Author Topic: Jon Heyman:Phillies have asked nationals about OF Michael Morse  (Read 1826 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Particularly when he jacks two in one night.
Then somebody needs to tell Riggs so he can play him once in a while.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Particularly when he jacks two in one night.
That's grounds for benching right there.

Offline ZimmerMint Berry Crunch

• http://sharkadina.blogspot.com
    • Street Shark: Roger Bernadina's Unofficial Blog
Since the nats don't really know what his potential is, I say let's see what he is worth on the market.  So much buzz around him... Although I am biased because I want more playing time for the shark.  I have liked Morse since he was a young shortstop in Seattle though

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
+1...we just took their best position player from 2010 away

:lmao:

Overstate much?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
He was their best position player in 2010.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
:lmao:

Overstate much?

Grease Utley, Ryan Howard, Victorino, Ruiz, none of them are better. Rollins sucks. On and on.

Offline NatsDad14

Chase Utley is better than Werth. If you can't see that, you are dumb. Werth is behind Utley, ahead of Howard and Victorino.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Having Morse and Bernie fighting it out is a good problem to have. Throwing in Ankel and Morgan in the competition makes it even better.

Offline Dave B

No, not at all, and I stand by my comment.

By the way, I think trading players within your division (unless it's the Eagles taking advantage of Snyder, but that's a different sport) is the dumbest possible move a baseball GM can make.  The Marlins just did it by giving Uggla to the Braves, and now they have to face the guy 18 times a year.  We should never deal with the Phillies, Mets, Marlins, or Braves.

you have to be in same league to be in the same division. we can pretty much trade with anybody

snide comments aside, it works both ways. we have to face our former player, they have to face theirs. the dumbness cancels out

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
No, not at all, and I stand by my comment.

By the way, I think trading players within your division (unless it's the Eagles taking advantage of Snyder, but that's a different sport) is the dumbest possible move a baseball GM can make.  The Marlins just did it by giving Uggla to the Braves, and now they have to face the guy 18 times a year.  We should never deal with the Phillies, Mets, Marlins, or Braves.

If you want to get technical and say that Werth was their best player in one single year and that it's some sort of grand heist we pulled based on that, fine.  You win.  He was great in his walk year. 

But if you honestly think the Nats pilfered the Phillies' best position player you're positively fooling yourself.  Utley and Rollins are both better and you could argue that Victorino is more valuable. 

I'm happy we got Werth - he's the one position player I wanted us to sign from another team (even more than Crawford) but we in no way stole the best position player from the Phillies.  I'd say he wasn't even top three.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Does it really matter?  We paid MVP money for a role player that may or may not still be productive should all of the stars line up and we get competitive.  If Werth was valued that much by the Phillies they wouldn't have let him go to a division competitor...

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
Does it really matter?  We paid MVP money for a role player that may or may not still be productive should all of the stars line up and we get competitive.  If Werth was valued that much by the Phillies they wouldn't have let him go to a division competitor...
He may not be an MVP but he ain't no role player.

And the reasons we overpaid (no arguing there) have been well chronicled. It's what losing teams have to do to get good players to come. Put it another way, I'm glad he's on our side and not theirs this year.

Offline PANatsFan

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Rollins is done for

I don't know about that.  Let's see how he looks in Spring Training before predicting his doom.

Offline PANatsFan

I don't know about that.  Let's see how he looks in Spring Training before predicting his doom.

He needs to learn to take a walk if he isn't going to make contact

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
He may not be an MVP but he ain't no role player.

And the reasons we overpaid (no arguing there) have been well chronicled. It's what losing teams have to do to get good players to come. Put it another way, I'm glad he's on our side and not theirs this year.

In what world is he a role player?  A role like one of the best right fielders in all of baseball?

Offline blue911

In what world is he a role player?  A role like one of the best right fielders in all of baseball?

Albert Pujols is a role player. Only his role is bigger than everybody else's.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
you have to be in same league to be in the same division. we can pretty much trade with anybody

snide comments aside, it works both ways. we have to face our former player, they have to face theirs. the dumbness cancels out

Right.  I've never understood the "don't trade in your division" stigma.  It seems stupid to me when a trade is presumed to be relatively equal exchange of consideration.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
If Werth was valued that much by the Phillies they wouldn't have let him go to a division competitor...

They didn't really have a choice, nor know where he was going to sign.  And somehow I don't think they feel particularly threatened.

:?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
I cannot blame them. I think Morse is extremely, completely undervalued here.

fixed.

Rizzo and Riggleman both hate Morse for some reason.

Offline Coladar

Right.  I've never understood the "don't trade in your division" stigma.  It seems stupid to me when a trade is presumed to be relatively equal exchange of consideration.

Exactly. Should you then intentionally not make a trade that improves your team? That makes no sense. And as others have already stated, the exact opposite of your statement applies and cancels itself out. If we should never trade within the division because of a negative effect to our team, then the team we are trading to shouldn't do so either for same negative effect, and renders itself moot.

If you are going to get a steal of a deal, it doesn't matter who you are trading with. You make the trade, period. The only time I might alter this opinion if it involves your FotF, a Pujols or Zimmerman type. I don't think any trade another team might make is worth it then. Because they aren't going to make a deal so one-sided as to be ridiculous. And then you have to deal with losing the face of the team, your star player, to a team that is a rival, that the fan base despises, and watch that player in your hated rivals uniform 18 games a year. I think we all can agree that under almost any conceivable circumstance, you don't trade franchise players to division rivals. Michael Morse isn't a franchise star, so it's another moot point. The only three I'd label as such would be Zimmerman, Harper and Strasburg, and those three ain't getting traded to no one.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
In a Morse trade, Philly would likely be the one getting the steal.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
I hope we don't trade Morse for Blanton.