as we would if the Nats end up on the southern Gulf Coast.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #61: February 06, 2012, 09:05:33 PM »
We stayed in Orlando last Spring, and it allowed us to catch games in Viera as well as the Tampa area.  We also squeezed in a day at Unversal Studios.  Plus, we drove, and I'm glad we didn't have to tack another 3 hours or so onto the trip as we would if the Nats end up on the southern Gulf Coast.

Bingo

Offline imref

« Reply #62: February 06, 2012, 09:58:19 PM »

i imagine as a player, being in Orlando for 6 weeks would really suck vs. being near the coast.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #63: February 07, 2012, 02:10:31 PM »
once again ... no to moving to City of Palms Park.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #64: February 07, 2012, 09:14:49 PM »
i imagine as a player, being in Orlando for 6 weeks would really suck vs. being near the coast.

Depends on which part of the coast, Viera is pretty dull.  In any case as an owner I doubt if I would factor the players preferences into the decision, in fact i'd probably want to pick a spot where there is less trouble to be found.

Offline mach1ne

« Reply #65: February 08, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »
I'm planning to head down the weekend of March 9th to catch games on Friday and Saturday. I've been to Viera for work and it's not the greatest area for fun but the beach is at least close.  Zuckerman posted an article this morning on what there is to do in Viera.

http://www.csnwashington.com/blog/nationals-talk/post/Fans-Guide-to-Spring-Training-Viera?blockID=647290&feedID=6458&awid=7227175604412844395-849

Offline imref

« Reply #66: February 08, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »
I'm planning to head down the weekend of March 9th to catch games on Friday and Saturday. I've been to Viera for work and it's not the greatest area for fun but the beach is at least close.  Zuckerman posted an article this morning on what there is to do in Viera.

http://www.csnwashington.com/blog/nationals-talk/post/Fans-Guide-to-Spring-Training-Viera?blockID=647290&feedID=6458&awid=7227175604412844395-849

if you have any time at all, and haven't been there before, spend a day at the Kennedy Space Center.

We went to a game at Viera a few years ago - I just remember it was windy,  cold in the shade, and blistering hot in the sun.  There was no in-between.

« Reply #67: February 08, 2012, 10:34:37 PM »
Went to City of Palms in Fort Myers last spring and was not impressed with the stadium or the area.  Much work needs to be done with the place.  That's why the Red Sox moved to a new 78 million dollar complex.

As for the Space Coast area, a visit to the Kennedy Space Center is a must.  The beaches are great and its very easy to get to Orlando.  Hope the Nationals stay put.

Offline OldNatsFan

« Reply #68: February 09, 2012, 09:20:36 AM »
I hope they stay put, too. I have been driving down the past few years and staying at Cocoa Beach. I'm not too enthused about driving further. I guess Orlando wouldn't be too bad but I would probably quit going if they move all the way down to Ft. Myers.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #69: February 09, 2012, 09:34:54 AM »
Went to City of Palms in Fort Myers last spring and was not impressed with the stadium or the area.  Much work needs to be done with the place.  That's why the Red Sox moved to a new 78 million dollar complex.

i've even heard from Red Sox fans this place is not an ideal ST site. 

JUST SAY NO!

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #70: February 09, 2012, 11:22:55 AM »

I've been to spring games in both AZ and FL, and AZ is a far and away better experience. The teams are all clustered around Phoenix. You can stay in one place and see games at a bunch of different complexes without much driving. Florida - the teams are all over the state with hours of driving between facilities. And the weather is much more consistent in Phoenix.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #71: February 09, 2012, 11:31:32 AM »
Agree to all this, but the fan base is here, and the weather in Florida might be better training for Spring baseball in OurNationsCapital.

I've been to spring games in both AZ and FL, and AZ is a far and away better experience. The teams are all clustered around Phoenix. You can stay in one place and see games at a bunch of different complexes without much driving. Florida - the teams are all over the state with hours of driving between facilities. And the weather is much more consistent in Phoenix.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #72: February 09, 2012, 11:33:13 AM »
Agree to all this, but the fan base is here, and the weather in Florida might be better training for Spring baseball in OurNationsCapital.

If you are driving, I can see your point. Florida, while far, is drivable.

But if you are flying and getting a hotel and rental car, what is the difference?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #73: February 09, 2012, 11:36:14 AM »
I would drive. And I think it's cheaper to fly to Florida, but maybe that's just a mindfact.

If you are driving, I can see your point. Florida, while far, is drivable.

But if you are flying and getting a hotel and rental car, what is the difference?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #74: February 09, 2012, 12:12:21 PM »
I would drive. And I think it's cheaper to fly to Florida, but maybe that's just a mindfact.

If you shop and give yourself some lead time, you can get to both places relatively cheaply. If you fly the weekend of March 22-25, Southwest can get you to Phoenix for $455 RT; Orlando looks to be about $100 less.