Author Topic: Jon Heyman:Phillies have asked nationals about OF Michael Morse  (Read 1829 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Morse for Hammels straight up- he should be worth a number 4 starter :mg:

Offline NATS1137

• Playoffs!
why in god's name would we help the philth in philly

Offline Obed_Marsh

I cannot blame them. I think Morse is undervalued here.

Offline meagl

Mike Morse would be a great fit for the Phillies in RF. I think Ben Francisco should only be use in LF when they face left handed starters. Morse had a 133 OPS+ in his 98 games played last year with a .352 OBP. He would be a great fit to bat 5th and give the Phillies a right handed bat in the middle of the order.

hes a very underrated player. It was good to see the Phillies asking about him, but they obviously wont be able to get him

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Tim Dierks on MLBTR says the Nats have no interest in trading Morse and are high on him based on his work with Eckstein (I assume this means swinging at more pitches, striking out more, and walking less)

:whip: :whip:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Mike Morse would be a great fit for the Phillies in RF. I think Ben Francisco should only be use in LF when they face left handed starters. Morse had a 133 OPS+ in his 98 games played last year with a .352 OBP. He would be a great fit to bat 5th and give the Phillies a right handed bat in the middle of the order.

hes a very underrated player. It was good to see the Phillies asking about him, but they obviously wont be able to get him

that's not true - they could send us Brown and Hamels for Morse and Morgan.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
that's not true - they could send us Brown and Hamels for Morse and Morgan.

The Nats could field an entire team of Browns, get Kevin Brown to manage.

Offline hammondsnats

hahahahaha :clap:

remember a couple years ago we had an idea of having a team full of maybe adam?  i can't remember the first name, but we had a pretty darn good line-up.  (maybe it was ryan).

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline JMUalumni

Charlie Brown could be the mascot.

Offline NatsDad14

hahahahaha :clap:

remember a couple years ago we had an idea of having a team full of maybe adam?  i can't remember the first name, but we had a pretty darn good line-up.  (maybe it was ryan).
Adam LaRoche
Adam Kennedy
Adam Zimmerman

We are 1/3 of the way

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
No more Adam Kennedy.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
What about a team full of Zimmermans?  Each one having one additional n at the end.  Zimmermannnnn to Zimmermannn to Zimmermannnnnnnnn double play.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
also -

freak the phillies.

Offline UMDNats

How does this team believe in Morse? He's the logical player to stick in LF with his bat but all Riggleman does is send him to the bench.

Love to see what Morse could with 500 MLB AB's.

Offline DPMOmaha

Why would/should he be given the job before we even flip the calendar to March?  Let's let the two of them battle it out this spring.  It sounds like they both took the off season seriously which should make for some good competition.  They both know playing time is up for grabs, it wouldn't make any sense for anyone to be given the job before they even take the field for the first game.

Offline HalfSmokes

Because historically spring trainings stats are a worse predictor of success in a given season than the previous year's stats?

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
How does this team believe in Morse? He's the logical player to stick in LF with his bat but all Riggleman does is send him to the bench.

We'll see what happens. The guy put up better numbers than Willingham last year despite less time, and his career numbers speak for themselves. It's obvious why people compare him to Werth - their career arcs are so similar. It's incredible that Nyjer Morgan shows a flash of productivity with anamolous BABIP over a couple of months, and the organization acts like that is the norm, while Morse has been pretty consistent his whole career as a part time player, and they act like it's abnormal. And I love the whole, "some in the Nats organization think he can't hit elite pitching" crap. What the hell is that. Nobody is saying he is Pujols, just that he is a better option than Willie Harris and should at least be considered as half of a platoon. The guy put up the numbers that he did facing good and bad pitching. Are we supposed to believe that the regulars throughout the league that don't hit as well overall hit elite pitching well but suck against crappy pitching? What a load of nonsense.

Sure, he hasn't hit Halladay (in all of 6 ABs against him), but he's hit Adam Wainwright, Tim Hudson, Sabathia, Volquez, Beckett, Scherzer, etc. But that's all meaningless, because he's only faced two pitchers 10 or more times.

Even Rizzo said when he acquired him, he "can flat out hit." So what's the problem? It's not like the guy is Matt Lecroy. Other than his rookie season when he played Shortstop (where he was actually a bit better than the 2010 Desmond), the guy has committed zero errors. His lack of playing time makes no sense on a team that has been so dreadful.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Tim Dierks on MLBTR says the Nats have no interest in trading Morse and are high on him based on his work with Eckstein (I assume this means swinging at more pitches, striking out more, and walking less)

Then somebody needs to tell Riggs so he can play him once in a while.

Offline PC

The worst part of this Heyman tweet is that there's no follow up tweet saying "the Nationals laughed in the Phillies face and told them to hit the (metaphorical) bricks.

...and then the Nationals laughed some more.  "

Now that's a tweet I'd like to read.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
I cannot blame them. I think Morse is undervalued here.
The Phils have a good eye for the next Jayson Werth. They spotted the first one.