Author Topic: "The Extra 2 percent" - reviews and discussion  (Read 5522 times)

Offline saltydad

Here was another slogger from school, and at 6 pounds it was no fun to carry.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
the thing about ethics is ...

(Image removed from quote.)

so sounds like a good read

Veronica Vaughn, soooo hot, want to touch the heinie

Offline HalfSmokes

This was my favorite in college

But for pure impenetrable crap, this won

Offline blue911

Immanuel Kant was a real piss ant

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
So, who read it? What did you think?

I was a little disappointed. It was a good read, but it didn't go very deep into what the Rays were doing to make personnel decisions. It read more like a history of the Rays.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
I'm curious too, from what Blue said it sounds kind of like a letdown.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
So, who read it? What did you think?

I was a little disappointed. It was a good read, but it didn't go very deep into what the Rays were doing to make personnel decisions. It read more like a history of the Rays.

Agreed. It didn't go nearly as deep as Money Ball. Much more of a summary of the history of the Rays and the people that run it, than anything they were doing to get better.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Agreed. It didn't go nearly as deep as Money Ball. Much more of a summary of the history of the Rays and the people that run it, than anything they were doing to get better.

Yeah, I agree completely. I was going to make the Moneyball comparison as well. This book didn't stack up. It's a fine book, but it was marketed like it would really get into the "wall street strategies" that made the Rays successful, and it didn't.

Offline Obed_Marsh

But for pure impenetrable crap, this won

Hegel is pain but nothing compares to James Joyce's Finnegans Wake. I still wrestle with it on occasion.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Agreed. It didn't go nearly as deep as Money Ball.

The problem with Moneyball is that both Beane and Lewis ignored the open air PED market in the A's locker room.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Supposedly, Beane talked freely with Lewis because he figured out other teams would catch on to his particular strategies (OBP, college emphasis, etc...) by the time the book came out and he'd move on to other things.  The Rays people kept their particular methods more concealed from Keri because they still viewed it as valuable and as giving them an advantage over other franchises.